Pete Millett Hybrid MAX - PCB
Dec 2, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

roncruiser

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm absolutely new to the forum, but not new to the world of audio. I'd like to try my hand at building a Pete Millett Hybrid MAX, but the Beezar site states they are out of the MAX PCB's and that they would be available in a few weeks. Does anyone know "Available in a few weeks" relative to what date???

I'm pretty psyched about it and any information would be nice.... thanks!

Ron

p.s. my other goal is to DIY an all tube amp similar to the Woo Audio 6. Any suggestions for a like amp please post...thanks again.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by roncruiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s. my other goal is to DIY an all tube amp similar to the Woo Audio 6. Any suggestions for a like amp please post...thanks again.

If you want an all tube amp, why the MAX Hybrid?

All tube? I'd suggest you look here: The Bijou Headphone Amplifier

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by roncruiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s. my "other" goal is to DIY an all tube amp similar to the Woo Audio 6. Any suggestions for a like amp please post...thanks again.

I did say my "OTHER" goal.... sheesh
wink.gif

Thanks for the recommendation on the "all tube amp".

Any other recommendations...?

BTW... I am using search as well.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 19
Right, missed that
smily_headphones1.gif

About the PCB's, PM/mail: tomb

Not sure the 1.2 is finalized yet, once tomb is able to order the PCBs he will probably announce the availably
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 19
Have a look at the SOHA II.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 19
Why not build the Millett Hybrid MiniMAX ? It's essentially the same as the MAX, just a little smaller!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not sure how safe it is to jump straight into a bijou or the sorts just yet, you could potentially fry your willie off with its high voltages... or worse.. fry yourself off your willie... or both.. aargh
redface.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I'm not sure how safe it is to jump straight into a bijou or the sorts just yet, you could potentially fry your willie off with its high voltages... or worse.. fry yourself off your willie... or both.. aargh
redface.gif

I'm a test engineer... building and testing is what I do for a living. I have access to a well equipped lab and all it's offerings. I'm sure my willie will be just fine
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 19
So many threads so little time...
Where can I go to purchase a Bijou PCB and all it's bits and pieces?

Is there a central source?

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the recommendation to just grab a mini-max pcb.

Sound like a good place to start...
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 19
glassjaraudio is the main proponent of kits. not sure if he has mini-max pcb and kits yet, but he has others. he has the SOHA II as well, just ask him, hasn't put it out as a kit yet on his webpage. I wouldn't bother with the regular SOHA.

One that hasn't had much mention is the EHHA. I am going to do that as my next hybrid, after I clean out my todo list of builds. It should be interesting, to say the least, as the topology is different from all the other hybrids. I don't think Jeff Rossel (glass jar audio) has kits for that, but I think sourcing the parts from mouser/digikey/ebay/etc. will run you roughly $300 or so, so plan a budget of $500 and you should be OK with the EHHA.

Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amlifier for parts list, etc.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 19
Dec 3, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 19
I jumped in a started buying components for the miniMax!
biggrin.gif

Future project might be the SOHO II...

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 19
cool. you'll have fun!
biggrin.gif
Enjoy the build. You'll be chatting to some helpful folk on the miniMAX thread. Tom is a marvel on his own though, and the site that he's put up... <goes off to listen to his miniMAX>
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back