PerreauxSXH-1 now at Hi-Fi Farm
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 33
$500?! are you kidding me? knowing what AA was selling them for, is anyone going to buy this? are we now going to see used ones in the buy/sell forum go for $400?

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 33
$500 is probably the price they should have been selling for in the past. Perreaux is a New Zealand company and they sell for about US$500 in Australia so I can't see why they should be cheaper in the USA.

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 33
Holy cow, I'm so glad I got it from AA before they sold out
frown.gif

edit:

Hi Fi Farm now carries Perreaux!
Take advantage of our special introductory offer!!!

eek.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 33
I think AA had them listed for $399.00, but would sell them on special for $300.00. Of course maybe they knew they were ending their franchise and wanted to clear them out.

This is a good amplifier, but some people are going to balk at the new price of $499.00. I'm not saying it isn't worth the money. However, at that price there might be alternatives that people might want to look at. I'd be thinking XP-7.

Does Hifi Farm discount like AA?

I do own and love the Perreaux.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 33
AA's list price was $349.00, and they sold it for $299.00 occasionally. AA explained many times that this amp was an excellent value because they directly imported Perreaux products and thus had no distributor to deal with (and the extra costs they would have had to pay them for product). One salesman told me that this amp should have retailed near $500 if it wasn't for this. Who knows what the deal is here though, either Perreaux jacked up the cost, HiFi Farm has a distributor to deal with or HiFi Farm just wants to make some more $$$.

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030
Holy cow, I'm so glad I got it from AA before they sold out
frown.gif

edit:

Hi Fi Farm now carries Perreaux!
Take advantage of our special introductory offer!!!

eek.gif

Ditto, lucky I got mines before AA sold out. At $500 it would of taken me little while longer before I'm able to get one.

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 33
Hi Farm is advertising the price is now going to $599 on Audiogon. First the increase from AA price to the $499 and now another increase to $599. I would think at that price there are just too many competitors.

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 33
Yeah. At that price...not worth it. Unless they replace the dinky knob with the (in)famous $350 wooden ones!

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 33
The value, and sound quality of the Perreaux SXH1 still worth IMO the 500.00, I do not recall any other amp around that price that make the CD3000 sing like that ( and other casn also).....but what happen is that we already know of the prior price, and it is very uncomfortable and sad to get "ripped off" like that, but FYI, I even had contacted some other retailers in other parts of the planet, and all of them sell it for around that price.
And I know for sure that if instead of 350.00, AA would sold it for 500.00, a lot more members right now would have it and now we may have a whole community of Perreaux Dinky Knobs around, I know of at least 5 members that would get one just to try it, but at 350, was too good to be true for them....LOL...

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Raising the price to $500 just brings them closer to being looked over for another amp.

Their former price made them a tempting budget wonder.

-Ed

You can look over if you want, but don't expect ot get too many options at this price point that will match in heaven with CD3000 at least....unless DIY....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I do not recall any at least....So it depends also of the can you are trying to amp....

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 33
At 500 dollars, the perreaux is a fair deal. However, the 400 dollars PPA should sound better than the Perreaux. I agree with Sov that the CD3K and Perreaux have a magic combo, but still, I prefer my PPA to the Perreaux.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back