Apr 7, 2004 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Mike K

New Head-Fier
I was fully prepared to buy one of these units from Audioadvisor
for $350; I will not, however, buy one for $599. Especially since
I am having 2nd thoughts about my previously expressed
intention to buy a solidstate amp: the MG HEAD OTL has come
up on the radar as a fine little amp for my Senn 600s, and it's
only $359, and there's a local distributor ... we shall see.

Mike

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 56
Well, compared to what's available in the $600 range, the selling rate must slow down on these, now
confused.gif

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Insane! Granted I've never heard it, but from what people write about it, it seemed like the "market" price should be $400-500, not $600. Oh well. Do I smell PPA sales on the rise?
biggrin.gif

Nope, that's the smell of fustration coming from my Larocco PPA Countdown
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 56
Say goodbye to any more Perreaux sales in the US now. At $400 or below they sounded like quite a deal. At $600 they just lost a lot of sales due to competition in a much stiffer market.

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 56
That, ah, whew, that's just silly. I liked this amp a lot and found it to be a bargain at $300-350, but I mean approaching double that now? It's a nice amp but, gah...I'm speechless. It actually has many competitive traits with amplifiers in this price range but IMO it falls short in enough areas to be realistically competitive. It's too bad really, somebody is making a big mistake.

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 56
I agree with what has been said so far about the SXH-1 going for $600. I got mines for $350 just before AA was to discontinue carrying it. It's a good amp but now at nearly $600 I would consider other alternatives that are cheaper.

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 56
At that price, great as the SXH-1 is, I'd get a PPX or used EMP instead. Oh wait, I did!
smily_headphones1.gif

I really don't know what these companies are thinking, but the once-bargain Perreaux is no more
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 56
I have the Perreaux, and it ain't worth $600.

Bye Perreaux.

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 56
eek.gif

Looks like the best "bargain component" amp has become either the PPX3 or HD300. This one was a huge bargain for $300, but isn't anywhere close for twice that.

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 56
Don't forget wooaudio...I hope it's a good value because I'm putting my buck on it
tongue.gif
Woo is modding mine to make it a preamp as well, similar to the hd300.

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 56
Two additional things should be noted about this price increase: 1) this amp has had major quality problems (see related thread on this site) and 2) HiFiFarm is no Audioadvisor when it comes to their return policy. I would think long and hard before buying this amp at anything like this price without a an easy out in case it doesn't live up to expectations.

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 56
I agree with all the post here. I don't think the any headfi member will buy the Perreaux from them. I'm quite sure that their sell will depend heavily on the non-headfi member.

Purk

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
I agree with all the post here. I don't think the any headfi member will buy the Perreaux from them. I'm quite sure that their sell will depend heavily on the non-headfi member.

Purk

Yeah, the public at large has no idea they're being charged so much more for the same product. I wonder if all the bad units caused this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back