Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #526 of 1,454
My right side Be tend to fall when I walk. Does somebody use earlock or something similar to tighten the fit?
Try a different sized ear tip. From my time doing hearing aids back in the day, I learned that about 90% of the population has different sized ear canals to the point they needed different hearing aid tips. We designed and tooled our own tips for Periodic, so that we could cover a wider range with each size - but you may still need different sizes.

Personally, I use a large on the left, but use a medium on the right. This is for our foam units.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #527 of 1,454
My right side Be tend to fall when I walk. Does somebody use earlock or something similar to tighten the fit?

To get good fit security try a foam tip as Dan mentioned or the Symbio Silicon/Foam hybrids. Personally I prefer the sound of the symbios. Also like he says, I have to use a small tip in one ear and a medium in the other. Fit security is pretty good with the foam/symbio when you use the correct size. Single flange silicons tend to fall out if I'm moving even when I'm using the correct size.

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #529 of 1,454
Unfortunately all the Europe Ukrainian dealer doesn't have an english version of the website which make the order difficult.
I was wondering if you'll have restock on your website directly.

PS: the last Ukrainian dealer is missing a ":" on the website adress after https
Note we now have all items in stock; the web store should be updated in the next day or two!

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #530 of 1,454
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #531 of 1,454
I'm using earlocks to keep them stable in my ears, and they have made a world of difference for me.

The actual earlocks I'm using are the ones that come in a Venture Electronics (veclan.com) "Ex-pack" (not "Ex-pack lite" which doesn't include these) -- simply because I happened to have some on hand. But probably BudLoks or anything similar will work.

FWIW I have always had trouble with all universal-fit earphones that aren't super deep canal phones like Etys, because the shape of my ears won't let outer-ear phones get in deep enough to seal with a smaller tip, and the largest sized tips aren't quite big enough to seal with a shallow insertion. With my Be and Mg I have tried the largest size of every tip I can find (including all the supplied ones, every Comply shape, the Symbios, SpinFit TwinBlade, and others), and so far the best for me are Spiral Dot Large, which are big enough to seal but not quite big enough to give a secure fit while walking. Earlocks have solved that for me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #532 of 1,454
I have experimented with supplied ear tips quite some time. I noticed silicon eartips sound a bit shallower and two flange tips felt to me awkward. The best results I got with foam tips middle size, both sq and comfort. Unfortunately, I destoyed smalllest foams when I tried take them off that nozzle. I think nozzle size is quite big for the foam tips and therefore putting them on/off is quite delicate task. Then today I took another quite long walk, paired them with Opus#1 and now they stay firm. Everything sounds balanced, bass hits clean and punchy. The Be have such realistic timbre without fatigue. Happy listening to all!

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #533 of 1,454
Anyone have any recommendations on what tips to use for the Be? Right now I'm using spinfit, but I'm just wondering what tip gels best with the sound signature of these; in my experience with some Trinity products, the tips can really have a huge effect and some gel way better with the signature than others. Comfort isn't really an issue. So far I've tried spinfit, spiral dot, and the silicon ones included with the Be. Haven't tried foams yet since I don't like the dampening of the highs usually. So far I think the spinfits probably sound best of the ones I've tried, but not 100% certain..

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
I've tried several and am happy with Spiral Dot. The large is a perfect fit for me. Easy to see the left versus right colors.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #534 of 1,454
So, I had the BEs for a few days now. It's still in the process of burn-in(i know Dan doesn't believe in it) but I still hear differences. out of the box, it sounds neutral in a natural. The right amount of bass, midrange warmth, and treble. After few days, the treble seems to reduce and midrange darkens a little. Bass is a bit too much for me in its current state. The detail in the midrange is phenomenal though. I had the Isine 10 and Shure se846 a few months ago and I can tell right away that the BE is way more detailed with much better layering. What really stood out for me is that vocals have amazing depth and separation. There are just layers of detail in the midrange area. There is no question that these are the best in its class. The real question is, just how many >$1000 earphone is this slaying. I can tell that the SE846 is out. SE846 doesn't have any big weakness except that it doesn't have the micro detailing of a 'high-end' product. It's an upper-midrange product to me.

As good as the midrange and treble is, the bass doesn't shout 'high end' to me. It's an upper mid-fi kind of bass. Fairly quick, detailed and excellent extension but it is not super fast. A headphone analogy would be the BEs are like Nighthawk's bass rather than hi-fi bass of Focal Elear. Design wise, earphones are very light but i wish the cable was just a little thicker. it's too thin for it to be durable. They do come with 5 year warranty so I'm not too worried about it. Those with small ear canals might want to try these first as well as they come with large bores. Lack of cable slider is the biggest issue for me. I had to DIY one myself.

Overall, this is a giant slayer product. It does have some quirks (no cable slider, thin cables) but the SQ is multiples classes above its price class. The relative slowness of the bass means that this is not the best for fast music like modern pop. They shine best with music with lots of vocals, deep soundstage, and has heaps of details.

This is coming from the direct output of the lightning adapter of iPhone. I'm currently waiting for Mytek Clef to be out so i'll update my impression with those as well.

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #535 of 1,454
From what I have read (on our local Russian forums), lows can be controlled much better with a neutral source, be it DAC for iPhone/Android or some mid-fi DAP. I'll let you know how it sounds with iBasso DX80 and Encore mDAC&mDSD (as well as HRT Microstreamer) as soon as my pair comes from US.

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #536 of 1,454
Another tweak you can try - put a small piece of tape over the rear port (the round hole at the top rear). That will lower the bass level overall, which should give a more "dry/analytic" sound akin to planar magnetics (which generally have pretty lean - but tight - bass).

As far as the cable quality, we've had only a couple of issues out of lots and lots shipped, no more than I would expect with any cable. Don't judge a cable by it's thickness! We go with really thin because it tends to be tangle-free, light (comfortable!), and packs really small so there's never an issue where to put them.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #537 of 1,454
Just got back from a trip and was using the Periodic Audio Be directly from an AK320 and from the AK320 with a Chord Hugo 2. Very pleased with the sound both ways and. . .no surprise!!! . . it was better with the Hugo 2. Sound isolation using Spiral Dots was quite good on the plane.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #538 of 1,454
Another tweak you can try - put a small piece of tape over the rear port (the round hole at the top rear). That will lower the bass level overall, which should give a more "dry/analytic" sound akin to planar magnetics (which generally have pretty lean - but tight - bass).

As far as the cable quality, we've had only a couple of issues out of lots and lots shipped, no more than I would expect with any cable. Don't judge a cable by it's thickness! We go with really thin because it tends to be tangle-free, light (comfortable!), and packs really small so there's never an issue where to put them.

Hello Dan,

If cost is not an issue, what would be the ideal housing material for IEM drivers in terms of performance? Polymers, or metals, etc? Thank you!

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #539 of 1,454
Just got back from a trip and was using the Periodic Audio Be directly from an AK320 and from the AK320 with a Chord Hugo 2. Very pleased with the sound both ways and. . .no surprise!!! . . it was better with the Hugo 2. Sound isolation using Spiral Dots was quite good on the plane.

Hi,

I’ve found that the Spiral Dots give the best balance for me with the Be.. Thanks to the kind suggestions of members here.

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #540 of 1,454
So, I had the BEs for a few days now. It's still in the process of burn-in(i know Dan doesn't believe in it) but I still hear differences. out of the box, it sounds neutral in a natural. The right amount of bass, midrange warmth, and treble. After few days, the treble seems to reduce and midrange darkens a little. Bass is a bit too much for me in its current state. The detail in the midrange is phenomenal though. I had the Isine 10 and Shure se846 a few months ago and I can tell right away that the BE is way more detailed with much better layering. What really stood out for me is that vocals have amazing depth and separation. There are just layers of detail in the midrange area. There is no question that these are the best in its class. The real question is, just how many >$1000 earphone is this slaying. I can tell that the SE846 is out. SE846 doesn't have any big weakness except that it doesn't have the micro detailing of a 'high-end' product. It's an upper-midrange product to me.

As good as the midrange and treble is, the bass doesn't shout 'high end' to me. It's an upper mid-fi kind of bass. Fairly quick, detailed and excellent extension but it is not super fast. A headphone analogy would be the BEs are like Nighthawk's bass rather than hi-fi bass of Focal Elear. Design wise, earphones are very light but i wish the cable was just a little thicker. it's too thin for it to be durable. They do come with 5 year warranty so I'm not too worried about it. Those with small ear canals might want to try these first as well as they come with large bores. Lack of cable slider is the biggest issue for me. I had to DIY one myself.

Overall, this is a giant slayer product. It does have some quirks (no cable slider, thin cables) but the SQ is multiples classes above its price class. The relative slowness of the bass means that this is not the best for fast music like modern pop. They shine best with music with lots of vocals, deep soundstage, and has heaps of details.

This is coming from the direct output of the lightning adapter of iPhone. I'm currently waiting for Mytek Clef to be out so i'll update my impression with those as well.

Definitely, with better source Be will sound great. Better than iPhone for sure. I use mine with Opus#1, which is neutral and clean. Together they sound nicely balanced, bass is clean and punchy. Of course, Be doesn't go deep as UM Miracle which I had for a long time, and not uber detailed too. But the magic with single driver Be is that all frequencies sound equally proportioned. Another thing which I noticed is that tips have noticeable impact on sound. Foams have more bass than silicon tips. Try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back