Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Dec 9, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #466 of 1,454
Hey @DanWiggins, I have a little question about BE cable. Why are you using 4 wires but 1 wire is not used (green one from splitter to jack)?
It's just a little weird. You could use 4 wires for r,l,rgnd,lgnd (separate ground, I mean) but instead it's r,l,gnd and 4th is "blank".
tapatalk_1512870781281.jpeg

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #467 of 1,454
Mainly for reliability. We tested both, and found the wire down lasted longer. Is that always the case? Probably not. But for our cable... Fewer breaks at the splitter junction. We could make a bigger splitter, but that goes against our attempt to make the cable thin, light, and compact.

I figure if someone wants to hack away at the cable, why not do as much as possible, get as close to the IEM as possible with your own cable? for 99% of our consumers, the stock cable will be all they ever want or need (for example, we've had a grand total of 4 requests about how to change the cable to balanced - that's somewhere around 0.1%), so... Reliability dictated.

Dan

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #468 of 1,454
for example, we've had a grand total of 4 requests about how to change the cable to balanced - that's somewhere around 0.1%), so...

What about requests regarding a replaceable cable? Is the percentage the same? BE sound great, so many audiophiles consider replacing the cable and use a custom-made one and have already made a few attempts to replace it.
The default cable appears to be too thin, in my opinion, and tends to tangle a bit and stick to clothes due to rubber-ish coating, so I am one of those, who would appreciate adding such an option.

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #469 of 1,454
What about requests regarding a replaceable cable? Is the percentage the same? BE sound great, so many audiophiles consider replacing the cable and use a custom-made one and have already made a few attempts to replace it.
The default cable appears to be too thin, in my opinion, and tends to tangle a bit and stick to clothes due to rubber-ish coating, so I am one of those, who would appreciate adding such an option.
Somewhere in this thread Dan said they are looking into removeable cable options. They didn't like MMCX or the 2-pin options, so they didn't make their IEM's with things they didn't like.

Once they find the right solution, I can't wait to have a removeable cable. But for now, a nonremoveable cable plus their 5 year warranty will do.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #470 of 1,454
Somewhere in this thread Dan said they are looking into removeable cable options. They didn't like MMCX or the 2-pin options, so they didn't make their IEM's with things they didn't like.

Once they find the right solution, I can't wait to have a removeable cable. But for now, a nonremoveable cable plus their 5 year warranty will do.
This. And believe it or not, the number of requests for removable cables is also very small. I know it's quite popular here on HeadFi, but the actual headphone buying market is massive compared to HeadFi. It's easy to sometimes forget that we here at HeadFi are a "sick little community" afflicted with our addiction, and even for a tiny, relatively unknown brand like Periodic, HeadFi sales are a small percentage of what we do.

We do have plans for removable cables, but done the right way, and on our schedule.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #471 of 1,454
Man, I'm tempted to trade my Lyra IIs for a pair of BEs since my Lyras don't see that much use and are probably a bit too expensive for how often I use them for...

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #472 of 1,454
Man, I'm tempted to trade my Lyra IIs for a pair of BEs since my Lyras don't see that much use and are probably a bit too expensive for how often I use them for...

IDK if this helps, but I was looking at both models when I actually purchased my set of Be. I had just finished listening to the Lyra II at canjam and immediately walked over to periodic and had a listen to the Be. I preferred the sound signature and (especially) the fit. It seems like IEMs keep getting heavier and heavier... the weightless nature of the Be is like a breath of fresh air.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #473 of 1,454
@DanWiggins +1 for removable cables, only to get rid of this current cable. As much as I love my Be, the cable sticks to everything / can't easily exist in layered clothing. I would love some sort of sheathing that isn't as tacky so I can effectively wear the cable under my winter coat --> DAP in jacket pocket.

I know Periodic is out in sunny CA :wink: but for us New Yorkers, we have to deal with the cold for the next few months.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #474 of 1,454
IDK if this helps, but I was looking at both models when I actually purchased my set of Be. I had just finished listening to the Lyra II at canjam and immediately walked over to periodic and had a listen to the Be. I preferred the sound signature and (especially) the fit. It seems like IEMs keep getting heavier and heavier... the weightless nature of the Be is like a breath of fresh air.
I am still on the fence (especially because who would trade their BE for a Lyra II?) but that has certainly swayed my decision. :p

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #478 of 1,454
How is the difference between campfire stuff and this? Are the campfire stuff worth their higher price? Thanks.

I will say the Be compares very well to the Vega. The Vega is brighter overall with more midbass emphasis and the Be has more subbass emphasis. I feel like clarity is slightly better on the Be. For whatever reason, the Vegas sound better with foam tips (Comply T400) than the Be, but the Be sounds better with silcon tips (spiral dots) than the Vega. Vega gets the nod on Cable quality and microphonics reduction. I've had to send both my Be and Vega back once so far so I'm hesitant to say either wins out over the other on build quality.

I haven't heard other campfires to compare.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #479 of 1,454
I'd say Vega has more sub and midbass emphasis. Really nothing else in an IEM has come close to Vega bass. Just a unique powerful impact (that isn't for everyone) that I've not heard elsewhere. And which thankfully doesn't bleed into the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back