Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Jul 5, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #346 of 1,454
Hello,

New here to the forums...

First off.. Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm interested in the Be. Has anyone tried the AQ Dragonfly Red with the Be? Was it a good match with an iPhone as transport for the DF Red?

I've auditioned the single dynamic driver Sennheiser IE800 with the DF Red + an old iPhone 5s. And I must say it sounds great, it's the type of balance and tonality I'm after. The only problem is the price of the Senns is more than double the Be's..

For those who have compared, do you think the Be approaches 90% or the IE800's performance or even exceed it in some areas?

Oh, I mainly use the Onkyo HF Player app for uncompressed tracks, and some streaming..

Rick

PS - I've listened to a diy Adire sub in a 2 channel audio set up over 12 years ago. It is quite impressive.
Can't help you there as I haven't heard either of them. Be is very very easy to drive though (among the easiest I've ever owned) so there should be no problem with any half decent source.

They're very smooth listen, yet clear enough that it doesn't feel like you're missing anything. Very easy on the ears.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #349 of 1,454
Hello,

New here to the forums...

First off.. Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm interested in the Be. Has anyone tried the AQ Dragonfly Red with the Be? Was it a good match with an iPhone as transport for the DF Red?

I've auditioned the single dynamic driver Sennheiser IE800 with the DF Red + an old iPhone 5s. And I must say it sounds great, it's the type of balance and tonality I'm after. The only problem is the price of the Senns is more than double the Be's..

For those who have compared, do you think the Be approaches 90% or the IE800's performance or even exceed it in some areas?

Oh, I mainly use the Onkyo HF Player app for uncompressed tracks, and some streaming..

Rick

PS - I've listened to a diy Adire sub in a 2 channel audio set up over 12 years ago. It is quite impressive.

I love my Be's and have had a couple friends order them after listening to them. Smart phones drive them quite well and they respond well to amps too. The sound stage is cramped but you can hear the layers and textures of high quality recordings that will surprise you(with a good seal). THey punch WAY above their price point! They are so light that you will forget you are wearing them. Negatives, as previously mentioned, the cable. It is a lint magnet and is lacking in the aesthetics department. Enjoy, I'm sure you will love them!

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #350 of 1,454
I just want to spotlight the Mg's for a sec. Speaking of punching above their price, they are an amazing value at $99! You get the best treble detail across the lineup PLUS you have the weight of the low-end! I also own the venerable UE Triple.Fi 10 and I prefer the signature of the Mg's more!

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #351 of 1,454
Jul 27, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #352 of 1,454
Just got my BE's in. They sound pretty great, bordering on bass head territory, which is fine by me. They're smooth and non-fatiguing to listen to without giving up too much detail in the mids and treble. They're not going to isolate as much as my etymotics, but I'd have to say they're easier to listen and more natural sounding overall. I'm glad I have them both.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #353 of 1,454
Just got my BE's in. They sound pretty great, bordering on bass head territory, which is fine by me. They're smooth and non-fatiguing to listen to without giving up too much detail in the mids and treble. They're not going to isolate as much as my etymotics, but I'd have to say they're easier to listen and more natural sounding overall. I'm glad I have them both.
If you want to have some bass fun, try Paul Simon's "Gone At Last" off his "Stilly Crazy After All These Years" album. Probably one of the cleanest recordings of a walking bass line you will ever hear. I use it for all evaluations of audio - speakers and headphones. Every note is played at the same amplitude throughout the highly complex - AND QUICK! - plucking of Gordon Edwards. It covers nearly the entire range of the bass guitar, and is a wonderful example of bass linearity. It should be impulsive, percussive, and completely even in tone and intensity for every single note. You will quickly find if you have too much deep bass, a peaky midbass, etc.

Plus it's just a fun song...:)

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #354 of 1,454
If you want to have some bass fun, try Paul Simon's "Gone At Last" off his "Stilly Crazy After All These Years" album. Probably one of the cleanest recordings of a walking bass line you will ever hear. I use it for all evaluations of audio - speakers and headphones. Every note is played at the same amplitude throughout the highly complex - AND QUICK! - plucking of Gordon Edwards. It covers nearly the entire range of the bass guitar, and is a wonderful example of bass linearity. It should be impulsive, percussive, and completely even in tone and intensity for every single note. You will quickly find if you have too much deep bass, a peaky midbass, etc.

Thanks Dan, I will try that one out. I was listening to the Be on Nine Inch Nails' "Hesitation Marks" last night, really great sounding on that with thumping bass. Reminds me of when I had a sealed Shiva in my ex-girlfriends corolla about 15 years ago!

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #355 of 1,454

Just listened to "gone at last". As a bass player myself, albeit very casual and amateur, I can definitely appreciate this song on the Be. Solid, thick tone from the bass guitar coming through nice and clear. Sounds like a finger style p-bass, the Be makes me feel like I'm on the front row 20 feet from the amp churning out that groove. The vocals sounds really natural on the Be too. Happily, they have caused me to put some of my $1k full sized headphones back on the rack for a little while. Really enjoying them

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #356 of 1,454
I took the Be to my last holiday in Wine country in south France. They prove to provide everything I needed for the trip. It was the only one I used (even though I brought a couple of back-ups). I even had a couple people ask what I was using and in broken french I tried to explain. Managed to get the website out...

Were exemplary in their presentation. Light enough to carry around for in between tastings. Was a great pairing with the Cayin N3.
Kudos to you Dan for a great piece.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #357 of 1,454
I took the Be to my last holiday in Wine country in south France. They prove to provide everything I needed for the trip. It was the only one I used (even though I brought a couple of back-ups). I even had a couple people ask what I was using and in broken french I tried to explain. Managed to get the website out...

Were exemplary in their presentation. Light enough to carry around for in between tastings. Was a great pairing with the Cayin N3.
Kudos to you Dan for a great piece.
Thanks! That is exactly what we were going for: to be your "go-to" set of IEMs when you're out and about. The audiophile IEMs you use in your day-to-day life, to bring music to the hours in-between!

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #358 of 1,454
FWIW, I did an ABX test of myself with the Be IEM on a 5 ohm output impedance cellphone headphone jack and a pretty decent headphone amplifier with a 0.5 ohm Zo (LH Labs GO2Pro Infinity) and couldn't tell a difference. So these will sound perfectly good out of just about any headphone jack I'd say. For the test I level matched to ~75 mV +/- 5 mV on a 99 hz sine wave and had someone else use an A/B switcher while I looked away, played "It wouldn't have made a difference" by Alisson Krauss on repeat, only got the correct answer 2 out of 11 times, haha.

Oh, and I put a dab of whiteout on the base of my right side to make it easier to distinguish in low light. Works good and scrapes off easily if I ever wanted to remove it. I used them on a recent rip to Asia from the states and they did great.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #359 of 1,454
A ruler flat impedance will eliminate most of the output modulation from high output impedance amps. You lose some efficiency, and some damping factor - but at least the frequency response really isn't affected.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #360 of 1,454
I've been using these IEMs (Be) for about two weeks with Fiio x5III mostly, and I have to say, that they are simply wonderful and proved to be a great upgrade for my sennheiser ie8 (tried various middle-end iems before, including hybrids etc. but those did not come even close), having similar neutral-ish signature, but being more detailed and "juicy". Very tolerant to a source and music mastering quality. Sound becomes more open and natural with eartips, that have wider nozzle.
The only concern - I'd love to get some options for re-cabling in the future, such great IEMs deserve a chance to get a custom cable:wink:

Thank you for the great job, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back