Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,381 of 1,454
Hi all,

Well, this feels uncomfortably akin to stepping into the dragon's lair... :sweat_smile:
I've just posted reviews of the Periodic Audio Be and Carbon.
Be:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/periodic-audio-beryllium-be.22397/review/25024/

Carbon:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/periodic-audio-c-carbon.23787/review/25028/

The reviews are not exactly glowing, although I've sincerely tried to be as objective as possible, and freely admit in them that I struggled with ear tip selection and fit, which for sure can impact the perceived sound quality.
I know it's not a nice feeling when a product you may love gets a poor review from someone, and trust me, I do not enjoy posting anything negative.
Anyway, I hope I won't be flamed to death here, but it would be remiss of me to post the reviews and *not* share them on the appropriate thread!

However, I can only comment on what I subjectively heard and saw. I was provided the IEMs free in exchange for an honest review, and that's always what I shall give.
Of course it's only one person's view, and I've seen plenty of very positive reviews for both IEMs, so as always, what matters is what your own ears tell you :)

All the best to you all, and hope you've been having a nice break for the Christmas season, where appropriate :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,383 of 1,454
Hi all,

Well, this feels uncomfortably akin to stepping into the dragon's lair... :sweat_smile:
I've just posted reviews of the Periodic Audio Be and Carbon.
Be:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/periodic-audio-beryllium-be.22397/review/25024/

Carbon:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/periodic-audio-c-carbon.23787/review/25028/

The reviews are not exactly glowing, although I've sincerely tried to be as objective as possible, and freely admit in them that I struggled with ear tip selection and fit, which for sure can impact the perceived sound quality.
I know it's not a nice feeling when a product you may love gets a poor review from someone, and trust me, I do not enjoy posting anything negative.
Anyway, I hope I won't be flamed to death here, but it would be remiss of me to post the reviews and *not* share them on the appropriate thread!

However, I can only comment on what I subjectively heard and saw. I was provided the IEMs free in exchange for an honest review, and that's always what I shall give.
Of course it's only one person's view, and I've seen plenty of very positive reviews for both IEMs, so as always, what matters is what your own ears tell you :)

All the best to you all, and hope you've been having a nice break for the Christmas season, where appropriate :)

We all hear very differently, but you've been here long enough to know that so I wouldn't apologise. I struggled with the size of the Be too as I have smaller ear canals, but the foams changed them entirely. With Final tips they were far less meaty and took on a much different listen. I've had a lot of trouble with that shape and barrel size, but knew that going in. The tips that came with it, KZ Starlines and SpinFits I used made them sound average to bad. But like you did, if I physically held them in place inside my ears at the right point, I could hear them MUCH better. Funnily enough, one of the first cheap as chips earphones I had way back at the start of my audio adventure was the DZAT DF10 which I had identical problems with. Same with the VE Bie. Foams changed that.

I love them, very unique, very musical. I think they're very 'marmite' so not really that surprised they split the fence.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,384 of 1,454
We all hear very differently.........With Final tips they were far less meaty and took on a much different listen...........The tips that came with it, KZ Starlines and SpinFits I used made them sound average to bad........... if I physically held them in place inside my ears at the right point, I could hear them MUCH better.

Eartips fit, sealing and positioning --> get sweet spot, is the key to dig out the possibilities on sound of an IEM, that has potential. The BE has potential.
Tried several silicone eartips (not Symbios and other foams, I'm not "foam fan"), and maybe this is the first time I got synergy between an IEM and an eartip.
So, I recommend to try Acoustune AET08a tips on BE.
I was looking for smoother highs with tips, that is not foam. Sony hybrid, Spinfits, Jvc spiral dots, Sennheisers, Vsonic, Trinity, other Acoustunes and Periodic didn't treated it to me.
The 08a did, and give more over on smooth highs.
Got body, meat on mids, here is more lifelike, a little more emphasis on midbass (not on bad way).with more layers.
With this eartip I listen those records I avoided before, because they sounded thin, like Pet shop boys, Michael Jackson, Jan Michel Jarre. Actually on this set I can listen everything (I do all genres, except hardcore metal styles) without I miss something.
I use this combo over a year with QP1r dap and desktop rigs and I can't get bored with, and don't feel I need upgrade on IEM.
I'll do sure, because it's a hobby to me, but the BE keeper sure in my collection, because it's a piece of art on sound for the price imo.
The fix wiring is problem?
I don't think so. I have some with 2 pin and mmcx, but to me they are more headache, especially when the connection is not fit well, or not fully compatible with the replacement or simple just get damaged during change etc.
Can't give a shot on balanced out?
Well, imo that is the device weakness if that has single and balanced output, but can only give acceptable performance on its balanced out.
I have a CA too (I prefer the BE tonality) and some of my friends own Periodic earphones incl. MG, and all of us experience these IEMs sound finalising after about 300 hrs run.

Not an easy "job" to do reviews of audio gears. That's why I do not, and don't list my stuffs.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,385 of 1,454
So I settled on a slightly wider bore tip that really works well with my tiny ears lol. With these I get a really good fit and I'm 99% certain I'm hearing them as intended as the big lush loose bass is tighter but still got some oomph and detail is much clearer... far less meaty as with the foams. I've been comparing them with my Final e4000, not a million miles away from each other - both with same tips funnily enough. The Be tho is slightly better with detail in mids and a crisper treble.

Be Tip.jpg

EDIT : Please forgive the much in need of a clean tabletop.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,386 of 1,454
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,391 of 1,454
Small, straight ear canals here... the Spinfit CP-240 double flanged are ideal for the Periodic line. I use the blue ones... those might be the small size? I usually wear M for universals, so keep that in mind.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #1,393 of 1,454
Just got my Rh. Seems DOA. anyone else having issues?

- Blips and crackling in audio
- Volume boosts and dips occur at random (not as frequent)
- Not a black background, at least with my Be I'm testing with

occurring on my Macbook pro (usb C) and S21 Ultra.

I've reached out to Periodic, but sad morning :frowning2:

**Update**
Macbook seems to be A-OK with it now after a reboot. Still don't have a black background, which is something the $9 Apple adapter does just fine.

Doesn't seem compatible with my Samsung. IDK if the device is defective or if its just not compatible with the latest S21 series. Either way, looks like it'll be going back since I bought it for mobile use and the crackling and volume dips are just awful.

The first and only Periodic product to disappoint.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,394 of 1,454
aaaand Periodic got back to me with no added advise -- and seem to want me to pay for return shipping for this DOA product.

Take note of this unusual CS. @DanWiggins this is not the Periodic Team I've met and interacted with multiple times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back