Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Apr 11, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #76 of 1,454
I had been in communication with Dan by email since I saw the video review at Cam Jam NYC and he has answered all my questions and been very responsive. I just finished reading the thread and decided to get Beryllium .

I am big planar hedphone sound fan and just wonder what type of soundstage these will produce vs my HE400I or soon to be determined Mr Speakers AEON's ?

I know these will be easy to drive . 

Will put up a review when I get them and spend some time with them.

I think you will be pleased with the soundstage of the BE. I'm also a Planar fan. I listen to the LCD3 in the evening. The Periodic BE has become my go-to for listening at work and during lunch. I'm listening to the BE right out of the iPhone right now (Bon Iver's new album) and the sound stage is plenty wide and deep for me.

I'm very curious about your impressions once you get them!

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #80 of 1,454
What about the buttons (e.g. iPhone pause, & volume)? I really use those much more so than the mic. Thanks.

The buttons are just as problematic.  It's quite enlightening to measure the FR or THD on an AP connected via a mic/control enabled cable.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #81 of 1,454

sorry im not sure what that means? im guessing less pressure than other iems but not as good as open back?

Well, there is a vent (a calibrated hole, basically) in front of the transducer.  So when you press then IEM into your ear, the air pressure can "leak" out through the front volume and out the vent.  That reduces the "constant pressure" you can get with earplugs.  Yes, it does hamper the NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) of the IEM by about 1.5 dB, but we still score really high - and it makes a more comfortable application.  It also enhances the bass quite a bit and lowers THD...

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #82 of 1,454
  I suppose the vents are made mostly for the diaphragms itself not for ear canals, to relieve the excess of sound pressure from drivers, because they move air  a lot of unlike BA drivers. @DanWiggins  correct me if I am wrong. 

We use our vents to tune the performance of the bass and control THD (a vent doesn't just "add bass", it reduces transducer excursion over a bandwidth of an octave or two).  A side benefit is removing the pressure constraint when you insert an IEM into your ear canal.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #85 of 1,454
​The only way to tell L from R is that one of the filter screens that are inside the eartips is slightly darker than the other.

But the difference is so small that you have absolutely no way to tell which is which. 

I had to put a small piece of tape on one so I can tell.

This really is something that needs to be fixed.

You can get the eartips from Final Audio and they have a version which you can easily figure left and right.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #86 of 1,454
I just places a very thin red tape around the tip extrusion. Not only it is not visible but when visible looks pretty neat :wink:
I am so happy with my spiraldots that the first ting i did was putting them on my Be.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #87 of 1,454
Hey Dan. I put an order in on Monday. Charge is showing as pending and i havent received any confirmation email. Just curious if my order was received. Going to NJ.

Hi there, I believe it will go out today or tomorrow.  We're catching up from the CanJam; we took the opportunity on Monday to have a full-team summit.  We have members of our team located in the Boston area, Vancouver, BC, as well as SoCal - so a summit was called and held!  Product is shipping out today and tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back