Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
May 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #316 of 1,454
May 30, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #318 of 1,454
Listening to the Mg now. Right out of the box, this sounds really great when paired with my X5iii. I like the separation and stage. Comfortable enough to wear for hours.

Nicely done.

Update, even though I am really impressed, now that I have been listening to these for a couple days, got to wonder what the Be sounds like. Any one care to lend any advice? Is the Be that much better than the Mg? Just wondering if it would be worth the upgrade...

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #319 of 1,454
I am interested how the Be compare to the following:

Trinity PM4
Trinity Master
Trinity Master 6
Final Audio VI
Final Audio Heaven III
Ostry KC60
Hifiman RE-600s
Creative Auravana 3
Trinity Atlas
Havi B3 Pro I
Zero Audio Tenore
Westone W3
VSonic VSD3s
KZ ZS5

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #320 of 1,454
Compare to the trinity delta, be is a lot cleaner, has better resolution, and the bass is miles better, however deltas has better space, be is too close to the action. You'll hear every details but it's like you are sitting front of a movie theater rather than in the middle row. Too close to know where everything is. It's been a while I pick up the re600. But I know I like it a lot. If I can recall, be has a lot more weight to te sound. I also own ortofone eq5, it's similar to fi-bass, I like the be more, the treble rolls of a bit on eq5 but it still sounds very good especially vocals. I like the shape and fit of the re600 the best. They all have similar housing with the be being the largest.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #321 of 1,454
I was also curious about the Be. Since Be is a rare element and it's nothing new since the 70's being used in audio, how pure is the Be being used? Is it pure 100% or Beryllium alloy which is mixes or Copper or Titanium (Bogusium) which has been done in the past by other manufacturers which claimed it was Beryllium leading people to believe it was pure but it was really a mixed alloy.

Thank you.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #322 of 1,454
The website refers to 100% Be used:
The Be IEM has a 100% pure beryllium foil diaphragm with a bonded PEEK surround. All components inside our IEMs was 100% designed and tooled in-house, resulting a totally unique product.

Maybe Dan can verify. They have been at the LA Audio Show this past weekend so I imagine they're pretty busy from that...

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #323 of 1,454
I was also curious about the Be. Since Be is a rare element and it's nothing new since the 70's being used in audio, how pure is the Be being used? Is it pure 100% or Beryllium alloy which is mixes or Copper or Titanium (Bogusium) which has been done in the past by other manufacturers which claimed it was Beryllium leading people to believe it was pure but it was really a mixed alloy.

Thank you.
It is 98.5% pure, with the balance trace elements being primarily O, Fe, Cr, and Si (Oxygen, Iron, Chromium, and Silicon).

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #324 of 1,454
The website refers to 100% Be used:
The Be IEM has a 100% pure beryllium foil diaphragm with a bonded PEEK surround. All components inside our IEMs was 100% designed and tooled in-house, resulting a totally unique product.

Maybe Dan can verify. They have been at the LA Audio Show this past weekend so I imagine they're pretty busy from that...
It's about as pure of a Be foil as you can get; I don't know of any source of >99% pure Be. Most metals contain impurities, and are considered "pure" if they are >98% one element. In fact, I would argue that - due to oxidation and reactants - NO physical product could ever be 100% pure with zero oxides or other contaminants. It's as pure as one can get, though, and from a functional standpoint of properties it is pure (meaning the few contaminants present do not change the material properties from what one would expect for pure beryllium).

By the way, we did win a best-of-show award for our Be IEM...:) Not bad for a $299 IEM!

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #326 of 1,454
Thank you for the honest reply. +90% was what I was thinking due to different factors. 98% is extremely high and extremely desirable.

Thank you.
You're welcome!

For others, in general, if you have trace elements but have not purposefully blended other materials, it's considered a "pure" element, not an alloy. When you purposefully blend in other elements (like our Mg-Al alloy where we use the Al to stabilize the H2 outgassing from the Mg) then it becomes an alloy. This results in some situations where the "alloy" contains more of the base element than the "pure" form because of incomplete refinement!

It can be confusing, but it is consistent...

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #327 of 1,454
Congratulations on the award- well deserved.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #328 of 1,454
I just purchased the Be. Very curious to hear how this works out. Super excited to get this. Will post some impressions between the Be and Mg once I get the chance to evaluate the sound.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #329 of 1,454
I just purchased the Be. Very curious to hear how this works out. Super excited to get this. Will post some impressions between the Be and Mg once I get the chance to evaluate the sound.

Curious how you think it compares to:

Meze 99 Classics Walnut-Gold
Cypher Labs C6IEM
Campfire Audio Lyra
Campfire Audio Jupiter
IBasso IT03
Noble Massdrop X IEM
Periodic Audio Mg IEM

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #330 of 1,454
I don't have it yet, just ordered it, so will be a couple days and then have to listen to it. I will try to give a comprehensive comparison to some of the other pieces I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back