Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Oct 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #121 of 1,683

Quote:
Aside from the coolness factor, would the bridge be a compelling upgrade for me if I do most of my listening at my 'puter using optical out to the PWD?  In other words, would the bridge be a significant step up in SQ in such a scenario?

So from what I understand, the bridge, when setup properly and working, is on par with I2S via the PWT.

The setup however gets to be a bit more costly than just the cost of the bridge $600-800, you still need the NAS, wireless adapter for pwd (?), and possibly an ipod touch or ipad to interface with.  When you add it all up the value proposition tends to get lost.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #122 of 1,683
Good points about the extras, but I've got them already, so no problem there.  Still, hidden costs to be considered.

As for the adaptive vs. asynch question, I "know" the PWD is adaptive, I just can't find where it is stated explicitly by PSA.  This thread makes it clear, though: http://www.psaudio.com/ps/forum/archive/index.php/t-3423.html/viewthread/504/#3822

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #123 of 1,683
While I truly appreciate that PSA has a forum on their site, it's a nice gesture, I find it comical when Paul McGowan mentions "when the PWD shipped" it had state of the art 24/96 usb as if it it were something unheard of before 2009
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #124 of 1,683
I wish that I could comment on the PWT but I haven't played with one so I can't. What I can say is that the Network Bridge is pretty much indistinguishable from my Exemplar Music Server (Dedicated PC Server configured for optimal Digital out using an M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound-card with SPDIF RCA Output) playing the same WAV files (44.1/16). Since the Exemplar Server previously bested many high end transports that I tried I am forced to assume that the Network Bridge is also in that league.

PS Audio claims the Network Bridge gives identical performance to the PWT. What the Bridge does is that it ultimately feeds the DAC an I-2S signal, whether it's as good as the PWT, once again I don't know. I don't see a PWT in my future. I have my Exemplar Modded Oppo BDP-83SE that I use for SACD (Fed Directly into my Parasound JC-2 Preamp) and DVD-Audio (Sometimes feeding 192/24 via SPDIF to the PWD, and sometimes analog directly to my JC-2) and DVD and Blu-Ray discs for Video.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #125 of 1,683
Quote:
You mean as far as Asynch making products inherently superior to non-Asynch devices?

Or my opinion that Asynch is nothing more than marketing hype because it has not proven itself as such?

Well, asynchronous can refer to two things: asynch USB or the use of an ASRC (Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter) chip. The PWD seems to fall to the latter category based on the specifications you have posted but even then, their use of the term is a bit ambiguous. I actually have more issues with your extrapolation that the PWD is equal to audio-gd NFB-2/3 having not heard both. 

Anyway back to topic, my local distributor is going to have a demo unit in the next week so me and a couple of friends are going to drop by and take a listen. Hoping for a good time! 

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #126 of 1,683

While I truly appreciate that PSA has a forum on their site, it's a nice gesture, I find it comical when Paul McGowan mentions "when the PWD shipped" it had state of the art 24/96 usb as if it it were something unheard of before 2009
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh. I was thinking the same thing. In fact, he seems to admit that he didn't know as much as he thought he did about USB in one of the 2009 newsletters. Basically, it was sota to them because they were unfamiliar with sota USB. Pretty lame, I agree. But also kind of funny.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #128 of 1,683

Quote:
Well, asynchronous can refer to two things: asynch USB or the use of an ASRC (Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter) chip. The PWD seems to fall to the latter category based on the specifications you have posted but even then, their use of the term is a bit ambiguous. I actually have more issues with your extrapolation that the PWD is equal to audio-gd NFB-2/3 having not heard both. 

Anyway back to topic, my local distributor is going to have a demo unit in the next week so me and a couple of friends are going to drop by and take a listen. Hoping for a good time! 

Absolutely have a great time, I really miss having a good audio shop around.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #130 of 1,683
It seems to me that the PWD + Bridge playing music off my new LaCie NAS (or off TwonkyServer running on my Mac > Bridge) sounds more transparent than using my Macbook Optical or USB into the PWD with music from iTunes.  

This was part of my reason for ordering Amarra MINI this weekend for my Macbook, to bypass CoreAudio on the Mac and have better performance as a transport when I can't use my nicer sounding Bridge.  In a week or two I should be able to compare Amarra to the Bridge as transport into the PWD, but I suspect they will be closer in performance than vs iTunes with CoreAudio.  

I plan to use the Macbook > Amarra MINI > DAC in my bedroom rig or when I take my rig to meets, and otherwise I'll be using the NAS/Twonky > Bridge most often in my main rig.  Before the Bridge, in my main rig I was using a DVD or CD player > Coax PWD, and Macbook or Airport Express > optical PWD.  I felt that the CD > coax sounded a little better with 16/44 files.  Now the Bridge with 24/96 music tops that.  The differences are subtle but clear.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #131 of 1,683
I've been using the PWD Bridge for some time now, and sonically I have no qualms about recommending this setup. its flaws are ergonomic in nature and PS Audio is working to resolve them. The biggest issue is the lack of Gapless playback, not a huge issue for me, but I can certainly see how it could annoy some users. To me the bigger issue is that there is no Repeat functionality, neither track, program/playlist or disc repeat is an option. I use repeat often for break-in and occasionally for background listening. I also have an issue with getting the correct artwork to display, but I blame my inconsistent ripping proceedures for this issue. Twonky is working ok, although I am hopeful for an eventual all PS Audio playback chain. We shall see, but even as it stands the PWD to these ears clearly outperforms several DAC's that have reputations of being "Giant Killers". the PWD with and without the Bridge is a Sonic and Tecnical tore de force. Highly Recommended!

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #132 of 1,683

Quote:
I've been using the PWD Bridge for some time now, and sonically I have no qualms about recommending this setup. its flaws are ergonomic in nature and PS Audio is working to resolve them. The biggest issue is the lack of Gapless playback, not a huge issue for me, but I can certainly see how it could annoy some users. To me the bigger issue is that there is no Repeat functionality, neither track, program/playlist or disc repeat is an option. I use repeat often for break-in and occasionally for background listening. I also have an issue with getting the correct artwork to display, but I blame my inconsistent ripping proceedures for this issue. Twonky is working ok, although I am hopeful for an eventual all PS Audio playback chain. We shall see, but even as it stands the PWD to these ears clearly outperforms several DAC's that have reputations of being "Giant Killers". the PWD with and without the Bridge is a Sonic and Tecnical tore de force. Highly Recommended!

One of the artwork issue is that the Bridge uses PS Audio servers for the artwork, and not the imbedded artwork in your files - I'm not sure how much of the problem is with your DLNA or uPnP server.  PS Audio says they will get this fixed in the future.

A few of us have posted at PS Audio forums that we'd like to see the repeat functionality added, and they seemed receptive to that.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #133 of 1,683

Quote:
Quote:

A few of us have posted at PS Audio forums that we'd like to see the repeat functionality added, and they seemed receptive to that.

Paul is a nice guy, but when I posted in the Beta Testers forum my desire for Repeat Play functionality he sarcastically replied something like - Why would someone want that? He  pretty much ignored my mention that almost every CD player comes with this ability.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #134 of 1,683
Dear Larry headphone addict,
    I am now trying to use the J River media to playback music from my collection via PC.
    Could you elaborate more in steps, using the bridge to help the digital out for the PC
coreaudio.
     What kind of extra gadgets to use? I like those with the better or best quality
I still don't own the PWD and have been following this blog for some time.  If the bridge
turns out to be a good one I will purchase one.
     I also have a collection of music : half of them in PC itunes, and in Mac itunes, how
can I do with that?
     Will the Perfect Wave DAC has 3 pin XLR out, What is the power because I am
considering to get the Beta 22 to use with those difficult can e.g. HE6
      Do we need the ipad or  minimac to do this or just use my PC which is very close
about 2-3 m from the main rigs

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #135 of 1,683
You need a Twonky or similar media server, a simple DLNA NAS will do to.  I don't have any iTunes specific media, so I'm not sure it will work or not.  PWD have both RCA and XLR out and I believe the output voltage is 2V.  An iPad/iTouc/iPhone will enable you to control it remotely but is not needed.

The Bridge is as good as the PWT , it is better than my S7700 when I feed FLAC to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back