Perfect Sound Dido D901 Mini-Tour | reviews, discussion, impressions, musings, etc.
Jan 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 244

gelocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello.

It has come to my attention that this "basshead" headphone does not seem to be getting much love in the community so decided to take a chance and organize a U.S. tour for them. I figured the lack of impressions might be due to: looks/style, skepticism regarding sound, build, availability in the United States (and/or everywhere) or most importantly, Price. So if you are willing to participate don't be afraid to post in this here thread. Be aware though that there are some requirements that must be met such as:

1. Good/Positive trader/buyer/seller feedback here (eBay might be acceptable if you have seller feedback) or evidence/Impressions from a previous tour you have participated in.
  2. Live in the U.S. (Canada will be acceptable as well) No mail-forwarding addresses.
  3. Will ship via USPS Flat-rate boxes.
  4. MUST post listening impressions (or a review) of the headphones and comparison to other basshead (or not) headphones currently in your possession (this is what the tour is really for!)

The plan is to have each participant use the headphone for 1 week for a proper auditioning period then ship to the next participant.
As of now, I have on the list (started it via PM):

• Mshenay
  • Oregonian
  • sloomingbla
  • Mad Lust Envy
  • ourfpshero
  • DigitalFreak
  • Ishcabible
  • manbear
  • MuppetFace
  • PXSS
  • Triggerfish
  • anetode
  • **wolfetan**
  • **HideousPride**

This is NOT the order that the item will be shipped. It will be done by region so for example we could start with members of Canada first, then ship starting from East Coast to West, etc. depends on participant addresses/location.

Looking for at least 10 to 12 participants to start tour. More could be added as time passes so don't be shy. :wink:

Reviews/impressions at the moment:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/perfect-sound-d901b/reviews
http://www.audio360.org/headphones_a0010_review_Perfect_Sound_d901_dido.php
http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/perfect-sound-dido.392272/
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2013-perfect-sound

Any questions, comments or even suggestions, don't hesitate to post or PM me!

Thanks all and Happy New Year! :wink:

P.S. A Europe tour might be entertained if enough people (7-12) sign up.

MOD EDIT:  Removed unallowed link.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 244
Impressions/reviews:

DigitalFreak: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/90#post_10232743

MuppetFace: Coming Soon.

Oregonian: Initial Impressions at --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/105#post_10287951

ourfpshero: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/120#post_10318847

Comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/120#post_10321956

sloomingbla:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/135#post_10340770

Vs Ultrasone Sig DJs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/135#post_10346028

Ishcabible:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/210#post_10617798

manbear:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697985/perfect-sound-dido-d901-mini-tour-reviews-discussion-impressions-musings-etc/225#post_10716971

Other impressions from tour participants are across the thread (search thread via member, list on first post)

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 244
Add +1 for europe interest (me). :p Cmon, fellow european basshead enthusiasts, time to get your voice heard! xD But even this US tour will be of quite some help. Availability & price are the main factors why I haven't tried out one for myself, I just don't like buying blindy such an expensive headphone without having tried it first to see if it's for me or not as selling it onwards from my location usually means some quite significant loss, and the bigger loss the expensier headphones (especially headphones like Dido which are both expensive and not known). I'd be estimating aprox ~$150 loss for 1 - 2 month of trying to get it sold, so therefore I'm not too keen to just pick one up myself and hoping for the best.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 244
I would like to participate! I meet the requirements about good feedback, living in the US (Pennsylvania), and I freaking love flat rate boxes. I can compare it to the HE-400 using the system in my sig. One caveat is that I am using a speaker amp with resistors, hence a high output impedance, which will mess up the damping factor on dynamic headphones. Though to be honest, this hasn't affected SQ that much on the dynamic cans I've tried so far, the Q701 and my Nuforce IEMS. I can remove the resistors, but this might cause too much noise on the Dido. I can also compare using just my laptop's headphone jack -- it's adequate for the HE-400 and I'm thinking it will have enough power for the Dido as well. 

Oh, and I like bass 
basshead.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 244
  I would like to participate! I meet the requirements about good feedback, living in the US (Pennsylvania), and I freaking love flat rate boxes. I can compare it to the HE-400 using the system in my sig. One caveat is that I am using a speaker amp with resistors, hence a high output impedance, which will mess up the damping factor on dynamic headphones. Though to be honest, this hasn't affected SQ that much on the dynamic cans I've tried so far, the Q701 and my Nuforce IEMS. I can remove the resistors, but this might cause too much noise on the Dido. I can also compare using just my laptop's headphone jack -- it's adequate for the HE-400 and I'm thinking it will have enough power for the Dido as well. 

Oh, and I like bass 
basshead.gif

Not so sure that amp is great idea for the Didos, I'd be worried you'd blow those drivers in an instant. Honestly it's just 16 ohms and sensitive as **** according to some reviewers around here. Think what it would be like pluggin a typical slightly higher quality IEM into that amp. ^^

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 244
Not so sure that amp is great idea for the Didos, I'd be worried you'd blow those drivers in an instant. Honestly it's just 16 ohms and sensitive as **** according to some reviewers around here.

Nope, it will definitely not blow the drivers. I've used NuForce NE-600X IEMs on my amp with and without resistors, and they are perfectly fine. With the 250 ohm resistors, the maximum output of the amp into a 16 ohm load is ((20*16)/(250+16))^2/16 = 90 mw. I also have 300 ohm resistors that will put ((20*16)/(300+16))^2/16 = 64 mw max into the Didos. I could even connect the resistors in series for a maximum power of ((20*16)/(550+16))^2/16 = 19 mw, which is miniscule. All three of those numbers are less power, and less likely to blow the drivers, than most headphone amps. Compare to max 1,200 mw on a Magni for example. 

No resistors is where the power gets potentially dangerous if you turn up the volume knob too much, but I'm guessing there would be too much noise there for it to be even worth trying. However, if the owner of the headphones is not comfortable with me using the speaker amp with resistors, I will respect that and will limit myself to my laptop's headphone jack. I am a careful person. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 244
  Add +1 for europe interest (me). :p Cmon, fellow european basshead enthusiasts, time to get your voice heard! xD But even this US tour will be of quite some help. Availability & price are the main factors why I haven't tried out one for myself, I just don't like buying blindy such an expensive headphone without having tried it first to see if it's for me or not as selling it onwards from my location usually means some quite significant loss, and the bigger loss the expensier headphones (especially headphones like Dido which are both expensive and not known). I'd be estimating aprox ~$150 loss for 1 - 2 month of trying to get it sold, so therefore I'm not too keen to just pick one up myself and hoping for the best.

Oh I definitely know how you feel. I on the other hand have made some blind purchases and at least I have been able to get rid of them even with a hit but lucky me, most I have actually liked :wink: (the Dido's are an example!)

Oh, and I like bass 
basshead.gif

Not so sure that amp is great idea for the Didos, I'd be worried you'd blow those drivers in an instant. Honestly it's just 16 ohms and sensitive as **** according to some reviewers around here. Think what it would be like pluggin a typical slightly higher quality IEM into that amp. ^^

manbear, just like RPGWiZaRD mentioned, the Didos are EXTREMELY sensitive. Heck, I can't even use my Schiit Magni amp properly with it at low volumes! LOL So, be aware of that fact. I'd test with the notebook/laptop out or a less powerful amp just in case!  And if you like bass, you'll most likely enjoy the Didos.

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 244

Nope, it will definitely not blow the drivers. I've used NuForce NE-600X IEMs on my amp with and without resistors, and they are perfectly fine. With the 250 ohm resistors, the maximum output of the amp into a 16 ohm load is ((20*16)/(250+16))^2/16 = 90 mw. I also have 300 ohm resistors that will put ((20*16)/(300+16))^2/16 = 64 mw max into the Didos. That's less power, and less likely to blow the drivers, than most headphone amps. Compare to max 1,200 mw on a Magni for example. 

No resistors is where the power gets potentially dangerous if you turn up the volume knob too much, but I'm guessing there would be too much noise there for it to be even worth trying. However, if the owner of the headphones is not comfortable with me using the speaker amp with resistors, I will respect that and will limit myself to my laptop's headphone jack. I am a careful person. 

Got it.
As long as you are aware that indeed you are have the resistors on the amp (lol), it should be A-Ok.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 244

Got it.
As long as you are aware that indeed you are have the resistors on the amp (lol), it should be A-Ok.

Awesome! I will restrict myself to resistors only. The resistors are pretty hard to miss -- see the pic below. I always leave them in anyway. But I'm guessing that the laptop headphone jack will be the fairer comparison, due to damping factor. And the fact that the Didos are built for portable devices. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 244
Excited to try these, thanks! I'll compare these to my Beats Pro 
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 244
As we have discussed, count me in. 

And thanks, my friend, for doing this for the Head Fi community.  Awesome of you.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 244
Thanks for adding me gelocks! This is really awesome of you! Cant wait to hear em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back