PERCEIVED Flat Headphones?
May 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

soundslikebliss

Head-Fier
Hey all!

Still pretty new here... I have a question regarding an issue that I'm surprised no one has discussed (or at least that my 'advanced search' skills were unable to find).

The issue I'm talking about is the perceived curve vs the actual curve of headphones in comparison to full size studio reference monitors.

When looking for the perfect studio reference monitors, I found that it is agreed upon that good monitors(say, a pair of focal twins) are a pair that gives a close-to-flat frequency response.   This is also agreed upon that is what one should look for in a studio headphone.  I have to refute this because of the way we perceive bass through headphones vs speakers.  Through headphones, you can hear bass.  Through speakers, however, you can hear bass and FEEL it throughout your body.  So, I think a "basshead" headphone may be more of an accurate representation of monitors because you can feel them rattling on your head a bit.  

So a flat frequency response for monitors, and a downward-slant frequency response for headphones to get the same perceived sound/feeling. 

I'm not claiming this as truth, but it makes sense to me.  Any ideas on this?  

Anyway, after putting this together in my head lol, I need new recommendations woohoo!

My sig should have my gear, but my most recent purchase is Beyer's T5P.  They sound amazing, but they lack bass to me and can sound a little harsh at times. 

Preferences:
- I listen to mostly EDM, trap, and pop, so bass is definitely a requirement.  The bass should be strong, controlled, and able to feel it, but not overpowering.  Those kicks and sub-basses are very important to me. (40-100Hz)
- Minimal leakage, as I work near others often.
- Looking for a portable headphone that can be easily driven by my rMBP or iphone5.  Don't really want to invest in amps (unless my duet 2 can drive them? never tried anything more than 32 ohms)
- Comfort is pretty important, as I've been spoiled by beyerdynamic, though I'm willing to sacrifice that easily for the sound I'm looking for. 
- Budget is.. let's say $1400, though I don't think I'm an audiophile enough to fully enjoy what my t5p's or another high-end headphone can offer.  I almost enjoy my DT990's as much as my T5P's.  So if I can save a buck, that's cool too.

Interested in:
DT770 32 ohm - Sometimes I read that this phone has lots of bass, but sometimes I read it's lacking/very flat.  Can anyone confirm this?  Do the 32/80 ohm versions really differ much?  If the 80 is more suited to me sound-wise, will my iPhone drive it?
V-Moda M-100 - Don't know much about this phone, but I heard someone say it's a good basshead closed can, and that it can be easily driven.
Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 - I read these have very present and controlled bass(true or false?).  But I've also heard they leak sound alot.  I couldn't find any solid measurement or observation of leakage.  Would be nice if someone could post a video 
rolleyes.gif
.  Anyway, if these don't leak that much, which would be the best option for me?  And do they drive easily from a retina Macbook Pro? 

Awe **** I forgot what else I was interested in lol.  Anyway, any more suggestions would be appreciated, too!

Also,

Does anyone know a good place in/near LA to audition a variety of headphones? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
-bliss

May 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 2
Honestly, based on your preferences (especially regarding the T5p, which I have as well and love), I'd say there is one specific can that leaps out as a potentially perfect recommendation for you: the Ultrasone Signature DJ. There's a pretty good thread going about these now if you want to take a look. 

In comparison to the T5p, I would say the SigDJ: 
  1. Clamps and isolates better
  2. Has exponentially more bass
  3. Is much more smooth-sounding (which I did not care for, but addresses your harshness issue)
  4. Is much more usable on the go
  5. Looks absolutely hideous-- a completely ungainly atrocity of a headphone aesthetically 
  6. Is arguably more comfortable because it moves around a bit less
  7. Comes with a case that is almost as unusable on the go
  8. Looks bizarre while on the head (the T5p follows the curve of the head, while the SigDJ juts up in a somehow Frankensteinian manner)
  9. Feels more solidly built
  10. Gives up a bit in terms out outright resolution
  11. Has noticeably smoother highs in particular
  12. Is more immediately impressive on a quick listen
  13. Is considerably better suited for bass-heavy music

Please note these are my impressions only, and that I understand others may (and often do) have very different opinions. I would imagine most people would probably prefer the sound of the SigDJ over the T5p, but I did not. As for my thoughts considering the unspeakably garish looks, many people actually find them to be quite attractive. Ultimately, if I had liked the sound better than the T5p, I would have kept them, even with my strong dislike for the white color, mirrored sides, and sixth-grader DJ logo. I did not because I felt the overly-smooth sound (particularly in transients) was a rose-tinted spectacle I didn't like, and because while the additional bass was great when on the go, it was quite a distraction while listening in quiet environments. 

I had the SigDJ for about a week and sold them when I couldn't enjoy the sound compared to the T5p. As you can see, I think they have a lot to offer (and I still want to hear the SigPros), but I think they're a bit of a mixed bag. Auditioning them, if possible, would be a wise move IMO. And I wish I could point you in the right direction regarding a place to audition them, but I'm on the other side of the continent, so I won't be much help. I can tell you this, though: the Ultrasone website lists precisely one distributor (although they have more, not sure why more aren't listed), and it happens to be in California: 

ULTRASONE Inc.
40960 California Oaks Road
Murrieta, CA 92562

Tel: +1 (951) 6774600
Fax: +1 (951) 6778662

E-Mail: infoteam@ultrasone.com
Web: www.ultrasone.com

No idea if that's close to you or if it's someplace you travel, but if so, I'd swing by!!

Hope this helps!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back