People not happy with HD650: with what did you change them that makes you happy now?
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

delayfi

New Head-Fier
I am interested about the opinion of the ones that got hd650 and didn't like them much.
With what did you replace them?

My problem is that I feel like the sound is "too far", for me.
They are good, but I can't well hear the subtle details.

P.S. I have an amp capable of drive them well.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 16
I can only explain this from my perspective, as I know it's different than other folks. They were the first set I bought that were considered real hifi. And I liked them at first. I thought getting something closed back would be a good idea, for those times when you need them. Bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 and it changed my whole opinion on the 650. Long story short, I've come to the conclusion that I find the 650 boring when compared to the type of sound that I prefer from headphones. I like slightly elevated bass, or highs depending on the music. And I don't like using EQ that much. It seems I'm not very good at it, because I can not get some of my cans adjusted using it to suit what I want.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 16
I am interested about the opinion of the ones that got hd650 and didn't like them much.
With what did you replace them?

My problem is that I feel like the sound is "too far", for me.
They are good, but I can't well hear the subtle details.

P.S. I have an amp capable of drive them well.

Thanks!
And is this compared to which can? 650 is often said to have a bit of veil to it's sound sig, but also regarded as warm, non-fatiguing for long listen sessions. The area where the details gets put upfront is cut a bit compared to some other headphones. This provides a signature toward darker in tonality, but also may jive well for some people and also with certain genre of music over others. If you have a musical taste for fast and energetic treble, may not be for you.

I've had them for awhile, but initially I thought they sounded a bit veiled as well comparing them with K701 and DT880(600 ohm), but in the end I decided on them after my ears adjusted over a period of time, I started to hear more details, and sound righter comparatively at the time. I personally enjoyed them for a long time during my early ventures, was the one I first considered as audiophile set of cans. I generally have positive experience with it. I maybe a bit more senstive on the 6-9k region of the spectrum, and this headphone was one didn't sound emphasized there. This treble region and generally the lower treble region is what you are probably associating in terms of hearing subtle details. Perhaps not upfront as you like.

I did preferred HD650 over the HD600, due to HD600 was a bit further past than I prefer in terms of treble energy.

Although, it wasn't the case for me with the HD650, the early pre-fazor LCD2(.1?) was one comparatively sounded dipped in the upper mids that sounded distanced(particularly female vocals). Interestingly, not sounding as sparkly as more brighter headphone I was hearing HD650 at the time, the HD650 didn't sound distanced like the LCD2 at the time.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 16
Sold mine. Solved that problem. The HD650 is one of the most inoffensive headphones I've ever heard. That's not a compliment. They were bland and soporific. No thump in the bass, no bite in the treble when needed.

Much prefer my X2 and TH-X00.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 16
I can only explain this from my perspective, as I know it's different than other folks. They were the first set I bought that were considered real hifi. And I liked them at first. I thought getting something closed back would be a good idea, for those times when you need them. Bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 and it changed my whole opinion on the 650. Long story short, I've come to the conclusion that I find the 650 boring when compared to the type of sound that I prefer from headphones. I like slightly elevated bass, or highs depending on the music. And I don't like using EQ that much. It seems I'm not very good at it, because I can not get some of my cans adjusted using it to suit what I want.
Very interesting as this matches my story except I went with Beyerdynamic DT990 premium. I had been happy with the 650s for a couple years and don't remember why I went looking. But I saw a used pair of DT990s at a give away price and thought, "why not." My initial impression was they offered a little too much, but thought I'd give them a week or so. Well after a week I put the 650s back on and felt like the music kind of died.
Unfortunately, this experience sent me on a quest for better sound. I tried quite a few other "better" headphones, but always came back to the DT990s. Like you, I also own a pair of the DT770 premiums which have a very close sound to the 990s. I bought them to use when I needed a closed back design. They've probably only seen 20 hours of use as I rarely listen with others in the room.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 16
I liked the 600/650 but moved on to the ZMF Atticus/Eikon and the Sony Z1R. I find all of these almost always as non-fatiguing as the Senns. I would only replace the Senns with other dynamics, since planars have a different, less direct sound signature too my ears, but can still be great in their own way.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 16
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home is what made me happy, somewhat similar tonality but has proper dynamics when called for, also has proper sub-bass for an open-back and far better imaging and soundstaging and speed. Also more detailed and less fatiguing to my ears despite being more lively and energetic, simply sounds more right, more musical, better extended in both treble and bass, and less colored. It actually sounds good with all types of music unlike the HD 650. The HD 650 struggled with more energetic tracks.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 16
I sold mine, since for me, there was too much midbass emphasis, and little treble detail. Funnily enough, the HD600 satisfies me plenty, because its more balanced across the frequencies.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 16
I had the HD650 a few years back. I think they're great headphones. I really do, but the HD600 did something the 650 did not. Both are full bodied, but the 600 just had a bit more clarity and felt reasonably uncolored. That said, I had the 650 with the original Schiit Asgard so I never got to try them on the Valhalla 2. I recently purchased the Eikon, but the HD600 is a classic and will always be one of my favorite pairs.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 16
Sold my Val2 that I was pairing them with and bought a Jot. A lot more punch and slam. But I miss the stage depth from Val2.

HD650 plays well with different types of music and it is a easier listen than the HD800. With the Jot, HD650 was more fun to listen to than Val2. It does not sound boring anymore.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Similar to above, paired them with a JOT, which helps wake them up. If underpowered, I hear a general "muffle" or a slightly "buffered" sound which I take to be the "veil" others describe.

They are still a somewhat relaxed headphone compared to something like the HE-500, which has a little more energy and speed, but they're really solid and can groove when it's required.

The HD600 don't need the same power IMO to sound really good and suffer less for the muffle. Both the HD600 and HD6XX are great headphones. I own both currently.

I think preference to which one you like more has to do a lot with your overall setup. Since the 650 is a little darker, if your setup leans bright you might prefer it.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 16
Sold mine. Solved that problem. The HD650 is one of the most inoffensive headphones I've ever heard. That's not a compliment. They were bland and soporific. No thump in the bass, no bite in the treble when needed.

Much prefer my X2 and TH-X00.

I understand this and felt the same exact way as you when I had my original pair.

When you hook them up to the right amp (as many people say it's true) they get some of that treble bite and bass punch you are talking about that they lack. There are more V shaped headphones out there though that are better if you really like your treble crunch and bass slam.

They sound great through a Jotunheim... But yeah, if you don't want to buy an expensive amp and prefer running straight into your devices, those more efficient cans are the way to go as they don't have the same power requirements. Personally, I think my Pro 900 sounds best straight into portable devices like my laptop, I actually don't like them though the Jotunheim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back