People from UK: What's competitively priced versus the US?
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ThSGM

New Head-Fier
I recently moved over from the US to the UK, and am balking at some of the prices for headphones. I'd like to pick up a pair of headphones that are about $100 (or £65), but I find that almost everything that is overpriced compared to the US. For example, I've heard good things about Grado SR60s which you can pick up on amazon.com for $80. Here in the UK, it's £80 = $126!

I realize that electronics are always more expensive in the UK, but do any of you have any recommendations for good headphones around that range that are still somewhat competitively priced? I'm sorry I can't be specific about what kind of headphones I'd like. I'm most interested in a quality pair, and will be using it to listen to music (R&B and a little electronic).

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 11
I know how you feel mate. We get horrendously ripped off here in the UK for all electronics. Browsing the deals thread here on the forums brings me out in a cold sweat of rage when I compare prices to what we have to pay here.

Welcome to rip-off Britain.

Back on topic what sort of headphones are you looking for?

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I know how you feel mate. We get horrendously ripped off here in the UK for all electronics. Browsing the deals thread here on the forums brings me out in a cold sweat of rage when I compare prices to what we have to pay here.

Welcome to rip-off Britain.

Back on topic what sort of headphones are you looking for?

I'm sure I'm not alone :frowning2:

I'm looking for a pair, around £65 and up to about £100. I would consider spending a little bit more but only contingent on the fact that it's competitively priced to the US. I go to the US/Canada around twice a year and could always get a set if I feel I'm missing out.

I don't have any huge expectations for music. The important thing is that they're a quality set. In particular, I've had bad experiences with jacks and cords losing their connection over time (particularly near the part where it attaches to the headphone) and I would like a set that isn't prone to failing at that part.

It's to be used in a normal laptop headphone jack (3.5mm?)

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Creative Aurvana Live are a fantastic option well within your budget - currently £55 on Amazon UK (which isn't *too* far off the US price of $75.)

Fantastic sound, very comfortable and will run perfectly out of a laptop jack. There are plenty of reviews on this site and this is always worth a read: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 11
I really like some of these great suggestions.

I stumbled across this deal for the M-Audio Q40 headphones for only £60, which is about $30 off from the American price. I'm wondering what you all think of these headphones. There are a few positive reviews on head-fi and this seems like a really, really good deal.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 11
Hi take a look at Sony MDR-V55.

Plently of bass, should suit you well for RnB.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V55-DJ-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B007I1QY5Y/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1359299040&sr=8-30

£45 in the UK
$72 in the US

Oh and welcome to the UK!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 11
I would never buy any new Grados in this country. The prices are crazy and you don't have the cheap after sale service like you would in the US. If you really have to, buy them used, or look at other brands. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
The Jaycar version of the Brainwavz HM5 is cheaper in the UK than the US.
http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=AA2065

I didn't realize these had detachable cables as well. I really like that. I'm really liking this suggestion of the Jaycar headphones and it seems to be a killer deal. I may place an order later tonight.

Edit:/ Just placed the order. After searching the web, it seems like these Jaycar earphones are a bit of a hidden gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back