pens
Oct 20, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #31 of 45
Sorry to hear you were disappointed by the lamy. Lamy pens in general (at least all the ones I've seen) tend to be pretty light.

Now that you mention scratch removal, anyone recommend any products for removing fine scratches from celluloid or cellulose resin? What sort of polish are you refering too?

Vert: Those sensa meridians look tempting. And fairly cheap too! I saw them at executive essentials for $60.

They also have the
vermeil on clearance...$207.

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 45
Celluloid can be polished with many things. If you look at the PenTrace archives, you'll see people using BlueMagic, Flitz, Novus #2, Maas, Simichrome, Turtlewax Polish, Brasso, and many other products, even toothpaste. I'd try BlueMagic, Flitz, or Novus #2 first; they're the least abrasive and have less chemical action. But be careful, as some pens you think are celluloid may not be.

If you have an acrylic body pen, try Polywatch. This stuff is made for acrylic (plexiglass) watch crystals. It has a formulation that redeposits the abraded material in scratches -- and it's simply phenomenal. I use that, followed by Novus #1 clean and shine. But NEVER use Polywatch on celluloid -- it'll ruin the pen.

The keys are to polish in one direction (against the scratches), and to use a special fabric that will not add scratches. Pure clean virgin 100% cotton terry cloth is good, but avoid anything with polyester threads (the edge stitches are usually cotton-wrapped poly). Some people swear by a new clean chamois. Novus makes disposable fabric polishing cloths that work incredibly well.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #33 of 45
Yah, I think I'm definitely a bit biased towards heavier/medium weight writing utensils. Not so much that it slows me down when I need to make a quick jot of notes of course, but rather a little weight to indicate some quality behind the thing.

JML, are your Lamy pencils essentially silent other then the click of the lead coming out? I can't help but think that maybe the 2000 pencil is just like this, after all the lead does come out just fine. But it's just strange that a pencil from a fine pens company would make any sort of scratchy noises with the button depression. Even some of the $5 mech. pencils I have are more silent then the Lamy, in that you don't hear any noise other then the click of the lead coming out. These two pen/pencils were already an exchange for a previous pen I returned, which is why I'm a little hesitant about ringing Pencity up yet again if it's just supposed to be like this.
redface.gif

jim, I think that Vermeil link just threw me off of thinking about getting it. Looks like it's just a gold plated version of the Sterling Silver. Glad I read that, I think I'll pass.

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #34 of 45
I have a couple of [Phileas] Waterman pens... i'm surprised no-one has mentioned them...

They have a nice weight to them, and are great writers... prices start at around $60...

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
I have one of the Porsche Design Faber Castel's as well and by the way, you can use the new Parker Gel refill with it which writes fantastically.

kwkarth,

Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference between the gel refill and the regular refill?

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #36 of 45
The gel ink outputs much darker and wetter lines. I just picked up one myself today...it's a bit too dark and wet for my liking, which is bad if your hand starts going over parts of the paper you already wrote on and smearing the ink. If you prefer a dryer ink, stick to the normal ball point refill.

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #37 of 45
Vertigo, the Lamy pencils I have sound the same regardless of the presence or absence of lead. I wonder if the noise you hear is from the lead. I use Pentel or Staedtler B in mine. They're not silent when I advance the lead, but they're smooth. Maybe a bit noiser than a Pilot and a Rotring I have lying around. Perhaps this is your oft-noted sensitivity to high frequencies!
biggrin.gif

If you like heavy pens, you should try Dupont. Expensive, but very nicely made. You'll look like Arnold S. after a while. You need his arms to write with them, and his bankroll to afford them!

Gergor, there are now four kinds of ink/refills other than fountain pen ink. First we had ballpoint refills; the ink in these is a paste, spread by a captured stippled tungsten ball in the tip of the refill. The Parker design size and shape became a "standard" refill, and is now a DIN (German industrial) standard. Most German and Italian refills are made by Schmidt, in Germany. Of course many manufacturers have their own size and shape for refills; I like the Cross jumbo refills for their Selectip designs (the refill is made by Schmidt). Parker's latest ballpoint refill is perhaps the smoothest writing; these are marked "improved" and are made in England. The medium blue is quite nice to use and writes effortlessly (for a ballpoint). Aurora's blue refill is nice, too. Blue ballpoint refills usually write smoother than the black ones, in every manufacturer's lineup. You have to be careful in interchanging the "standard" refills because there are often slight differences between manufacturers sizing of the tip sleeve and the nosepiece hole. Sometimes if they're not exactly intended for the same tolerance you can get a bit of "rattling" when using the pen (the Parker make that noise in my Aurora pens).

Second, we got rollerball refills. These used a watery ink, sort of like fountain pen ink in an oversized ballpoint design. They run out fast, and dry up fast, needing to be capped. Then they made "capless" rollers, that didn't need to be capped; the pens retract the refill, like a ballpoint.

Third, they made gel refills. Most are replacements for rollerballs refills. The ink is a thick, high-viscosity gel, mid-way between the watery fountain pen ink and the paste ballpoint ink. The Pilot G2 pens have this kind of refill, but my favorites are the Cross and Aurora. Again, each manufacturer has a unique design (or two) for the refill, but some "standards" have emerged, and many of these are made in Germany by Schmidt or in Japan. Most high-quality rollerball or gel pens use the body size and shape of a fountain pen (it's more profitable). Black gel refills tend to be the smoothest, with the most solid line. Gels and rollerballs often come in .05 and .07 tips.

Fourth, two companies have come out with gel ink refills in the "standard" Parker shape, so you can put the gel ink refill in many ballpoint pens. Yafa has refills made for them, and Parker recently came out with their own. I've tried both. The Yafa I hated -- I thought were like fingerpaint -- they smeared and left uneven lines. But they make many colors. Parker's version is better, but I don't like them. I have not found the blue locally, but the black are appearing in the office supply discounters and even WalMart. They're not bad, but they still have that "fingerpaint" effect when I write with them. And I get blobs on the tips all the time. Some other manufacturers are making interchangeable rollerball and ballpoint refills for their own design pens.

If you want refills, the best place to buy on the web is the Ink Palette. Anne-Marie H. is the ink expert without peer.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #38 of 45
Good grief, you aren't kidding about Dupont's pricing.
eek.gif
One of their pens costed $1700...

I think I can live with the Lamy 2000's noise level.
tongue.gif
The hard part now is seeing if I'll ever adjust to its weight...it's definitely a change after using the weight balanced Sensa Noir. I occasionally like to spin my pens by their midpoint around my fingers, which is another reason I like my pens with some weight...so they don't go flying off into space.
biggrin.gif

But hey, speaking of heavy pens, ever heard of the Boma (I'm sure you have, you seem to know WAY more about pens then most of us here
redface.gif
)? They're on the slim side, but supposedly very heavy...

http://www.penlovers.com/stylophiles/oct02/10boma.htm

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #39 of 45
I would like and all stainless mechanical pencil - preferably rather thin - with twist mechanism instead of the buttom on the end. My dad once had one and it was so cool just feeling the coal slowly gliding forth by the twist of my fingers.

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #40 of 45
Flasken, Rotring used to make a 600 series mechanical pencil that had a twisting mechanism to advance the lead. The push button retracted the tip of the pencil completely. There was a recent ebay auction for one of these rare beasts:

Rare Rotring 600 Pencil

The pencil is somewhat rarer than most 600 series. This particular one went way higher than I expected, but nevertheless, it fits your description.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #41 of 45
oh yeah, I read about those boma pens too! They sound pretty slick, but um, sort of expensive for a ballpoint... BTW, if you don't like rollerballs because they have wet inks, try some Montblanc rollerball refills. They are extremely smooth and they dry fast. I've never had one smear on me yet.

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #42 of 45
Vertigo, I read about the Boma when that Stylophiles issue was posted. If you like heavy and wide pens, you might like the Officina line. Rollerball and fountain pens. Italian, aluminum and brass, styled like machine tools! The first models were recently reduced in price, because of new models. No pencil, though. I didn't like the grip and the girth.

Dupont is pretty pricey, for sure! I tried a palladium and black one, and it was just far too heavy and unbalanced with the cap posted. Plus there were some cosmetic flaws that I would not stand for given the price. If you want to drool over expensive toys, look at the Fountain Pen Hospital website and then get their catalog. Beautiful shots, great selection, and great prices (but for the limited editions).

My favorite mechanical pencil is a cheap Pilot Shaker. You shake it and the lead advances. No buttons, no twist. Sliding sleeve, too. $7.98 I used to use them to critique my students' papers, but now I use the computer for that.

If I could get one pen today, without cost, I might go for a Grayson Tighe custom titanium pen, using the Pelikan's internals and with filligree! I saw a picture in a new Pen World magazine yesterday, and it's gorgeous. Probably writes well, too. http://www.tighepen.com/index.html

m1.jpg

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
kwkarth,

Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference between the gel refill and the regular refill?

Experientially, the difference is as Vert indicated. I prefer a darker, denser, wetter line. The effort level needed to push the pen around is much less, the ink flows much more smoothly. It's like writing with a rolling writer, except that it's capless. Some folks like Vertigo, prefer the drier line of a conventional ballpoint.

Technically speaking, typical ballpoints use an oil based ink whereas rolling writers and gell refills use a water based ink.

If you like to write with a fountain pen, you will typically like a rolling writer/gell ink refill, although they're not as smooth or as expressive as a good fountain pen, they're the next best thing and a lot less trouble as far as care and feeding.
Cheers

Oct 20, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
[/size=1]Yah, I think I'm definitely a bit biased towards heavier/medium weight writing utensils. Not so much that it slows me down when I need to make a quick jot of notes of course, but rather a little weight to indicate some quality behind the thing.
[/size]

Hey Vert,
If you want a great deal on a quality pen with heft and uniqueness, check out the sale on the Dupont Orpheo Vertigo. They're awesome pens and at an awesome price right now. Pictures simply do not do them justice. FP, RB, and Ballpoint/pencil are available.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/c...p?CK=34&MFG=15

481500.jpg

penexpress_1693_21731197

penexpress_1711_877818

Good luck!

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #45 of 45
Vert!
What was I thinking?? The ballpoint does not use a Parker type refill at all...ARGGGHH! It uses a proprietary cross-like refill. It's such a wonderful write anyway, I don't mind, but I just wanted to correct my mistake. Sorry for the misinformation.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back