The PENON official thread
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,926 of 13,527

I Love the opening strum and percussion, slowly building up w/ strings (very sweet!) and when I got to @2:14 WOW! Magnificent!
The percussion detail, you'll love. Here we go, @5:25 - double bass pedals, the entire drum work is awesome, they're fast - The Globes keep up!
@6:11 come the multiple point voices. They're all equally in scale with the rest of the instruments.
Overall, the tone is neutral to warm, as usual Penon house sound is ever present, excellent Mids coupled w/ great bass. Now we get energy and excellent controlled but extended treble
The Globes simply put, give justice to an excellent performance and production
There's order in chaos, man! Auditioning done!
I'm enjoying the Music now...

Seems I'm buying this album
1628402176152.png

I'm glad they're able to keep up with the music and it sounds like they present it well. Ne Obliviscaris is really something special, happy you liked the song!

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #2,927 of 13,527
I'm glad they're able to keep up with the music and it sounds like they present it well. Ne Obliviscaris is really something special, happy you liked the song!
Truth be told, I enjoyed them very much on the Globes!
Coherence, Separation, speed is outstanding, given the complexity of the 12 minute track. There's space in between instruments. Multi point Voices have their own space.
There's copious amount of low level and macro detail that'll give notice to our ears, But the Fun factor is extremely high on this set.
Fans of the genre, rest assured, will definitely have so much foot tapping, head bangin' fun on their Globes...

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,928 of 13,527
Another song I use to test IEMs is Bôa - Duvet. This song really shines on warm, fun IEMs. It requires a full midrange and expressive bass. I usually prefer female vocals to sit more intimately in the mix rather than pushed backwards.
Excellent track choice. The presentation is bodied and warm, energetic, lively. Bass is well defined, resolving and tuned well. Voice is not recessed, if this is your avoiding. They're not recessed. They're on equal scale to the rest of the instruments. Mids is Penon's strongest suit coupled with very good bass. Treble is not overcooked, sparkly extended and w/ good level of detail.

1:35 to 2:15: Really shines with exceptional bass. Full, warm, and almost syrupy at times. One of my favorite sections of any song in my library.

Really shines indeed! The percussion is very akin to Z1R essence and flavour. Bass has very good definition, bass pedal, bass string. Very nice sweet strings and defined keyboards! It's rendered with the fullness and (exacting) warmth, I would come to expect you'll appreciate. Jasmine's voice is very much alive. Actually, the band's performance and production is excellent here.

1628454742747.png

Duvet Bôa​

Japan CD single

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #2,930 of 13,527
This is the cable comes with Penon Legend, finally completed:relaxed:

:)

Looks great! Not too thick, not too thin. What materials are being used? :)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #2,931 of 13,527
Looks great! Not too thick, not too thin. What materials are being used? :)
It is 4 strands high-purity pure silver cable.

:)

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Aug 13, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #2,932 of 13,527
The Globe arrived a few days ago. Well, lets just say it's sitting proud near the top of a pile of other IEMs. The midrange is so impressive! Going to burn them in good and proper and then write a review.

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,933 of 13,527
The Globe arrived a few days ago. Well, lets just say it's sitting proud near the top of a pile of other IEMs. The midrange is so impressive! Going to burn them in good and proper and then write a review.

Can you do comparitions with the Aladdin? Apreciate it!

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #2,934 of 13,527
Can you do comparitions with the Aladdin? Apreciate it!

Yeah, I will be doing a brief Aladdin / Globe comparison at the end. :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #2,936 of 13,527
My Globes arrived today and I've put a few hours into them. Huge thank you again to @ehjie and @KickAssChewGum , whose strong recommendations convinced me to buy these. Also @Dsnuts for the fantastic review.

Here's my impressions:

1d483ff005560e576b2bf92831374434.gif

Jokes aside, I'm happy with them and considering buying some Volts because I like them.

These definitely require large-bore tips. Out of the box I tried my beloved Final E Clears and the bass was far too boomy. The included e-Pro tips toned it down enough while not sacrificing any clarity. Sedna regulars and Spiral dots were a very close second.

Revised 8/17/21 after enough critical listening:

Strengths:

• Decent midrange tonality. Despite the bassy presentation of the IEM, the midrange is very good. Warm, smooth, musuical. Male vocals have just the right amount of weight in the lower midrange to sound rich, and female vocals are never shouty. Zero plasticky BA timbre (Sonion magic?).
  • Minimal bass bleed into the midrange. Definitely more sub-bass focused but mid-bass presence is just right. Decent kick/punch. Sub-bass can go incredibly deep on certain songs. Feel it in my chest. Looser bass rather than tight. It makes its presence well-known.
  • Completely smooth treble. No peaks or sibilance. On the softer, gentler side. Some air. Fits the overall presentation well.
  • Soundstage is close enough to allow for intimate vocals, but not congested. Guitar strings sound like they are outside the ear. It feels like the Globe takes up a sphere inside your head and has decent depth. Impressive, fits the sound signature well.
  • Very good positional imaging for drums and strings within the spherical soundstage. This grew on me and I appreciated it more as I listened.
  • Has a full "wall of sound" feeling similar to when I listen to my HD650. No other IEM has replicated this. Probably simulated due to the full bass response.
  • Incredibly forgiving of poorly mastered tracks. It takes a song and removes the grain and makes it sound like an IEM technical issue rather than a track issue. Pretty cool. Most forgiving out of any IEM or headphone I've tried, and it's not even close.

Weaknesses:
  • Look, I'm by no means a detail freak. But the Globes have the detail of something you'd expect to find in the ~150-200$ range. I miss some of the subtler details in some of my songs. This issue is mostly contained to the upper midrange.
  • Sub-bass is just above the upper limit of my tolerance (I am not a bass-head). It's somewhat controlled with the correct tips. I wouldn't call the bass "muddy" as it definitely doesn't obscure the lower midrange. It just doesn't always give the midrange enough room to breathe. Track dependent.
  • Because of its warm relaxed sound signature, female vocals and upper midrange lack enough energy and detail. I am unapologetic and exceptionally picky about my midrange preference and will make zero compromises. This "issue" alone for me removes this IEM as a possible contender for daily driver. To each their own.
  • This is not an issue to me but the treble has just a hint of BA timbre.

Overall if you're looking for a warm, bassy, smooth, musical IEM in the mid-fi bracket I can definitely recommend this. It is very good at what it aims to do, and makes minimal sacrifices to achieve it. Exceptional for electronic music.

Does it perfectly fit my preferences? No. Is it good? Absolutely yes.

4/5

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #2,937 of 13,527
@tgx78 I saw you own both the Globe and the Volt. Would you happen to have a graph with both of their frequency responses on it? I would greatly appreciate it.

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #2,940 of 13,527
My Globes arrived today and I've put a few hours into them. Huge thank you again to @ehjie and @KickAssChewGum , whose strong recommendations convinced me to buy these. Also @Dsnuts for the fantastic review.

Here's my initial impressions:

Jokes aside, I'm happy with them and strongly considering buying some Volts because I like them so much.

These definitely require large-bore tips. Out of the box I tried my beloved Final E Clears and the bass was far too boomy. The included e-Pro tips toned it down enough while not sacrificing any clarity. Sedna regulars and Spiral dots were a very close second.

Strengths:
  • I can't emphasize enough how incredible the midrange tonality is on these. I could write an entire post about it. Zero sacrifices made here, unlike many popular IEMs. Warm, smooth, and musical. Male vocals have just the right amount of weight in the lower midrange to sound rich, and female vocals are energetic but never shouty. Just the right amount of airiness. Zero plasticky BA timbre (Sonion magic?). Exceptional. 👌
  • Minimal to no bass bleed into the midrange. Again, no sacrifices made. Definitely more sub-bass focused but mid-bass presence is just right. Decent kick/punch.
  • Completely smooth treble. No peaks or sibilance. On the softer, gentler side.
  • Soundstage fits the profile of "warm, smooth, rich" quite well. Close enough to allow for intimate vocals, but not congested. Guitar strings sound like they are outside the ear. Imaging is decent, as expected at this price.
  • ZERO listening fatigue, mental or physical. I can put these in my ears and totally forget about them and relax.
  • Has a very full "wall of sound" feeling similar to when I listen to my HD650. No other IEM has replicated this.

Weaknesses:
  • Look, I'm by no means a detail freak. But the Globes have the detail of something you'd expect to find in the ~150-200$ range. It's right on the border of where it could start to negatively impact my listening experience. This is my main criticism of the Globe, even though I really like it. The flip side is that these are the most forgiving IEMs for poorly mastered tracks that I've listened to yet.
  • Sub-bass is at the upper limits of my tolerance. It's mostly controlled with the correct tips. Never had something this sub-bassy before so there's probably just some brain burn-in required.
  • This is not an issue to me but the treble has just a hint of BA timbre.

I've been on a hunt for an IEM with my preferred sound signature for a while now. The Globe gets me ~80% of the way to my ""endgame"" (haha good one), closer than any other IEM I've owned thus far.

To the folks who have owned both the Globe and the Volt: I'm strongly considering getting one, but it is a considerable investment and I would like to ask some questions about the differences between the two IEMs. Any input would be appreciated. Compared to the Globe, does the Volt:
  1. Have increased clarity and detail, comparable to other IEMs around the 800$ price bracket
  2. Maintain the excellent, warm midrange and smooth treble
  3. Have a more refined bass response
  4. Have better imaging
  5. Perform at least ~20-25% better overall (If you absolutely had to quantify the differences, although I know this is incredibly subjective)

Thanks for coming to my HEAD Talk!

I'm having a very similar experience to you. Incredibly forgiving and with a 'romantic' midrange tonality. Also interested in the answers to the questions you've posed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back