4 Sonion intermediate frequency balanced armature
4 Sonion high frequency balanced armature
1 Knowles ultra-high frequency balanced armature
Impedance: 19 ohm
Frequency response range: 20-20kHz
Sensitivity: 112dB
1625752555340.png

Very interesting indeed!
They're going to use vented BA receivers for bass, and up top a super tweeter BA receiver each side.
Looks like a new chapter tuning is coming...

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #2,839 of 13,613
Hey everyone, I’m interested to know what’s the gain when moving from the orb to the globe?

I have had the legacy 3, Shuoer tape pro, and now have the blon bl01 and reecho & peacock spring 1. I like the coherency of the single dd with the bl01 but don’t enjoy the v shaped signature. I like the spring 1’s but can’t put the volume up too much otherwise the highs get too much. So I have a feeling from my experiences I like a bassy neutral signature or I guess it can be called an L shaped signature. The orb intrigued me from the start because it apparently has great coherency and natural sound. Am I right in those observations? The treble roll off may actually be preferable for me anyways. Though I’d assume extension isn’t where my issues lie with treble but rather peaky treble would be my issue (because I hear the mangird tea has good extension but just doesn’t overwhelm).

The globe looks great but some of the reviews said it’s a bit coloured and so maybe natural isn’t it’s strong suit?

The orb was on my watch list for very long but just have felt disconcerted by the lack of reviews outside of this community.
What do you all recommend between the two and if not them two what else is an option (like the mangird tea maybe? Just not sure if it has enough mid bass for me).

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #2,840 of 13,613
Hey everyone, I’m interested to know what’s the gain when moving from the orb to the globe?

I have had the legacy 3, Shuoer tape pro, and now have the blon bl01 and reecho & peacock spring 1. I like the coherency of the single dd with the bl01 but don’t enjoy the v shaped signature. I like the spring 1’s but can’t put the volume up too much otherwise the highs get too much. So I have a feeling from my experiences I like a bassy neutral signature or I guess it can be called an L shaped signature. The orb intrigued me from the start because it apparently has great coherency and natural sound.
Yes, if your a vinyl guy, you should love these
Am I right in those observations? The treble roll off may actually be preferable for me anyways. Though I’d assume extension isn’t where my issues lie with treble but rather peaky treble would be my issue (because I hear the mangird tea has good extension but just doesn’t overwhelm).
The Globes do have treble, but controlled in a fantastic way - NO peaks, devoid sibilant
The globe looks great but some of the reviews said it’s a bit coloured and so maybe natural isn’t it’s strong suit?
No, not @ all, its more neutral compared to the orbs, so its less coloured from what i hear...
The orb was on my watch list for very long but just have felt disconcerted by the lack of reviews outside of this community.
What do you all recommend between the two and if not them two what else is an option (like the mangird tea maybe? Just not sure if it has enough mid bass for me).
Better treble, extended response
more details, a larger sound field
That's a step up if you like better trebles...

IMG_20210515_110329.jpg

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,841 of 13,613
Jul 12, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,842 of 13,613

I have had the legacy 3, Shuoer tape pro, and now have the blon bl01 and reecho & peacock spring 1. I like the coherency of the single dd with the bl01 but don’t enjoy the v shaped signature. I like the spring 1’s but can’t put the volume up too much otherwise the highs get too much. So I have a feeling from my experiences I like a bassy neutral signature or I guess it can be called an L shaped signature. The orb intrigued me from the start because it apparently has great coherency and natural sound. Am I right in those observations? The treble roll off may actually be preferable for me anyways. Though I’d assume extension isn’t where my issues lie with treble but rather peaky treble would be my issue (because I hear the mangird tea has good extension but just doesn’t overwhelm).

https://audio123reviews.com/2020/10/30/penon-orb/

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,843 of 13,613
Yes, if your a vinyl guy, you should love these

The Globes do have treble, but controlled in a fantastic way - NO peaks, devoid sibilant

No, not @ all, its more neutral compared to the orbs, so its less coloured from what i hear...

Better treble, extended response
more details, a larger sound field
That's a step up if you like better trebles...

Wow thanks for the detailed response.

yeah I practically listen to any genre of music and so if it can handle pretty much every genre quite well with electronic music also having pleasing bass impact then that’s great!! Unfortunately, never listened to vinyl before actually.

just checked the graph out and it has the dip at about 7-8k and that’s where that brilliance and sibilants can sometimes come from. So I think that’s good to see.

ok great I’m glad to hear that. Often I think I’m hunting for neutral but also really like deep house and electronic to have that oomf. Lol audio gear can be quite a conundrum. Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #2,844 of 13,613
Further to the Globes, more energetic compared to the Orbs
Globe fr Graph
You'll appreciate this track more on the Globes

albeit, my preference goes to the Orbs on tracks similar to this

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,845 of 13,613
It’s colored for sure, but reportedly less so than the Orb (I’ve not heard the Orb).

As for “natural”, that’s a term probably harder to define even than “neutral” in objective terms, and will depend strongly on individual experience and preferences - not to mention genre.

Personally I think some coloration is often necessary to sound natural, but in my own opinion the Globe still falls to the warm side of natural whereas “true neutral” would fall to the cold side of natural.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,847 of 13,613
It’s colored for sure, but reportedly less so than the Orb (I’ve not heard the Orb).

As for “natural”, that’s a term probably harder to define even than “neutral” in objective terms, and will depend strongly on individual experience and preferences - not to mention genre.

Personally I think some coloration is often necessary to sound natural, but in my own opinion the Globe still falls to the warm side of natural whereas “true neutral” would fall to the cold side of natural.
Yeah true. I must say that I really like the legacy 3 and it was also said to be coloured (so I actually shouldn’t really see that as a negative and also as you say it may be necessary for a natural playback). I think warm side is pretty good, I loved the 6XX sound and that’s regarded as warm. Honestly the globe is looking really good but can’t afford it at the moment. Probably going to wait until the spring 1’s give in to get it (by then I could have saved up enough hopefully).

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,848 of 13,613
Yeah true. I must say that I really like the legacy 3 and it was also said to be coloured (so I actually shouldn’t really see that as a negative and also as you say it may be necessary for a natural playback). I think warm side is pretty good, I loved the 6XX sound and that’s regarded as warm. Honestly the globe is looking really good but can’t afford it at the moment. Probably going to wait until the spring 1’s give in to get it (by then I could have saved up enough hopefully).

Yep. Something to that tonality, bit less warm compared to Senns, more treble extension on the Globes
Mids are always full bodied, rich on the Penon house sound...

IMG_20190215_123530.jpg

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #2,849 of 13,613

Users who are viewing this thread

Back