The PENON official thread
Apr 8, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #2,431 of 13,527
My Globes arrived after almost 2 weeks, disappointed in DHL.

NOT disappointed in Penon though, initial impressions are excellent! Very rich and musical tonality, and @Dsnuts said the Penon house sound is indeed quite unique. I'm glad I passed on the Orb since for me this type of tuning really needs the treble detail, energy and air that the second BA provides in order to avoid sounding wooly or muffled - which I am very happy to report the Globe does not IMO.

The lushness of the sound does not at all prevent the stage from being both expansive and well-proportioned - lots of height as well as width. Separation and details seem quite decent, nothing extraordinary but this is of course due to the tonality rather than a deficiency in technical ability.

Fit and isolation are both very good to my ears.

If I had to give a criticism, I would say that there is more BA timbre than I would like in the upper frequencies. Those who are not timbre junkies like me will likely not be bothered by it much.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #2,432 of 13,527
@tgx78 posted a Globe graph on page 161. One with Z1R and one with Volt. On that graph Globe has at least 2-3db more than Z1R from 1k all the way down.
Found it. Thanks.

Yeah, the Globe has an pronounced low end but it is a skater bottom. No flab.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #2,433 of 13,527
OK, just slapped my Spiral Dots onto these things and man the stage opened up even further and to my ear the lows and mids became more coherent as well. This IEM sounds like a smooth vintage tube amp. Horns sound outstanding.

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #2,434 of 13,527
How are you finding the Globes vs the LZ A7s? I did try the Orbs before the A7s - the Orbs were lacking treble extension and details for me but otherwise had a very nice and smooth tuning. Currently have the A7s which I enjoy quite a bit, though I could use a little more "sweetness" or musical signature / mids. How do you find the bass quality / texture / tightness of the Globes vs A7? From my memory the Orbs had a very impactful bass that was more visceral, though I think A7 may have the edge on bass texture - not sure though without an A/B test.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #2,435 of 13,527
For anyone with the Orbs, have a try with the Penon Cable Leo Plus. This opens up the soundstage and treble is improved very much so. May not be up to the overall standards of the Globe, but it comes very near.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #2,436 of 13,527
Penon Fan represents a technical tuning made for the use of our patrons.
These are for the hard core enthusiast that would rather use a portable amp, a desktop source and or a higher end DAP rather than using a simple cell phone to hear their music.

Sound design has our philosophy of a larger spacious airy stage with a high degree of technical yet musical presentation. We encourage our enthusiasts to get the best out of the FANs. Use your higher end powered sources to reveal what they are truly about.

Due to the nature of dynamic drivers we also encourage at least 100 hours of break in before listening critically. With a proper source, the FANs will reveal a much wider more expansive stage. Excellent dynamic character from the lowest of notes to the highest of the highs. Details and a refinement you will not be able to perceive with a weaker source.

Once heard at their true potential we feel you will understand why we named the earphones the FAN.
:)

PENON FAN.jpg

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,437 of 13,527
OK, just slapped my Spiral Dots onto these things and man the stage opened up even further and to my ear the lows and mids became more coherent as well. This IEM sounds like a smooth vintage tube amp. Horns sound outstanding.
Thank you for inspiring me to do some tip rolling. I was having issues with some go-to songs, where, to my ears, the Globe's bass was impeding the mids.

Without subtracting from the bass authority needed for bass-oriented songs/remixes:

DUNU vocal tips did the job! They tamed the bass, just a couple dBs, and opened up the mids and treble a couple dBs. That said, this had the effect of subtracting from some of the Globe's lushness. Now the hard choice is delicious but defined lushness or a superb more balanced presentation... Penon has made a total winner with the Globe.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #2,438 of 13,527
How are you finding the Globes vs the LZ A7s? I did try the Orbs before the A7s - the Orbs were lacking treble extension and details for me but otherwise had a very nice and smooth tuning. Currently have the A7s which I enjoy quite a bit, though I could use a little more "sweetness" or musical signature / mids. How do you find the bass quality / texture / tightness of the Globes vs A7? From my memory the Orbs had a very impactful bass that was more visceral, though I think A7 may have the edge on bass texture - not sure though without an A/B test.
I just got the Globes so I still need more time to do a proper comparison. The Globes are for sure firmly on the musical end of the analytical-musical spectrum, whereas to me the A7 is nicely in the middle. As far as bass, at this point in time the A7 have the tighter bass for sure, the Globes go for a more atmospheric feel at the low end especially. I'm still tip-rolling which makes a big difference in the presentation of the bass on this IEM, using the stock orange tips the bass could get quite overwhelming on some tracks but the Spiral Dots brought more balance for my non-basshead sensibilities while retaining the lushness of the sound. Also, while I am burn-in agnostic it should be emphasized that the Globe's DD hasn't had juice flowing through it for too long yet.

Will report more impressions later.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,439 of 13,527
Penon Fan represents a technical tuning made for the use of our patrons.
These are for the hard core enthusiast that would rather use a portable amp, a desktop source and or a higher end DAP rather than using a simple cell phone to hear their music.

Sound design has our philosophy of a larger spacious airy stage with a high degree of technical yet musical presentation. We encourage our enthusiasts to get the best out of the FANs. Use your higher end powered sources to reveal what they are truly about.

Due to the nature of dynamic drivers we also encourage at least 100 hours of break in before listening critically. With a proper source, the FANs will reveal a much wider more expansive stage. Excellent dynamic character from the lowest of notes to the highest of the highs. Details and a refinement you will not be able to perceive with a weaker source.

Once heard at their true potential we feel you will understand why we named the earphones the FAN.
:)

PENON FAN.jpg
I noticed the FAN can't be purchased on Penon anymore. Are they still available?

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,440 of 13,527
How to describe the tonality of the Globe? Reverse J-shape? Lol. Very unique. Mids are certainly not recessed but there's obvious emphasis on the low end and the highs also seem somewhat accented, not to the point of peakiness but there's a good amount of crispness, sparkle and energy up top.

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,441 of 13,527
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,443 of 13,527
Someone mentioned Globes as vinyl sounding ?
Yes they are, yes they Do...
:beerchug:
IMG_20210402_110528.jpg

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #2,444 of 13,527
Apr 10, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,445 of 13,527
After three days of illness, I've done almost nothing except listen to the Globes - and write this modest review: Penon Globe 2BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile IEM

I hope you get back to full health soon. Great review! Like you, I think the Globe is a very endearing and musical IEM. I find that I like the Globe better with more complex pieces over “simpler” pieces, though. I prefer my Yume for smaller ensembles and the singer/songwriter genres. Just different tastes. I am really liking the effect my DUNU “transparency” tips have with the Globe. The richness with the stock green-grey tips is also an excellent approach to the Globe. Nothing but audio goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back