The PENON official thread
Aug 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,911 of 13,341
Thank you! I figured it pertained to stem diameter. Glad it does. I have the 00s on Sultan right now. Tight fit! Ordered 01s.
I gotta tell ya, these tips really alter the sound. It’s kind of astonishing. Mids and treble really cleared up and moved forward. Separation stays good but…stage seems reduced as does sub bass.
Don’t know if I could use these full time, cuz of trade offs. Nice sultan sounding this way!
Are described effects consistent with what others have noticed?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #2,912 of 13,341
Aug 7, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #2,913 of 13,341
Hey y'all, I generally prefer mildly rolled-off / laid back treble. Would the Globe have too much treble presence? Any sibilance or peakiness present in the IEM? Also, how is the mid-bass texture specifically?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #2,914 of 13,341
Hey y'all, I generally prefer mildly rolled-off / laid back treble. Would the Globe have too much treble presence? Any sibilance or peakiness present in the IEM? Also, how is the mid-bass texture specifically?
No sibilance to my ears. Slightly relaxed but still very detailed treble. Mid bass texture is quite full and fun, as opposed to tight and snappy, but not woolly and it really suits the overall presentation of the rest of the signature. Sub bass is also excellent. At this price point, the @Penon Globes are the best, most fun IEMs I’ve heard to date. One of the easiest IEM recommendations ever.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,915 of 13,341
No sibilance to my ears. Slightly relaxed but still very detailed treble. Mid bass texture is quite full and fun, as opposed to tight and snappy, but not woolly and it really suits the overall presentation of the rest of the signature. Sub bass is also excellent. At this price point, the @Penon Globes are the best, most fun IEMs I’ve heard to date. One of the easiest IEM recommendations ever.
Awesome, thanks for the thoughtful response. Sounds very promising, as I've been looking for a warm, musical IEM for a while. Looks like my wallet is in for another beating...

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,916 of 13,341
Awesome, thanks for the thoughtful response. Sounds very promising, as I've been looking for a warm, musical IEM for a while. Looks like my wallet is in for another beating...

Do post your thoughts when you get them! Seems like we have a pretty similar taste in tuning, and clearly warmer and more musical IEMs seem surprisingly rare.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,917 of 13,341
Do post your thoughts when you get them! Seems like we have a pretty similar taste in tuning, and clearly warmer and more musical IEMs seem surprisingly rare.
Warmer more musical tuning is kinda @Penon’s house sound. Both the Globes and their more expensive (but still incredible value) Volts are exceptional IEMs in this regard (and many others too). I’m really looking forward to hearing what they achieve with their new flagship Legend all-BA IEM too. I think it’s going to be pretty special.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,918 of 13,341
Warmer more musical tuning is kinda @Penon’s house sound. Both the Globes and their more expensive (but still incredible value) Volts are exceptional IEMs in this regard (and many others too). I’m really looking forward to hearing what they achieve with their new flagship Legend all-BA IEM too. I think it’s going to be pretty special.

Interesting! I already ordered the CA Honeydew (admittedly a much more low end/bass focused and thick rather than warm exactly) earlier today so I'll wait and see how I feel about that one, but if it doesn't deliver, I'm definitely gonna try the Globe too. It looks very promising.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,919 of 13,341
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,920 of 13,341
Interesting! I already ordered the CA Honeydew (admittedly a much more low end/bass focused and thick rather than warm exactly) earlier today so I'll wait and see how I feel about that one, but if it doesn't deliver, I'm definitely gonna try the Globe too. It looks very promising.
My thoughts on the Globe, if you’re interested, to accompany @ehjie’s excellent impressions:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16379639

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,921 of 13,341
Hey y'all, I generally prefer mildly rolled-off / laid back treble. Would the Globe have too much treble presence? NO

Any sibilance or peakiness present in the IEM? None, The Globes are not a hot pair

Also, how is the mid-bass texture specifically?
Full, doesn't bleed onto the lower mids, quite energetic

It will help a lot if you'd share a couple of your test tracks...

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,922 of 13,341
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #2,923 of 13,341
Re: Globes, Energetic
The Sub Bass has very good rumble, texture. bass can be felt. Mid bass is full. No bleed thro' the lower mids
Mids - (Penon's Forte coupled w/ the Bass) Excellent, punches way above its price range. detailed, full bodied, not very thick compared to the Orbs
Trebles - controlled but extended, sibilant free even on well known sibilant albums
Overall: Good headphone imaging out of head. Excellent ADSR PRAT

This is a foot tapping track on a pair of Globes. Check out the superlative percussion speed, outstanding double kick bass, Geddy's bass,/voice, Amie's voice. Overall band performance, quality of production...

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,924 of 13,341
It will help a lot if you'd share a couple of your test tracks...
The most challenging song I've found for IEMs is what I consider to be one of the best progressive metal songs: Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not. This song excels with a strong midrange, and is busy enough at times to really reveal an IEM's coherency. Bloaty or overpowering bass can muddy energy of the song, whereas too dry or clinical of an approach can remove the musicality.

What I specifically look when listening to this song:

1:20 to 4:15: Guitar string texture, drum punch, a touch of sub-bass, and most importantly the emotional Violin performance (some darker IEMs tend to overshadow it if the upper-midrange is too recessed).

5:20 to 5:55: Test to see if the IEM can maintain its composure and coherency through a busier passage. Should maintain a "full" sound without neutering the violin. Imaging can sometimes struggle here, but that's expected.

6:20 to 8:30: Both low and higher male vocal presence, again a busier section.

Another song I use to test IEMs is Bôa - Duvet. This song really shines on warm, fun IEMs. It requires a full midrange and expressive bass. I usually prefer female vocals to sit more intimately in the mix rather than pushed backwards.

1:35 to 2:15: Really shines with exceptional bass. Full, warm, and almost syrupy at times. One of my favorite sections of any song in my library.

Once Penon gets back to me about DHL Express shipping, I'll likely place an order for the Globes.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #2,925 of 13,341
The most challenging song I've found for IEMs is what I consider to be one of the best progressive metal songs: Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not. This song excels with a strong midrange, and is busy enough at times to really reveal an IEM's coherency. Bloaty or overpowering bass can muddy energy of the song, whereas too dry or clinical of an approach can remove the musicality.

What I specifically look when listening to this song:

1:20 to 4:15: Guitar string texture, drum punch, a touch of sub-bass, and most importantly the emotional Violin performance (some darker IEMs tend to overshadow it if the upper-midrange is too recessed).

5:20 to 5:55: Test to see if the IEM can maintain its composure and coherency through a busier passage. Should maintain a "full" sound without neutering the violin. Imaging can sometimes struggle here, but that's expected.

6:20 to 8:30: Both low and higher male vocal presence, again a busier section.

Another song I use to test IEMs is Bôa - Duvet. This song really shines on warm, fun IEMs. It requires a full midrange and expressive bass. I usually prefer female vocals to sit more intimately in the mix rather than pushed backwards.

1:35 to 2:15: Really shines with exceptional bass. Full, warm, and almost syrupy at times. One of my favorite sections of any song in my library.

Once Penon gets back to me about DHL Express shipping, I'll likely place an order for the Globes.

I Love the opening strum and percussion, slowly building up w/ strings (very sweet!) and when I got to @2:14 WOW! Magnificent!
The percussion detail, you'll love. Here we go, @5:25 - double bass pedals, the entire drum work is awesome, they're fast - The Globes keep up!
@6:11 come the multiple point voices. They're all equally in scale with the rest of the instruments.
Overall, the tone is neutral to warm, as usual Penon house sound is ever present, excellent Mids coupled w/ great bass. Now we get energy and excellent controlled but extended treble
The Globes simply put, give justice to an excellent performance and production
There's order in chaos, man! Auditioning done!
I'm enjoying the Music now...

Seems I'm buying this album
1628402176152.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back