The PENON official thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13,527

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
1591764266307.png

Penon Orb HiFi Audiophile IEM https://penon-official.com/product/penon-orb/

• Balanced Armature+ Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Detachable Audiophile IEMS
  • 10mm dynamic driver Graphite fiber wire paper dome soft grainless vibrating membrane
  • Exclusive customization, brass is processed by precision lathe, the size is accurate to 0.1㎜, and the surface is specially treated to prevent oxidation. Compared with stamping parts, the cost is higher.

Sound signature:

• Punchy bass
  • Crystal clear vocals
  • Crispy and sparkly high frequency
  • Soundstage gives a surround sound

Specification

• Brand: Penon
  • Model: ORB
  • Driver: Balanced Armature full frequency
  • Dynamic driver: 10mm
  • Impedance: 10 Ω @1khz
  • Sensitivity: 112 ± 3dB @1khz
  • Frequency response: 20hz-20Khz
  • Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm
  • Plug: 3.5mm Audio
  • Cable length: 1.2M
  • 1591764526291.png

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 13,527
I got the Orbs in my ears as I am typing. Initial impressions out of the box. The balance is superb on these. I got them plugged into my M15. Threw on my Sendafit tips. Stock cable is a good cable nothing special however. This cable is infinitely better than the cable that was included on the Spheres. Looks like a SPC variety a thinner cored 8 core cable in single end. I got the micd version as well to test out.

Cohesion is suberb between bass dynamic and the full range BA they are using. Mid range is rich/ smooth with very good dimensional qualities to it. It does remind me of the mid range on the Spheres. Treble is clean and don't seem to have any hot spots I am hearing. Graph on these look a touch V shaped but I wouldn't even say that they are. The bass lift is done very tastefully. Bass is cleaner with a bit less emphasis than what is on the H40. Mid range emphasis is similar but I want to say the Orb sounds richer in tone to me. Sound stage is superb. Has very good imaging. It is a clean rangy dynamic sounding unit. These sound great. I think Penon got another winner on thier hands.

Bass is surprisingly very high quality on these. It is tight and digs deep. Great rumbling sub bass texture. The description of the bass dynamic.
10mm dynamic driver Graphite fiber wire paper dome soft grainless vibrating membrane. Paper dome? Hmmm Paper dome as in Wood dynamic? In any case this dynamic driver they are using seems to be of a very high quality. Bass is excellent on these.

Treble is airy and don't poke your ears with any type of grain or splashiness. These sound very mature out of the box. Will do the burn in ritual and see where this one goes but thus far. Very impressed.
1591764397040.png

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 13,527
I have tested the Orb and coming from the already impressive Sphere, the Orb takes it to another level with greater dynamics, improved clarity and more headroom.
Very punchy bass with excellent depth, midrange is clear and transparent, treble is well extended. Very open soundstage. The tuning is really nice. I am very impressed. A gem of an iem.

Took a close up picture of the Orb.
IMG_20200609_152551_341.jpg

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 13,527
The bass lift is done very tastefully. Bass is cleaner with a bit less emphasis than what is on the H40. Mid range emphasis is similar but I want to say the Orb sounds richer in tone to me. Sound stage is superb. Has very good imaging. It is a clean rangy dynamic sounding unit. These sound great. I think Penon got another winner on thier hands.
If you have to pick between H40 amd Orb, which one you will you take?
Any idea how much it is?

Thanks

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 13,527
That looks like a Knowles damper on the back - replaceable? Hurrah for 2 pin! No option for balanced cable which is an odd omission for this price point.

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 13,527
Would be interested in some comparisons in somewhat the same kind of price range. Any comparison to Blessing 2, is the sound signature quite different? Perhaps a comparison to TRI I3 if you guys have it :) (mine is on the way but will take several weeks to arrive...)
I assume the Penon price is in US dollars i.e. 260$?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 13,527
These sound organic and rich vs being bright and analytical. Very enjoyable listen. They sound like a more mature sounding Sphere + ISN H40 mixed in one. As much as I am digging on the full range BA they are using on these. I am loving the bass end of these things. This has excellent bass. It is a top quality type of bass.

So, out of the Sphere, Orb, and ISN H40, the Orb is really the one to get? Regarding isolation, since the DD is attached to the nozzle by a 3D tube, then the vent doesn’t communicate directly with the nozzle? Isolation should be outstanding then (with proper tips, of course).

I think the comparison many will want will be with the Blessing 2, and if I may add the TA Legacy 3, if by any chance you have access to it. Thanks.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 13,527
After more than 50 hours of burn-in, the bass is much tighter and the presentation is more open. What stands out for me is how the vocals are so clear and emotive. Very impressive IEM and I am really surprised myself given the driver config is just 1BA + 1DD. Having heard so many IEMs already, this is definitely a winner in my book. Looking forward to hearing other thoughts on the Orb. :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 13,527
So, out of the Sphere, Orb, and ISN H40, the Orb is really the one to get? Regarding isolation, since the DD is attached to the nozzle by a 3D tube, then the vent doesn’t communicate directly with the nozzle? Isolation should be outstanding then (with proper tips, of course).

I think the comparison many will want will be with the Blessing 2, and if I may add the TA Legacy 3, if by any chance you have access to it. Thanks.

Isolation tested this morning. I have a simple way to testing Isolation. Oh by the way there is zero driver flex from the outstanding dynamic in the orb. I drive to my work with my IEMs. Ya it aint safe. Lol But I do it for the sake of science. I couldnt hear the outside noise from them with music on. If I was to guess these might have an outstanding 28 plus dbs of passive isolation. That is outstanding. It is certainly better than the H40 and recent NF audio NM2 I did a review on that has 25dbs of isolation. They are made of solid Resin pieces so Isolation is excellent.

Also addressing actual size of the ear pieces. These will fit very comfortably for anyone. They are overall a medium sized shell but leaning a bit smaller than medium. No where near a large shell like the H40. Very ergonomic and will fit just about anyone. Penon did an outstanding job on the housing for these.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 13,527
If you have to pick between H40 amd Orb, which one you will you take?
Any idea how much it is?

Thanks

A bit if a discount using this code. 9BBEFTZH Orb is a better deal. The bass end especially is an upgrade on the H40. Love the impactful bass on the H40 but the Orb is more refined in the bass. The H40 sounds a bit more spacious but Orb is no weak sauce in that department.

Better isolation, zero driver flex, 2 pin. rich tonal quality with outstanding bass. Get the ORB.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 13,527
A bit if a discount using this code. 9BBEFTZH Orb is a better deal. The bass end especially is an upgrade on the H40. Love the impactful bass on the H40 but the Orb is more refined in the bass. The H40 sounds a bit more spacious but Orb is no weak sauce in that department.

Better isolation, zero driver flex, 2 pin. rich tonal quality with outstanding bass. Get the ORB.

Thanks a lot man, hope the promo will be last longer for me to save up first because it exceeds my original budget.

I think I should stop reading your post:thinking:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 13,527
How would you rate the micro detail on the Orb? Compared to some other renowned multi-BA IEMs, such as the Fearless S8.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 13,527
How would you rate the micro detail on the Orb? Compared to some other renowned multi-BA IEMs, such as the Fearless S8.
It is close but not as detailed. The S8 has a more clinical performance while the Orb provides a more fatigue-free listen.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 13,527
@audio123 I recall you have D10, is the size of Orb close to D10? Bigger or smaller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back