The PENON official thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,036 of 13,608
Yes,i understand now how you put it....by memory i believe that S6Rui is totally black background,very silent ,BUT i ll be checking that out during the day in order to confirm it again
apart from that, the notes on 6SRui have more weight (its more of a weighty,solid coherent sound in much higher volumes but not in the cost of transparency though, saying that cause S6Rui is transparent sounding as welI....The only downside is that.....when you come across with an earphone such as the Teas (much lower priced), you may wonder why the hell you spent so many on S6Rui in the first place.......my belief...) :angry::weary:
Interesting! Looking forward to your impression. How is the AM05 compared to DM7, BR5? Also, is the MR3 good?

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #1,037 of 13,608
Im thinking about trying my luck with the Volt based on the positive responses ive seen so far. but can any owners chime in hopefully answer a few questions I have?
Which music genres/music types would you say the Volt excels at? Why?
Which music genres/music types would you say the Volt isn't very suitable for? Why not?
All opinions welcome. 😁
Thanks.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,038 of 13,608
Interesting! Looking forward to your impression. How is the AM05 compared to DM7, BR5? Also, is the MR3 good?
AM05 is a very very very transparent and bright (but not overly bright and qualitative treble) signature but not fatiguing at all, very polished detailed treble region smooth and sweet vocals BUT lacks in bass IMPACT (linear bass) in comparison with all the others already mentioned above, it's also neutral, reference sounding, flat across the FR spectrum, but more transparent and lush in vocals compared to the ORBS, also it is the widest in Soundstage almost equal wide with the Teas. Linear and wide
Also BR5 is linear and wide with classic BA bass
TSMR 3pro is extremely bright nearly inaudible to my ears fatiguing for long listenings sessions with light bass response and very thin signature overall
The most organic and natural sounding is the DM7 between the aforementioned iems
DM7 is a very good earphone very balanced with no offensive picks in sensitive areas of the FR, polite treble with very good and satisfying width and depth and very close to BCVP's biggest hit DM6
I used to have BR5 MKII (BR5 is no longer available from ROSE Technologies, MK II is the later available now version) and it is the closest in spaciousness to the Teas with bright tonality and very spacious feeling full of air flowing everywhere there..
I wouldn't choose the TSMR-3 PRO if I where you (overly light and bright)
DM7 is a solid choose quite satisfying across the FR spectrum
And AM05 is an impressive quality iem too but very "audiophilish approach" I would call it a monitoring type iem (not analytical or cold signature) with the most adorable vocals ever.... More emotional even than penon Orb.....
I have posted a review regarding AM05 (just to take an idea how much I appreciate it...)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-am05.24144/reviews
To summarize everything and be of a help here (always IMO.......)
if i had to keep just one IEM from all the mentioned above it would be Mangird Tea easily......
if i had to keep 2.....those would be the Teas and ISN H40....
If you are thinking of buying something really soon go with the Teas with eyes closed...........

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,039 of 13,608
AM05 is very very transparent and bright signature but not fatigue at all, very polished detailed treble region smooth and sweet vocals BUT lacks in bass IMPACT in comparison with all the others already mentioned above, it's also neutral, reference sounding, flat across the FR spectrum, but more transparent and lush in vocals compared to the ORBS, also it is the widest in Soundstage almost equal wide with the Teas. Linear and wide
Also BR5 is linear and wide with classic BA bass
TSMR 3pro is extremely bright nearly inaudible to my ears fatiguing for long listenings sessions with light bass response
The most organic and natural sounding is the DM7 between the aforementioned iems
DM7 is a very good earphone very balanced with no offensive picks in sensitive areas of the FR, polite treble with very good and satisfying width and depth and very close to BCVP's biggest hit DM6
I used to have BR5 MKII (BR5 is no longer available from ROSE Technologies, MK II is the later available now version) and it is the closest in spaciousness to the Teas with bright tonality and very spacious feeling full of air flowing everywhere there..
I wouldn't choose the TSMR-3 PRO if I where you (overly light and bright)
DM7 is a solid choose quite satisfying across the FR spectrum
And AM05 is an impressive quality iem too but very "audiophilish approach" I would call it a monitoring type iem (not analytical or cold signature) with the most adorable vocals ever.... More emotional even than penon Orb.....
Man, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a detailed comparison. Really helped me! You see, I had some cash to spare, I have the FIBAE 3, which is warmish bright iem, with moderate subbass extension but not much impact and midbass slam. I was looking for a slightly more bassy all BA iem. I have some used iems available here, T800, S6Rui, and DM7. So was confused which to take, did not want to sacrifice air and separation for bass...

But anyway, my focus has turned to TOTL suddenly, so will pass these for now.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,040 of 13,608
if i had to keep just one IEM from all the mentioned above it would be Mangird Tea easily......
if i had to keep 2.....those would be the Teas and ISN H40....
If you are thinking of buying something really soon go with the Teas with eyes closed...........
Hi @alexandros a, thanks for your impressions. Would you care to compare ISN H40 with the Mangird tea? I do love how the H40 sounds, but reading your post now I am very intrigued by the Teas; and 300$ don´t seem too out of reach for me, if they provide some improvement over the H40. I am particularly interested in how the compare in soundstage and instrument separation.
TIA; Jose

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #1,041 of 13,608
My take on the Penon Orb. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

photo_2020-10-30_13-34-13.jpg

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,042 of 13,608
Hi @alexandros a, thanks for your impressions. Would you care to compare ISN H40 with the Mangird tea? I do love how the H40 sounds, but reading your post now I am very intrigued by the Teas; and 300$ don´t seem too out of reach for me, if they provide some improvement over the H40. I am particularly interested in how the compare in soundstage and instrument separation.
TIA; Jose
Dear friend, i would say its a matter of personal preference more than an improvement in this case
This coming from a guy who really LOVES H40's tuning (so please take this under consideration),and to my ears at least those two represent two absolutely different signatures
The biggest difference there is the air flowing between instruments and the depth of the soundstage resulting in a more holographic scene presentation
As i have mentioned many times through my posts H40 sounds to me like getting 2 3-way floor speakers in my ear canals,thick, bold, dynamic presentation,but not in the cost of transparency in the mids though.
The Teas are clearly sub bass focused (great slam ,articulate bass but not thick sounded)
Bass here does not dominate the scene,though mid bass has great kick and slam,it does not feel so impactfull as H40 does
The amount of air reintered on the Teas is huge in comparison to H40 providing this way a more spacious feeling
In that feeling helps a lot the superb instrument separation there,that can be noticed immediately from the first note.
Also anoticeable difference there is the amount of energy in the upper treble region and the insane detail retrieval of the Mangird Tea on the treble area in comparison with H40s treble capabilities
In both of these iems treble is polite,polished,buttery smooth,of higher quality.BUT the detail retrieval goes (eyes closed) to the Teas
Overall, if you like more thick,compact, intimate sound stay with H40 which is just amazing in this kind of reproduction
If you are fond of a much more airy, less weighty,reference like(whith vocals absolutely to die for) liquid and spacious music representation get the Teas,at this price range its certainly the ABSOLUTE BEST CHOISE (imo always)................:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile_cat::smiley_cat:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,043 of 13,608
In both of these iems treble is polite,polished,buttery smooth,of higher quality.BUT the detail retrieval goes (eyes closed) to the Teas
Overall, if you like more thick,compact, intimate sound stay with H40 which is just amazing in this kind of reproduction
If you are fond of a much more airy, less weighty,reference like(whith vocals absolutely to die for) liquid and spacious music representation get the Teas,at this price range its certainly the ABSOLUTE BEST CHOISE (imo always)................:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile_cat::smiley_cat:
Wow, fantastic comparison. you have helped me a lot on having an idea of what to expect from the Teas. very tempting indeed.
Regarding fit and comfort, how big is the tea´s shell size in comparison with the H40? the latter is on the limit on shell size that fits me
thanks again. Much appreciate your time and effort.
cheers, Jose

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,044 of 13,608
Dear friend, i would say its a matter of personal preference more than an improvement in this case
This coming from a guy who really LOVES H40's tuning (so please take this under consideration),and to my ears at least those two represent two absolutely different signatures
The biggest difference there is the air flowing between instruments and the depth of the soundstage resulting in a more holographic scene presentation
As i have mentioned many times through my posts H40 sounds to me like getting 2 3-way floor speakers in my ear canals,thick, bold, dynamic presentation,but not in the cost of transparency in the mids though.
The Teas are clearly sub bass focused (great slam ,articulate bass but not thick sounded)
Bass here does not dominate the scene,though mid bass has great kick and slam,it does not feel so impactfull as H40 does
The amount of air reintered on the Teas is huge in comparison to H40 providing this way a more spacious feeling
In that feeling helps a lot the superb instrument separation there,that can be noticed immediately from the first note.
Also anoticeable difference there is the amount of energy in the upper treble region and the insane detail retrieval of the Mangird Tea on the treble area in comparison with H40s treble capabilities
As you said h40 has a thick sounding presentation ( which i like) so the teas are thin sounding iem or these not as thick as h40 ,
I am searching for a slightly thicker and warm iem but the rest of everything should be same as Teas ,

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,045 of 13,608
As you said h40 has a thick sounding presentation ( which i like) so the teas are thin sounding iem or these not as thick as h40 ,
I am searching for a slightly thicker and warm iem but the rest of everything should be same as Teas ,
You can't have best of everything. With the introduction of thickness air will start reducing.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,048 of 13,608
I wouldn’t say the Tea is thin sounding. The midrange is still full sounding, but I’m sure it’s not as thick and lush sounding as the ISN H40 (or D02). If you add a 20 Ohm impedance adapters, the bass increases and it sounds thicker.

If you have more questions on the Tea, feel free to ask here please, to keep this thread on topic.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mangird-impressions-thread.934129/post-15943845

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #1,049 of 13,608

Users who are viewing this thread

Back