The PENON official thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 13,539
It is close but not as detailed. The S8 has a more clinical performance while the Orb provides a more fatigue-free listen.
Thanks. I vastly prefer the later, but like a bit on the technicalities side. I guess probably a better/fairer comparison would be with something like the Etymotic ER4. I don’t know exactly why, but I really like the looks of the Orb. Resin filled, and simple. None of my favorite IEMs thus far have more than 4 drivers.

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 13,539
@audio123 I recall you have D10, is the size of Orb close to D10? Bigger or smaller?
D10 is a little bit smaller.

photo_2020-06-11_00-00-46.jpg
Thanks. I vastly prefer the later, but like a bit on the technicalities side. I guess probably a better/fairer comparison would be with something like the Etymotic ER4. I don’t know exactly why, but I really like the looks of the Orb. Resin filled, and simple. None of my favorite IEMs thus far have more than 4 drivers.
Yea it really depends on individual sound preference. The Orb has resin shells but not filled with resin. For me, driver config is one thing but most important is the sound. 2 of my favourite flagship IEMs sport a single DD only so yea. The Orb presents the less is more concept very well.

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #18 of 13,539
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 13,539
Is the bass better on The Orb vs. D10?

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #21 of 13,539
D10 has more sub bass quantity than the Orb but Orb imo has the better quality bass in general. Quality is absolutely superb actually. Some guys on the ISN thread didnt like how pronounced the sub bass was on the D10. Subbass dont stand out as much on the Orb. It does have some excellent subbass though.

I can tell the dynamic being used on the Orb is a higher end of dynamic. Bass end does remind me of my JVC wood dome dynamics which are known for their bass. My FX850 to be exact.,

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 13,539
Well I didn't find the H40 quite to my liking but it sounds as if the Orb might be a little smoother and "mature" in tone. I emailed Penon about a balanced cable but it only comes in 3.5mm +/- mic. Never mind. I can always chop the end off and put a 4.4.mm jack on it.

I have a discount code and I'm pulling the trigger!

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #23 of 13,539
So I spent a good 3 hours last night experimenting with tips and cables. I will post more findings as I go along. It turns out the Orb is very tip dependent. Minor tunings can be achievable with tip changes. I believe with the retail version there will be 2 sets of silicones. Both have what I consider a medium wide nozzle opening. Something like the Spiral dots and Senda fit tips would be a wide openings. Longer and shorter silicone stemmed tips affect the sound as well.

Infact it was Penon that tipped me on the tips. I threw on the Sendafit tips on the Orb on open listen not thinking about optimized tips. I have 2 nights of burn in and now I have a better handle of the sonic quality of the Orb.

Bass is fantastic on this set. Bass fans are gonna love the Orb. Bass quality is outstanding. How tips comes into play is the stock tips do optimize sound. One set of tips is identical to Symbio W tips. Identical shape and even material with the same sized opening I believe it is 3.5mm. In any case. Depending on the longer tip vs shorter stemmed tip. It changes how much forwardness you like for your mids and bass. The SymbioW knock offs give a slightly more V shaped signature for a more fun take the shorter stemmed version balances the sound as it brings mids more forward slightly lessens the bass.

Then I threw on my moondrop foams on there and I headed to basshead territory. Long story short. For my personal taste I like 3 sets of tips on these. UE tips the ones that comes on the old T10, Symbio Ws and what I got on them now. Good old spiral dots.

Spiral dots while doesnt have the best bass presenation. Actually elevates the treble end a bit for me and that is what I felt was laging a bit behind to the mids and bass. The difference in Spiral dots and Sendafit is that Sendafit sits longer on the nozzle of the Orb recessing the mid bands. Spiral dots is shorter bringing the mids more forward..

Of course this is subject to changes after some cable rolling. But for now. After trying a large can of tips. I ended up with the tip I rely on the most. included tips works great by the way..

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #24 of 13,539
I know the Penon Speres have not caught on fire on the threads but I feel they are more than worthy of attention. Here are some reviews of them including my own. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-sphere.24054/reviews.. Twister did one as well on his site.

Reason why I was looking forward with so much anticipation of the Orbs was because of the masterful tuning Penon did with a single BA. and on my review I mention how I wanted the bass end to have dynamic qualities.

Here is where the Orb comes into the picture. Penon didnt just add a garden variety dynamic they included a nice higher end dynamic. I can tell by the sheer quality of the bass presentation. It is something to behold.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 13,539
Okay, Orb and Sphere. What's next? Globe, Marble, Cannonball?? :bomb:

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #26 of 13,539
Okay, Orb and Sphere. What's next? Globe, Marble, Cannonball?? :bomb:
I like the names. Much better than the Penon 1RX-Z and the 5XXXXS

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #27 of 13,539
I like it. Just givin' ideas in case they are stumped. Don't forget Bead and Pearl. Have to stick to the round theme.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #28 of 13,539
I like it. Just givin' ideas in case they are stumped. Don't forget Bead and Pearl. Have to stick to the round theme.
I like Globe.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #29 of 13,539
I think it might have to do with their tuning philosophy. A round tuning meaning complete. I saw an interesting early prototype housing design for the Orb.. All clear of course but the back of the housing was circular shaped. Which in the end they scrapped. I am glad they went with a more traditional universal design on this one. Love the comfort of these things.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #30 of 13,539
So I spent a good 3 hours last night experimenting with tips and cables. I will post more findings as I go along. It turns out the Orb is very tip dependent. Minor tunings can be achievable with tip changes. I believe with the retail version there will be 2 sets of silicones. Both have what I consider a medium wide nozzle opening. Something like the Spiral dots and Senda fit tips would be a wide openings. Longer and shorter silicone stemmed tips affect the sound as well.

Infact it was Penon that tipped me on the tips. I threw on the Sendafit tips on the Orb on open listen not thinking about optimized tips. I have 2 nights of burn in and now I have a better handle of the sonic quality of the Orb.

Bass is fantastic on this set. Bass fans are gonna love the Orb. Bass quality is outstanding. How tips comes into play is the stock tips do optimize sound. One set of tips is identical to Symbio W tips. Identical shape and even material with the same sized opening I believe it is 3.5mm. In any case. Depending on the longer tip vs shorter stemmed tip. It changes how much forwardness you like for your mids and bass. The SymbioW knock offs give a slightly more V shaped signature for a more fun take the shorter stemmed version balances the sound as it brings mids more forward slightly lessens the bass.

Then I threw on my moondrop foams on there and I headed to basshead territory. Long story short. For my personal taste I like 3 sets of tips on these. UE tips the ones that comes on the old T10, Symbio Ws and what I got on them now. Good old spiral dots.

Spiral dots while doesnt have the best bass presenation. Actually elevates the treble end a bit for me and that is what I felt was laging a bit behind to the mids and bass. The difference in Spiral dots and Sendafit is that Sendafit sits longer on the nozzle of the Orb recessing the mid bands. Spiral dots is shorter bringing the mids more forward..

Of course this is subject to changes after some cable rolling. But for now. After trying a large can of tips. I ended up with the tip I rely on the most. included tips works great by the way..
Yea, the bass on the Orb is superb and packs a punch. I have been using the blue stocks tips only. Will test with other tips and cables soon. As much as I enjoy the bass, I feel the midrange and treble are no slouch too. Clear vocals with good body & the treble is crisp and sparkly. A very all-rounder display from the Orb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back