The PENON official thread
Jul 30, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #451 of 13,343
Orbs sound very similar to the starfields. Very similar. Really like them apart from the lack of air in the highs. Could really do with a bit more extension

So I encourage for Orb owners to give these cables a try. It doesn't cost much and best of all you can get them in balanced if you have a source that use balanced. In 2 pin obviously
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166709135.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.30.2bcf7854fj5sjG

I did some serious cable rolling on the Orbs and these cables are a bang for buck if there ever was one. Even for guys that already feel they got a good cable on the Orb. Seriously try this cable.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #452 of 13,343
So I encourage for Orb owners to give these cables a try. It doesn't cost much and best of all you can get them in balanced if you have a source that use balanced. In 2 pin obviously
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166709135.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.30.2bcf7854fj5sjG

I did some serious cable rolling on the Orbs and these cables are a bang for buck if there ever was one. Even for guys that already feel they got a good cable on the Orb. Seriously try this cable.
I also got this cable for the orb, can confirm that the treble sounds clearer and more emphasized. Added bonus is it looks pretty good and is soft and light, good for portable use.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #453 of 13,343

I use this cable on Tanchjim HANA and love it.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #454 of 13,343
Silver cables bring out that treble. This cable is awesome on the Orb. It seems to me your slowly converting to a cable believer there @tgx78. Dont know if you tried that cable on the Orbs yet but it is a perfect match for them. Better than much more expensive cables I own.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #455 of 13,343

Will do. The treble roll off is real. Makes the highs sound grainy. Definitely will try them out 🙏

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #456 of 13,343
I know for some it may sound far fetched that a cable can change how we perceive sound tuning but that cable in conjunction with a proper tip and the Orbs are not lacking in any part of the sonics at all. Not to mention it gives some proper spacing and added detail using silver. The treble end has always been there. What these silver cables do is they tighten the bass end which gives more focus to the treble end and lets the treble to shine. The Orbs has such great mids and bass presence from the get go silver does not seem to affect these regions much but you will certainly hear better treble presence. The great thing is it doesn't cost that much to find out. I look at this silver cable being only $20 or so as a necessity when your getting the Orbs. Some will prefer the stock full warm sound profile but once you get that treble shimmer on the Orbs. It is difficult to use anything else. Brings the sonic quality of the Orbs into another level imo.

My NiceHCK silver cable was a review sample I will post about soon and it came in mmcx. First earphone I attached it to using a 2 pin adapter was the Orbs. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The cores are thin but you better believe it is real silver. I had several much more expensive cables on the Orbs and these $20 cables synergizes even better.

Thicker cored silver adds a bit of fullness to the sonics. As you guys already know Orbs don't need any more thickness than it already has. I had another thinner silver cable I was using prior to the NiceHCK silver cables. It has the best sounding of all the silver cables I was using then came these cables. Again something this cheap working just like a cable 6X the price. Believe me I went back n forth 4 times in a row connecting and reconnecting various cables. Higher end silver cables sounds the best but not by the price margin you would expect. In fact much more closer in effect that you would imagine.

Try the included longer stemmed silicone tips. It does a good job balancing out the sound. Add this silver cable and the Orbs are ready to take off. Sound becomes much more balanced overall. That cable is worth getting a few sets actually. I plan on getting another just to use on the Orbs.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #457 of 13,343
I know for some it may sound far fetched that a cable can change how we perceive sound tuning but that cable in conjunction with a proper tip and the Orbs are not lacking in any part of the sonics at all. Not to mention it gives some proper spacing and added detail using silver. The treble end has always been there. What these silver cables do is they tighten the bass end which gives more focus to the treble end and lets the treble to shine. The Orbs has such great mids and bass presence from the get go silver does not seem to affect these regions much but you will certainly hear better treble presence. The great thing is it doesn't cost that much to find out. I look at this silver cable being only $20 or so as a necessity when your getting the Orbs. Some will prefer the stock full warm sound profile but once you get that treble shimmer on the Orbs. It is difficult to use anything else. Brings the sonic quality of the Orbs into another level imo.

My NiceHCK silver cable was a review sample I will post about soon and it came in mmcx. First earphone I attached it to using a 2 pin adapter was the Orbs. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The cores are thin but you better believe it is real silver. I had several much more expensive cables on the Orbs and these $20 cables synergizes even better.

Thicker cored silver adds a bit of fullness to the sonics. As you guys already know Orbs don't need any more thickness than it already has. I had another thinner silver cable I was using prior to the NiceHCK silver cables. It has the best sounding of all the silver cables I was using then came these cables. Again something this cheap working just like a cable 6X the price. Believe me I went back n forth 4 times in a row connecting and reconnecting various cables. Higher end silver cables sounds the best but not by the price margin you would expect. In fact much more closer in effect that you would imagine.

Try the included longer stemmed silicone tips. It does a good job balancing out the sound. Add this silver cable and the Orbs are ready to take off. Sound becomes much more balanced overall. That cable is worth getting a few sets actually. I plan on getting another just to use on the Orbs.
Does Ali express deliver to the UK. Not sure if they do?

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #458 of 13,343
We lost a good buddy here at headfi. @HungryPanda Miss this guy. He lived in England and was a frequent buyer from the UK. Jim at NiceHCK was devastated as the rest of us here in the community to find out he passed away from Covid-19 complications.

He actually got items much faster from NiceHCK than I ever could in the US. No problems getting items from NiceHCK.

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #459 of 13,343
Don't forget the source. The Orb scales well, IMO. I'm using a Sony ZX300 and my impression of its sound is that there's warmth, not by much, and kind of balanced overall. I was surprised when a custom firmware was recently made. It literally transformed the DAP into another level. People used to say they hear subtle differences among different firmware updates. Honestly, I barely hear anything most of the time. But for that custom firmware, the synergy of the Orb and ZX300 became so much better. The sound is now airy. Soundstage, instrument separation, layering, imaging, all of them improved. It is just the first version of the custom firmware, and the modder said he's working on another one. These custom firmwares are also available for WM1 series DAPs of Sony.

I enjoy the pairing much better now, to the point that I feel I won't be needing a silver cable anytime soon. Though I'm still considering of getting one.

So, aside from the cables and tips selection, you might want to pair the Orb with a better source which can help bring out the treble more.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #460 of 13,343
1596439905211.png

Looks like Penon has a new product on their cable line up. They claim it as world's first graphene incorporated cable. Not sure what the price is though.

Penon OSG
  • Type-4 Litz configuration
  • Material: High purity single crystal copper silver-plated wire mixed with graphene
  • Number of cores: 4 strands, single strand is 71 cores
  • Sheath: environmental protection transparent PVC
  • Configuration: Carbon fiber metal splitter and slider,The solder joint is silver–contained tin
  • Plug: Rhodium-plated plug
  • Cable length: 1.2M
@Dsnuts you got any other info on this one?

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #461 of 13,343
Will be getting a set for review. Will let folks know how it is. Interesting material they are using. Never thought graphene could be used in a cable. Must have been difficult to make.

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #462 of 13,343
IMG_20200730_170322.jpg
The Best seal ever.
Significantly the signature changed to a really neutral set.
Staging is a lot bigger (width x height) and surprisingly deeper...

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #463 of 13,343
IMG_20200803_180935.jpg
1596466060045.png

w/ Penon Neo. Trebles are more "audible", apparent and fantastic extension, nuance. "Come home"
It stays in the air longer...

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #464 of 13,343
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #465 of 13,343
1596470353121.png

"Porcelain", "Everloving"
Started cable break - in, 100 hrs. as recommended...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back