Pen Spinning. (woo)
Mar 27, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 33
It's so hard! I've been practicing for over two years now but I've gotten nowhere. My favorite video is one that can be found on Google Videos:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09970693038984

Being Asian doesn't help much.
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 33
I've made up my own combo.

The writing end is pointing towards my thumb, while i'm holding the part you normally write with, (about a finger width from the slope part) between my ring and middle finger.

Then i half spin it upto my index and middle finger now changing directions.

Do a typical spin.

It ends up going around my thumb before the spin ends.

Catch it as I was going to write something, then use my middle finger to rotate it back to the intial position.

Its pretty messed up, it looks awesome though.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #20 of 33
I used to pen spin in high school, and in college, there was just nothing to do while you were listening to lectures. I think a lot of people do it as a kind of reflex, I don't think anyone is really conscious that they are doing it, nor pay it much mention. Kinda like biting and chewing pencils/erasers. I do have to admit though, that the majority of people that I see doing it are Asian. Vietnamese to be exact, and I'm Vietnamese myself... so yeah...
biggrin.gif

Anywho, I came across the pentrix board from someone who posted a link on the "other boards worth" thread. Ahh... to spin like a Japanese or Korean pro would be a dream...
eek.gif

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #21 of 33
Veniogenesis ..thank you so much for that video..

I though I was hot $%^& because I could do the thumbaround until I saw someone doing the thumbaround-reverse thumbaround combo.

Now with that video..those guys are my gods

Quote:

i remember the debate team kids used to do it, maybe i picked it up from them?

exactly! That's were I learned it like 10 years ago in high school!

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #23 of 33
Holy crap that video....

Darn Koreans. And you thought they were only good at Starcraft.
biggrin.gif

I play around with my pen as well... but not hardly at the proficiency of those crazy fellas. Impressive finger work there.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #24 of 33
If you liked that, you should try checking out the way the Japanese spin as well, I think that they are way different at spinning pens. They use longer pens as well, so the effect is exaggerated. There's this guy called "Aysh" who's just phenomenal, the guy can spin like holy hell with a freakin' Dr. Grip!
eek.gif

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #25 of 33
Oh I haven't been on in a while so I missed this thread. I have been doing pen spinning for a 3 years about I think. I can do

Thumb around normal and reverse
and in infinite combination-half taps
I can do sonic 1-2 and 2-3 and I can combo those. I can also reverse sonic 3-2 and 2-3 if I am lucky. Those are pretty much my standard moves I just do during class without even realizng it.

I need to learn Infinity and inverse sonic so I can nail some sweet sonic combos. If I would just get on the ball with those tricks I could tear it up

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Oh I haven't been on in a while so I missed this thread. I have been doing pen spinning for a 3 years about I think. I can do

Thumb around normal and reverse
and in infinite combination-half taps
I can do sonic 1-2 and 2-3 and I can combo those. I can also reverse sonic 3-2 and 2-3 if I am lucky. Those are pretty much my standard moves I just do during class without even realizng it.

I need to learn Infinity and inverse sonic so I can nail some sweet sonic combos. If I would just get on the ball with those tricks I could tear it up

How do you do sonic well? I have been trying (when i'm listening attentively to my teachers, of course) but just cant seem to do it well. My failure rate is like 7/10. And after a while my fingers start to kinda hurt...
frown.gif
Anyone else get any pen spinning related injuries?
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 33
Trust me being Asian has nothing to do with it. I spent 1/2 hour last night and I still can't get the thumbaround... grrrrrrr......
mad.gif
Is this because I don't have a degree in engineering?
confused.gif

But I'm not giving up, if I can master this it will be my cheapest hobby.
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #28 of 33
Yami: Although it is the least flashy of the four basic moves in pen spinning, the thumbaround is actually the most deceptive in learning curve. I think the other moves are a lot easier to pick up. The thumbaround has a high chance of you dropping the pen, so it's extremely frustrating. You have to hold the pen in the same position each time, with your thumb and index finger to the right of the center of the pen's gravity. You also have to give a light push with your middle finger while moving your index finger away from your palm, else the pen careens out of control, curves off your index finger and flies across the room instead of snapping into the groove between your middle and index. It should take at least a week of solid practice to perform with good success rate.

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #29 of 33
Anyone else think that the names for the tricks are really geeky sounding? Sonic?

These guys have way too much time on their hands. Which was why I did it in high school. I think I drove my teachers crazy cuz I kept dropping my pen.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 33
Lol, I'm just picturing the type of guy in an office who's all proud of the "techniques" he's mastered. Students are another issue entirely, but a guy in a cubicle showing off his moves just brings the loathing up from my innards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back