Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,596 of 2,800

My Gonzodized Ti2 Techliner finally arrived... with hefty custom charges... The Gonzodized is really fantastic looking , loving the blue with a hint of gold.

I try to get some picture later, too busy playing around with the magnets. lol.

Neat, yeah I ended up ordreing a short version in that finish. :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,597 of 2,800
  Yep, could be lots of things going on with it.  In general, you don't need much pressure at all when writing with a FP.

The great thing about the Lamy nibs is that you can just pick up a couple (if you can afford the $13) and swap them around.  I'd say, pick up another nib (maybe try the F) and see if it writes the same way.  Now that you have a backup nib, try spreading the tines a bit on the other one (youtube it) to make it a little wetter.  It you screw it up, you're only out $13.

Even on the Lamy 2000?

I'll take it to a local pen shop soon and see what they think....

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,598 of 2,800

Even on the Lamy 2000?

I'll take it to a local pen shop soon and see what they think....

Whoops, the Lamy 2000's use a different nib design, missed that in your initial post, sorry about that.  All the other Lamy pens (Safari, Al-Star, Studio, CP1, etc.) use the swappable SS nibs.  Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the 2000 14k nib.

Let us know how you make out!

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,599 of 2,800
  Whoops, the Lamy 2000's use a different nib design, missed that in your initial post, sorry about that.  All the other Lamy pens (Safari, Al-Star, Studio, CP1, etc.) use the swappable SS nibs.  Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the 2000 14k nib.

Let us know how you make out!

So went in to a pen shop in the city today and asked them to check out my pen. They said it was a little scratchy, but that's just the way EF nibs are, however it should get better with use. They cleaned it for me and recommended I wear it in a bit. 

Hopefully it gets better. As of now I find it a little too awkward to bother writing anything with.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2,600 of 2,800
  So went in to a pen shop in the city today and asked them to check out my pen. They said it was a little scratchy, but that's just the way EF nibs are, however it should get better with use. They cleaned it for me and recommended I wear it in a bit. 

Hopefully it gets better. As of now I find it a little too awkward to bother writing anything with.

Hmm, they don't sound exactly helpful.  It's true that EF nibs by nature give a little more feedback than larger ones, but they should still be usable.

You could always try getting in contact with Lamy directly.  If the pen is less than 2 years old it should still be covered under warranty.  I've never dealt with them directly, but they do have a US branch, so worth contacting them to see what they say.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,601 of 2,800
As someone who has spent a large amount of time adjusting EF nibs for school use, get a bit of mylar paper or micro mesh, and smooth the tip A BIT, maybe 3-4 circles clockwise and counter clockwise at a normal writing pressure, it helps to tune the scratchiness down just a bit, to make it more comfortable to write. But do keep in mind EF nibs simply are scratchy, nothing much to helps that, my professionally tuned and ground EF from John Mottishaw is still scratchy, but that's just how they work. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,602 of 2,800
  As someone who has spent a large amount of time adjusting EF nibs for school use, get a bit of mylar paper or micro mesh, and smooth the tip A BIT, maybe 3-4 circles clockwise and counter clockwise at a normal writing pressure, it helps to tune the scratchiness down just a bit, to make it more comfortable to write. But do keep in mind EF nibs simply are scratchy, nothing much to helps that, my professionally tuned and ground EF from John Mottishaw is still scratchy, but that's just how they work. 

I see. I might give that a crack! Cheers.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,603 of 2,800
  Hmm, they don't sound exactly helpful.  It's true that EF nibs by nature give a little more feedback than larger ones, but they should still be usable.

You could always try getting in contact with Lamy directly.  If the pen is less than 2 years old it should still be covered under warranty.  I've never dealt with them directly, but they do have a US branch, so worth contacting them to see what they say.

I don't think I'll be able to get it covered under warranty because there's nothing actually wrong with it?

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2,604 of 2,800
My fine Pilot Vanishing Point just came in and I have to say it is wonderful. It's both finer and much nicer to write with than my Lamy 2000. It's not quite as beautiful. but it feels great in the hand.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,605 of 2,800
Just opened up my Pilot Metropolitan pen (fixed medium point). It writes a lot smoother than the Lamy Safari Extra Fine and 1.1 Calligraphy, but it also writes larger.

I still prefer the Lamy because I tend to take my time writing words compared to the Pilot, which spews out a little too much ink for my slow-writing preferences.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #2,606 of 2,800
My fine Pilot Vanishing Point just came in and I have to say it is wonderful. It's both finer and much nicer to write with than my Lamy 2000. It's not quite as beautiful. but it feels great in the hand.

More reason to hunt for the yearly limited editions and Namiki raidens?

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,607 of 2,800
Hi all, I'm usually over at The Canon Thread but I noticed you have this Pen-Fi thread going on as well... so I thought I'd pop in and show my most recent acquisition:

Apologies for the nasty finger prints though, it was just a test shot after I had acquired a new lens.

Since my school days I've been more of a Parker person myself, but I got this instead because I was hunting around for a fine tip pen but all the local stores only had M tip (I was looking for a Parker Sonnet), so this is my first Faber Castell.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,608 of 2,800
  Hi all, I'm usually over at The Canon Thread but I noticed you have this Pen-Fi thread going on as well... so I thought I'd pop in and show my most recent acquisition:

Apologies for the nasty finger prints though, it was just a test shot after I had acquired a new lens.

Since my school days I've been more of a Parker person myself, but I got this instead because I was hunting around for a fine tip pen but all the local stores only had M tip (I was looking for a Parker Sonnet), so this is my first Faber Castell.

Very nice!  Let us know how it writes.  My Faber Castell has a silky smooth nib, so hope yours works out as well!

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2,609 of 2,800
Just opened up my Pilot Metropolitan pen (fixed medium point). It writes a lot smoother than the Lamy Safari Extra Fine and 1.1 Calligraphy, but it also writes larger.

I still prefer the Lamy because I tend to take my time writing words compared to the Pilot, which spews out a little too much ink for my slow-writing preferences.

You can always push the tines together a little to reduce the flow.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,610 of 2,800
  Very nice!  Let us know how it writes.  My Faber Castell has a silky smooth nib, so hope yours works out as well!

It writes very smoothly, though is quite heavy on ink that bleed through sometimes becomes a problem depending on paper quality.

I also haven't figured out how to properly drain and clean this pen yet; the whole nib assembly does not come out when I pull it like my Parker pens do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back