Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2,416 of 2,803
Okay, thanks to this thread I just went a little crazy, but it only cost me $13. I bought one of each:

Pentel Slicci Gel 0.3 mm - Black
Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica Gel 0.4 mm - Blue Black
Uni-ball Signo UM-153 Gel 1.0mm - Black
Uni-ball Signo UM-151 Gel 0.5 mm - Brown Black
Uni-ball Signo UM-151 Gel 0.38 mm - Black

biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2,417 of 2,803
I just got a bottle of Noodler's Ink in blue; I like its colour a lot. It has more of a sky-blue kind of look compared to the stock Lamy's more purple. My "purple" ink isn't completely out though, so I'll have to wait a few more days for it to run dry and use the converter for the new ink.

The test above was just dipping the tip into the ink well without the stock ink cartridge in place; I tried to suck out as much ink as I could from the pen before testing the new ink.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,418 of 2,803
I love blue ink.  From top to bottom, I think Private Reserve makes the best.  Lake Placid Blue, Midnight Blue, DC Supershow, Ebony Blue, American Blue.  They're all fantastic.  But they all behave like modern super saturated inks and take a while to dry and can feather on bad paper.  Visconti Blue is probably my most used ink as it behaves well with good dry time but still has a great deep saturated color.  Waterman Florida Blue (or whatever it's called now) is still the best "vintage" blue to me.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,419 of 2,803
  I love blue ink.  From top to bottom, I think Private Reserve makes the best.  Lake Placid Blue, Midnight Blue, DC Supershow, Ebony Blue, American Blue.  They're all fantastic.  But they all behave like modern super saturated inks and take a while to dry and can feather on bad paper.  Visconti Blue is probably my most used ink as it behaves well with good dry time but still has a great deep saturated color.  Waterman Florida Blue (or whatever it's called now) is still the best "vintage" blue to me.

I don't know much about inks, but what I do know is that Private Reserve does indeed dry slowly and can feather, like you say. The only bottle of ink I have is the "fast drying" ultra black Private Reserve and it has been a mess for me. Can't say that I was using a good FP or the right storing techniques to avoid such an experience though.

As for blue ink, I'm looking forward to the Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica's blue black ink.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,420 of 2,803
Yeah, Private Reserve is definitely a "pleasure" ink rather than a "business" ink.  Visconti Blue, Aurora Blue (too purple for me), or Waterman Florida Blue are all better for getting work done.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2,422 of 2,803
The thing with fountain pens is you have to be conscious of not only your pen and nib but also the ink and paper you use and combinations thereof.

It is only in our time that we have the luxury to choose from multiple types of papers and inks.
In the days when FPs were used daily (my childhood for instance) there wasn't a lot to explore. Writing in multiple notebooks daily meant that I just bought a reasonably good notebook, average by any standards today.

About nib and inks, well, they generally used to smoothen out after a few weeks of writing.

Now that we have so many inks and papers we don't have enough users. What an irony.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #2,423 of 2,803
144 esterbrook nibs for $30. Lets see if it turns out to be a good purchase or not.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,426 of 2,803
[…] and the colour isn't uniform when writing. >.>

While I definitely understand this being seen as a negative, this 'shading' aspect is often regarded as a huge plus in the FP community. A lot of inks are going to shoot for this. 

Pelikan inks tend to run a bit dry, addressing your other concerns. 

And not all Noodler's inks are made equal. Dude has made an ink with… pretty much any combination of qualities imaginable… Don't let this one sour you!

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,428 of 2,803
[…] and the colour isn't uniform when writing. >.>

While I definitely understand this being seen as a negative, this 'shading' aspect is often regarded as a huge plus in the FP community. A lot of inks are going to shoot for this. 

Pelikan inks tend to run a bit dry, addressing your other concerns. 

And not all Noodler's inks are made equal. Dude has made an ink with… pretty much any combination of qualities imaginable… Don't let this one sour you!

Ah, is it? I like my lettering in one colour. XD

I'll keep that in mind though.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2,429 of 2,803
Need more pics.

My new Maruman Mnemosyne Today's Act notepad and pens arrived today
biggrin.gif

(not the best camera)

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #2,430 of 2,803
  waterman inks are also very well behaved :)

Well, I am using Waterman's "Havana Brown" ink: It is very smooth and of ritch colour but takes some time to dry...

Luckily I have a Lamy AL-Star (broad nib) in coffee brown finish what makes a great match to the ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back