Peerless/Bang & Olufsen
Oct 18, 2002 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dave Blitzamania

New Head-Fier
Hi . I have been quite successfully using my old Bang & Olufsen 901 Stereo/Hi Fi (Anniversary model 1970's ..I think ) as my main power amp and monitors for my digital home recording studio.
Even though the speakers were obviously not designed as recording monitors , they have done a remarkably good job.
Yesterday one of the woofers "died ". I would very much like to purchase two new woofers but realise that it might be hard trying to find the exact same speaker to match given its age. I can get the speaker model if you need it. Might anyone have some suggests as to how I might purchase my much needed woofers. Or perhaps an equivalent Speaker that would do as good job as the ones I've been using. I'm told that Peerless were offiliated with bang & Olufsen in the 1970's.

cheers David.

Oct 27, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 22
You can try also www.partsexpress.com they have a huge inventory, ... contact the partexpress forum and ask Paul from Part Express is a very nice guy with tons of ideas and experience... others to consider:

MCM Electronics
Speaker City
Marchand Electronics
North Creek Music Systems

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks heaps Sovkiller. Actually, I've since found out some interesting news re these speakers. They were made originally by Phillips in a special factory in Belgium. I have since decided to have the speaker re-wired / coned but I will most definately do as you helpfully suggest.As Albert says in your sig. : "whatever you do , don't stop questioning. " ...damn right !

cheers Dav.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 22
If you decided to go for the recone, there are some guys on the web that could do the job for you, but I will give you an advice, sometimes the speaker manufacturers does not use the optimum drivers for their projects, (box size and crossover points, power requirements, etc......) why? simply the good guys are expensive for a mass project and most of the times a replacement if you know the impedance, size and the crossover point is the best way to go for a much better driver if you give me some of these parameters I could help you find a much better unit to replace the old one, unless yours are very good, and this replacement does not worth but I doubt that there was a lot of improvements made in these field since the 70's, pearless is a very nice manufacturer, along with seas, scan peak, dynaudio, vifa, morel, audix, and all are better than the phillips you have, but is up to you, replace them man, don't be bored
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!!! and you will never be sorry, at the end the recone is a repair and an option always there, most of these speaker sellers offer 45 days money back garantee so if you don't like it or the driver did not fit return it and try another, on the other side if you need speaker monitors, and they are pasive, I will suggest you the Alesis monitor one MKII, if you don't feel offended, and IMHO, I don't think these oldies could beat its sound quality and the price is around 200.00 very cheap for the quality they offer, I have a pair home without complains to the date....good luck with your project anyway!!!

Oct 28, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 22
Hi Sovkiller....your points and advice are DEFINATELY noted and I've saved this latest reply from you.
I guess my only reason for my leaning towards " my old sound"
is that a while ago I made the point of having a listen to how it compared to many other more expensive and recent Hi Fi's.
Sure enough, B&O must have been doing something right, because in many if not most comparisons it equalled, if not even bettered anything I heard. But maybe that's just "me."
Though in my work recording, these old B&O speakers have done just a brilliant job.
Being a full time muso, I have no funds for replacements etc., at the moment, but I WILL do as you suggest and enquire to the valuable contacts you've mentioned. I could well be bogged down
with my thinking and need to move on, and explore.

Sincerest thanks, Dav.

Oct 28, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 22
I agree with you and believe me to the date all what I have heard in HiFi stores really SUCKS, sometimes because the improper setting of the store operator or seller, and sometimes becasue they in fact sucks, even in very expensive electronic stores, that's what trying to get something better, I was doing this kind of short research around this pages...the result at the end was that I probably can make a pair of speakers or that really sounds impresive with some Vifas or so, but how about the finish or esthetics? I'm not a carpenter and have no tools or skills so it should be a sonic beauty but a beast esthetically, (the best thing I did as DIYer was a really nice subwoofer out of a shiva avatar 12" and an amplifier purchased from Apex Jr., really nice, but I used an old box from a RatShack 12" subwoofer, of course braced and prepared for that beast, but the end was really nice in sound and in look) I have to put these monitors in my living room so they should have a decent look, at least, so I moved to another direction, looking at the response curves of some of the best DIY monitors of the market and some of the studio pasive monitors already made, I can't find any noticeable difference, so I fist saw a pair of Tannoys, very nice look but not very nice the tag, then I began with a pair of Alesis Point Seven and "bingo" nice sound, later on moved to a Monitor one MKII (the first Monitor one just cut the curve in 16KHz, even that way won a lot of prices in their range, but for me not very nice, that's why I tryied first the little brother) then when they improve the range bingo I got the big brother, and believe me the studio monitor has a very flat and complete response and they are a lot more better design that the most of the Hi Fi, the result this little guys sounds like a Hi Fi speaker many times the price tag and the look in nice to me at least, if I have a lot more money I will go for the Dynaudios, take a look, NICE!!!!

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Def...103&AjrNwsPg=1

but short of cash like me an Alesis should do the job good enough....

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 22
Any info on the woofers themselves (part numbers were typically on the magnet plate)? I have an old Phillips catalog in my files and I can see if there is any info that might help. That company was making some very good drivers back then. I still have a set of their 8" woofers in some mini-towers that I built.

gerG

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 22
If you find the info I have all the catalogs of Madisound, Parts Express, MCM and about another ten more and I can find you the closest match if not the best for this oldies, usually drivers are as expensive as (or sometimes less) than a good repair.....Do they mount outside the box or inside the box, four holes or six, square or round etc....? and of course the parameters

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 22
Sovkiller, those Dynas are nice, but what is with that creepy logo at the top of the page? What happened to Knudesen, the quality control racoon?

I really like the Dynaudio drivers. Unfortunately Madisound does not carry them anymore. Any other sources out there? Vifa is getting damned good for the price, Focal is always great, and I love the sound of Morel tweeters! Peerless has a new subwoofer with matching passive radiator that I am anxious to try out. Have to wrap up some current projects before I can start another one. Oh yeah, the Eton drivers are amazing!

gerG

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 22
Greg:
Just clic on the creepy logo and look at the right in a few minutes you will see what is that, funny? but I do not understand the meaning if you catch it just let me know, the lasttime I saw a dynaudio driver was an open box in partsexpress, but there is a clone made by a chinese brand audiovox that sounds pretty good and very similar, is another choice.....

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Who let the owls out....who....who....whowho?

I don't know why they did that, but it is funny.

I checked out their subs, very nice! Glad to see that they didn't try to stuff a 12" sub into a 1 ft^3 cabinet.

gerG

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #14 of 22
Hi Greg and Sovkiller..my sincere apologies, I didn't see your replies re details of my B&O Woofers, and yes I have some details: these numbers are on the speakers:

2422 25747 001
AD 7066-W4

hope this helps, cheers, Dav.

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 22
ok, model 7066 woofer, 4 ohm version. I will look it up tonight and ponder potential replacements. May be the same one used by DCM in the QEDs and Time Windows. I forgot to ask, how exactly are they acting up? Woofers don't typically just die. They usually prefer to go in a more spectacular manner. If you are lucky and have lived a clean life, you may just have a bad connection or a fatigued tinsel lead.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back