PDQ Bach Rocks!
Oct 28, 2002 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I just (re?)discovered a PDQ Bach CD and some MP3s in my library...

...and I can only say one thing...

[size=medium]LOL![/size]

If you thought classical music was boring... humorless... predictable...

You've never heard PDQ Bach.
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 9
This just seals it... I'm ordering a couple of these CDs as Christmas presents for my GF who's played with 3-4 diff orchestras over the past 5-6 years. I'm gonna try and pick CDs with alot of pieces she's played, so it's time for some undercover prying ("wow I just downloaded this cool song, its called "XXXXXX" have you ever played it?") tehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 9
Oedipus Tex and Other Choral Calamities and 1712 Overture and Other Musical Assaults are personal favorites
biggrin.gif

If you like the music, check out the web-site:
http://www.schickele.com/

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 9
PDQ Bach is really quite funny, in a screwed up way. I've played a couple of pieces, and they're good fun to perform too. The Sonata Abassoonata is a bit mad, the bassoonist plays both piano and bassoon simultaneously, by bashing the keyboard with the instrument, sitting on the keyboard, or sticking the bassoon on top of the piano and honking along! Yeah, that's a fun one. Diverse Ayres on Sundrie Notions for bargain-counter tenor is good too.
Andrew

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Ob3ron
This just seals it... I'm ordering a couple of these CDs as Christmas presents for my GF who's played with 3-4 diff orchestras over the past 5-6 years. I'm gonna try and pick CDs with alot of pieces she's played, so it's time for some undercover prying ("wow I just downloaded this cool song, its called "XXXXXX" have you ever played it?") tehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Better yet, get her tickets to one of his "concerts" if you are close enough to someplace that Schikele plays. They're more fun than the CDs, very memorable. Also, I believe there's a video of a PDQ Bach opera.

Oct 28, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Better yet, get her tickets to one of his "concerts" if you are close enough to someplace that Schikele plays. They're more fun than the CDs, very memorable. Also, I believe there's a video of a PDQ Bach opera.

That would be incredible, but it doesn't look like there any locations in the Great White North, and plane tickets make expensize birthday gifts for university students, so I guess a CD will have to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 9
lol... I've sung a couple of his choruses. Those things are INSANE!

Nov 3, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Yah, he's great. He did this great takeoff of Koyaanisqatsi (forget what it was called) that just repeated itself endlessly. Also very memorable was his version of Beethoven's Fifth, with football-type announcers. ("Oh my gawd, what was that, an oboe? What does he think this is, a concerto?" or something like that.) Very much the "Weird Al" of classical.

I haven't listened to him in several years...I'm going to have to revisit...

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 9
PDQB is great. I think his best stuff is very old.

Has anyone else seen very old tapes of his performances?

When he was young, he dressed up really neatly and then with a very serious classical deadpan, he'd play a sewer-pipe nose flute or some such never dropping the concerthall demeanor.
The later frenzied stuff is funny too, but much more cartoonish.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back