PCIe soundcard with good 3D sound (headphones) for O2 amp?
Apr 11, 2020 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZzBOG

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 11, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Creative's X-fi MB3 software ($30) will give you SBX Headphone surround sound, with your current hardware.
What is the make and model of your headphones?
Do you want or need to use the O2 head amp or just get a sound card with a built in head amp?
Budget?

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 10
Q701 headphones. O2 is just something I have - I don't think the mobo's soundcard will be able to drive the Q701

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Have you plugged the Q701 into the motherboard and the O2?
Do you have idea of which headphone surround sound you might want, SDX, Dolby Headphone, Sonic Studio, etc ?

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 10
I have PC based on this https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10#kf

And O2 headphone amp.

I am mostly looking to get 3D virtual sound for FPS etc. Do i need a dedicated sound card? Which one?
You need a DAC of some sort. Consider the objective DAC. Also, Mayflower has a DAC/amp combo with mic input and gain. And I think Schiitt has a dac/amp solution for gaming too.

You can use Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic to virtualize 3D sound for your stereo headphones.

I myself just use an old Creative E5 that I have laying around to power my Senns and take my headset mic input. I have the E5 output in stereo, with Dolby Atmos source audio.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Have you plugged the Q701 into the motherboard and the O2?
Do you have idea of which headphone surround sound you might want, SDX, Dolby Headphone, Sonic Studio, etc ?

Yeah Mobo -> O2 -> Q701

Re: surround - i just want the one that works the best for gaming tbh

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Creative Soundblaster X3 would be a great choice. It has multiple surround technologies, it sounds great without DSP processing (i.e. for music), and it's only $120.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah Mobo -> O2 -> Q701

Re: surround - i just want the one that works the best for gaming tbh
I really don't think he needs multiple surround technologies. He also doesn't need another amp. I can't tell a difference between Windows Sonic (free) and Dolby Atmos really. I have Creative SBX too. I use Atmos.
OP, if you get noise from your mobo audio out, I recommend a DAC of some sort. Otherwise, just use mobo LINE OUT +Windows Sonic to output to your O2. You may need to figure out your headphone out and mic in cabling though, i.e get a 3.5mm TS extension cable for your mic cable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 10
The issue with windows spatial sound is that it doesn't work with all games. For example, doom eternal. So if you go with this option, you really want to make sure the game you have works with it. When it is working properly, it will say when you click on the volume icon.
3gtCZXH.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back