PCIe Soundcard recommandations
Mar 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 42
No problem. But why do consider Xonar soundcards if you plan on gaming? Those Xonar soundcards you mentioned have good SQ but forget about gaming, at least compared to the Titanium HD. The DX is just a weaker version of the D2X, this being a nice card itself, while the STX is a newer soundcard with an integrated headphone amp. Unfortunately, people say that the sound of the STX is a bit on the bright (some even say harsh) side, and the headphone amp should have zero gain applied to avoid any distortion of any kind.

Right now I have USB interfaces due to the fact that I'm only using laptops right now, more because of a current need for mobility, as I do think desktops are superior in every single way. Though when looking for DACs above a certain price range, you'll notice most are external, be it FW, USB, SPDIF, you name it, prices up to the STX have nice things that are integrated for desktop computers, unless you plan on using the DAC between computers more easily.

The thing is, consumer cards usually have little lower performance when on USB when compared to their PCI/PCIe counterparts. This is true for both Creative and Asus. If you need mobility, get USB, if not then just get PCIe.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure about summary threads on what you look for.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #18 of 42
Higher SQ hardware comes at a price, and it's usually best to be more familiar with what someone intends to buy, or at least have an idea, which makes purchases much better. I'm glad to help in any way I can.

And in case no one told you before, welcome to Head-Fi
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 42
No problem. But why do consider Xonar soundcards if you plan on gaming? Those Xonar soundcards you mentioned have good SQ but forget about gaming, at least compared to the Titanium HD. The DX is just a weaker version of the D2X, this being a nice card itself, while the STX is a newer soundcard with an integrated headphone amp. Unfortunately, people say that the sound of the STX is a bit on the bright (some even say harsh) side, and the headphone amp should have zero gain applied to avoid any distortion of any kind.

Right now I have USB interfaces due to the fact that I'm only using laptops right now, more because of a current need for mobility, as I do think desktops are superior in every single way. Though when looking for DACs above a certain price range, you'll notice most are external, be it FW, USB, SPDIF, you name it, prices up to the STX have nice things that are integrated for desktop computers, unless you plan on using the DAC between computers more easily.

The thing is, consumer cards usually have little lower performance when on USB when compared to their PCI/PCIe counterparts. This is true for both Creative and Asus. If you need mobility, get USB, if not then just get PCIe.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure about summary threads on what you look for.

The op-amps on the STX can be changed away from the Default ones used in the I/V which are the JRCs. Which are used when the headphone amp is used. it usually a good thing to swap out those JRCs as soon as possibile. If the Op wants the X-FI features by all means a X-Fi chipset card would be the best choice for him.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #21 of 42
"Sorry about your wallet"
beyersmile.png

@genclaymore: There are quite a few threads about the Titanium HD and the STX, and how similar they are. Opamps can also be swapped on the Titanium HD.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 42
beyersmile.png

@genclaymore: There are quite a few threads about the Titanium HD and the STX, and how similar they are. Opamps can also be swapped on the Titanium HD.

I know I just thought you didnt think the STX op-amps could be swap since you mention people saying it had bright sounding which was prolly from the Default JRCs.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
beyersmile.png

I know I just thought you didnt think the STX op-amps could be swap since you mention people saying it had bright sounding which was prolly from the Default JRCs.

Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that. I was indeed talking about the sound of the default opamps.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #24 of 42
Titanium HD and STX sounds alike when it comes to music ? From what I read so far I would have expected quite the opposite.
Is there a thread here in this forum ?

By the way, as a beginner, i'm not quite sure about what you're referring to when you're talking about Opamps and JRCs and how they can be swapped.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 42
Op-amps can be swapped using a tool like a bios chip remember basicly, you are installing differnet op-amps then the ones that orginal came with the cards with two or one of a totally differnet op-amps( ingraded Circuits) with one of a different sound signature.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 42
I see you're using a STX. Did you swap those amps ? From the signature I would say yes, but not quite sure. 
If you have, why did you change them , what price did it cost , any photos ? Sorry tyring to get a bigger picture here hehe.

If the STX sound is not as good as expected, why choose this card and then change the amps after ? I fail to see the reason here.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 42
They cost me 2 dollars off ebay, I changed them because the JRCs that are used when your using the headphone amp had a signature I didnt like. I changed it to the OPA2107AP because of there sound signature. of being natural and open.. also Differnet op-amps work different on diffent cards because of there components as well. the Default JRC has a bright sound.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #30 of 42
wait are u using an iem with ur xonar essence stx>?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back