PCDP with remote control
Jun 11, 2002 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

martioz

100+ Head-Fier
Can anybody provide info about PCDP with remote control; I mean IR control not wired remote!
Thanks!
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm pretty sure there are no current models with a feature like that. IIRC there was a Sony model ages ago...but try and find one man, doubt it's easy.

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 14
The only PCDP's I know of produced in the last ten years or so were some Panasonic and Sony car PCDP's. I used to have one of the Panasonic car discman with a tiny little wireless remote, but seldom used the remote. I still have two of the wireless remote kits for the early Sony PCDP's that worked on many of the Sony PCDP's made from 1987 to 1992 or so, including the D-25 (and S), D-303, D-555, D-35, D-10, etc. AFAIK, none of the remotes controlled the volume on any of the Sony or Panasonic PCDP's, except possibly on some of the newer models with digital volume control.

-Keith

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 14
I had an incredible Technics player that I got circa 1992 that had a credit-card size wireless remote. Forget the model #, but it was top of the line at the time. A wonderful PCDP all around -- dual remotes (also had one in the headphone cord) -- very clean line-out, backlighting when using AC, built-in recharble batteries. Used it as my main rig until a couple of years ago, when it died during a trip to Hawaii. I still have it. Might try fixing. Was one mean machine. Very sentimental to me.
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by martioz
Can anybody provide info about PCDP with remote control; I mean IR control not wired remote!
Thanks!
confused.gif

One of the most recent examples of a PCDP with an IR remote control was last year's Panasonic SL-SX282C. But you also got the "car kit" (cassette adaptor and a cigarette-lighter plug) in addition to the IR remote.

UPDATE: The recently introduced - and currently available - Panasonic SL-SX392C also has a wireless IR remote.

Jun 12, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 14
Yeah those credit sized remotes were soooo popular with high-end Japanese PCDPs back in the early 90's... some of those remotes even have light-up keypads, I think Kenwood, Denon, and Technics had them, I've seen Sony ones but don't know which models came with them (probably the CAR Discmans)...

I remember they used to advertise those infared remotes as being useful if you setup the PCDP at home as a micro system with speakers...

Jun 12, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

On the ct570, I think the wired remote sounds bad, too.

I never knew this, as when i auditioned my friend's ct570, it was without the remote.

Curious, has anyone else experienced bad soudn on the 570 with the wired remote???

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 14
There is the NAPA DAV series, which has a credit card sized IR remote. However, to say it's sound quality is hi-fi is the same as saying that George Bush is an insightful intellectual.

The VCD playback is useful for those chop sockey movies tho...

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The recently introduced - and currently available - Panasonic SL-SX392C also has a wireless IR remote.

I quote myself because any Head-Fiers living in the U.S. can buy the SL-SX392C, with its sub-"credit-card-sized" IR wireless remote and a "car kit" - all for just $59.99 or less (brand new, at retail).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back