PCDP for Sister-in-Law?
Dec 2, 2005 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tradja

100+ Head-Fier
My sister-in-law's PCDP recently died, and we want to get her a PCDP for Xmas.
Ideally:

* Most importantly, sturdy build quality
* somewhat "cool", or at least less dorky
* $50 or less, new or used
* relatively easy to find online/ebay, etc.

SQ is not a criteria at all. Remember, this is for HER, not me or an audiophile.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Ha! I thought said your sister in-law died.
biggrin.gif
umm...yeah. I like my iRiver 550 a lot, and i believe older models of it are in the $50 range on ebay. If she's not discriminating about sound quality at all, then this is a pretty neat/unique pcdp in that you dont see many cd players w/o a screen. It's very convenient if your using it in the right setup, such as lugging it in a bag with the remote clipped on the outside, but it's terribly annoying to carry around with no bag.

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshines
Ha! I thought said your sister in-law died.
biggrin.gif
umm...yeah. I like my iRiver 550 a lot, and i believe older models of it are in the $50 range on ebay. If she's not discriminating about sound quality at all, then this is a pretty neat/unique pcdp in that you dont see many cd players w/o a screen. It's very convenient if your using it in the right setup, such as lugging it in a bag with the remote clipped on the outside, but it's terribly annoying to carry around with no bag.

yeah I got my imp-400 for $45 shipped, so far I'm impressed with all the features, but most of them are used you'll have a hard time finding a new one and under $50.

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the good suggestions. The 550 looks absolutely great, but seems to be about 3x my price range (
eek.gif
). The 400 does look unmistakably like a toilet seat. (sorry, apnk!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
). I'm looking at a used or NOS 350.

Any other ideas?

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Those Sony's are cool, but I'm leaning towards something with cleaner lines. My sister-in-law is into punk culture and works at a bookstore -- "clean", "design-y", and "metal" will be a better gift than a techy mini-UFO.

Also, this will be a replacement for some generic PCDP that crapped out on her lately, and since I'm the obligatory tech go-to guy in the family, I feel a looming responsibility to get her the best build quality I can get for my budget (around $50). If I come in under budget, I'll probably jazz it up with a neoprene PCDP case and some KSC75's.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 9
YamiTenshi and gshan, those are great suggestions and add some good options. Thanks!

BTW, by "clean", I mean a simple and uncluttered design.

The Best Buy I work at does not seem to carry the EJ120
frown.gif
Back to ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back