PCDP + ART DIO or stand alone CDP?
Jul 22, 2002 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Vitalstatistix

100+ Head-Fier
This is really a dumb question.
redface.gif
I'm going to beg first and foremost for your understanding as I'm an uber-n00b.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, as some of you know, I've been thinking of upgrading my source to a stand-alone one (maybe). My sources at the moment are either portable or computer/laptop.

My question is, let's say comparing the redbook performance of the Sony NS500V (or players in that price range) with the portable's digital line-out + Art DIO combo, which one is better? I'm only concern about redbook performance by the way. Reason I'm asking is, if the portable + Art DIO combo works well i.e. equivalent to a $200-$300 stand-alone player, then I might just invest in the external DAC which is considerably cheaper. The extra money would buy me the cardas HD600 cable. My set up wold then be PCDP/PMDP -->Art DIO-->META42-->cardas HD600 cable --> HD600 -->my brain.

I would appreciate any input at all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 30
Most portables have an optical digital output, and the DI/O only accepts coax. So, you'll need an optical to coax convertor somewhere in the mix. A decent one can run about $60, IIRC.

The NS500V is running about $150-$170 these days, but will become unavailable at some point, as it has been discontinued. So, a DI/O ($125) and convertor isn't going to save any money. Further, the DI/O is a very good stock DAC, but requires modification to really sound its best (a further investment of time/money should you choose that route). Even if you go that way, you may well find that jitter introduced by the portable as a transport negates some of the benefits of the DI/O.

I'd grab the NS500V while it's on closeout. If resources allow at a later time, you can add a DI/O or other DAC to that, and will have a better system than you can build on a PCDP. In the meantime, the NS500V does just fine as a stand alone, and won't cost more than the DI/O and convertor.

Jul 22, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 30
Wow, I see what you mean, the lowest price I could find to ship a package of the NS500v's wieght (w/ insurance) was $47.90. Not exactly cheap.

Jul 22, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 30
Okay...since you can't import a cdp with your budget...get something light! If I were you, I'd find an optimus CD3400, which has a coax output. Then, I would get an art DI/O.

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 30
I thought Australians were like Canadians. No, no, not just that you both have funny accents. I mean -- don't you guys have some kind of nationalist belief that all the stuff you make there is better than all the stuff other countries make anyway? Seems like I've heard good reviews of some Australian CD players.

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
don't you guys have some kind of nationalist belief that all the stuff you make there is better than all the stuff other countries make anyway?

Only applicable for certain goods e.g. wine.
biggrin.gif

Australia has its own CD players??
confused.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Vitalstatistix
Australia has its own CD players??
confused.gif

Well, Australia at least has these, but they're not inexpensive:
Redgum

Jul 23, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I thought Australians were like Canadians. No, no, not just that you both have funny accents. I mean -- don't you guys have some kind of nationalist belief that all the stuff you make there is better than all the stuff other countries make anyway?

Uh, yeah, we Canucks sure do make good maple syrup, eh?. And maple sugar eh? And maple sugar candy eh? Don't forget the hockey pucks eh? We make those too. Funny accent eh? Heehee.. this coming from a Texan eh? heeheehee...

Jul 23, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Uh, yeah, we Canucks sure do make good maple syrup, eh?. And maple sugar eh? And maple sugar candy eh? Don't forget the hockey pucks eh? We make those too. Funny accent eh? Heehee.. this coming from a Texan eh? heeheehee...

That thar bacon ya'll do is purty good too, I reckon.

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 30
redgum prices are much cheaper for locals if youre interested. the dac looks interesting but what's with those crazy looking cd-players! their dvd player is said to have the same redbook playback capabilities as their dac2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back