PCB Screw Mounting Hole Location: Under a Tube Socket?
Jan 11, 2009 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

luvdunhill

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, so good idea or bad idea?! I'm using noval PCB mount sockets. The idea would be that I'd put a screw through the top side and screw on the standoff on the other side, then solder in the tube socket. I don't have a center hole in my socket pattern... I figure the screw will be trapped, but if I needed to remove it, I could just remove the entire tube socket... a PITA, but I'm assuming this won't happen to often. Obviously, this is an ideal place for insertion force concerns.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 5
[Private]I was going to ask about center of board support, so now I know - please tell me this is on layout and not actual proto board? My novals are teflon...[/Private]

Uh... really good question - nylon / ceramic standoffs and nylon screws?

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Seems like a good idea to me. I was going to try it on the Millett Max board, but always had too many traces there. I also dont see why you would need to remove the screw.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 5
My concern is not getting enough solder into each socket lead - seems like I am always adding to each lead on the bottom as security for tube insertion force. Maybe I am paranoid, but that is complete horrorshow pulling sockets, after JUST pullung 4 on another build due to crappy 'pin grip' on the sockets, and no, no desoldering station.

But, better than no board support under the tubes. Maybe making a case to air wire to boards, and mount sockets to the case (the way I might lean anyway)?

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... really good question - nylon / ceramic standoffs and nylon screws?

yeah, I was thinking a PTFE/nylon/polycarbonate machine screw with ceramic standoff.

Ceramic machine screws are expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back