PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #271 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that you are not a native English speaker. You do understand that "precise" doesn't mean the same thing as "pedantic", don't you? IMO, you are being pedantic, not precise. Of course, we can agree to disagree about this too.

Correct, English is not my native language.
Anyway, to me "precise" is more or less equal to "exact / distinct / accurate / clear". The word "pedantic" I probably have to look up to fully understand.

I say the word "PC" have a very precise definition, while you think I am pedantic to stick with it.
Hence I don't see how I used the word "precise" wrong. If so, then my English simply come short...

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #272 of 637
the reason is because while originally, the words personal and computer were just two words used together to indicate something somewhat unusual. But PC as it's used today is really a shortening of "IBM PC" because none of them are made by IBM anymore. It's "technically correct" that any computer used by a person is a personal computer, but it's still not a PC unless it's running an operating system that's derived from DOS. Using definitions that you know are not the common usage so as to change the terms of the debate is being pedantic, and it's effectively saying you don't want to participate in a reasonable discussion, but would rather devolve the conversation into one of semantics. When this happens in face to face conversations, most people throw up their hands and walk away.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #273 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I believe in precise definition!
wink.gif

We agree to disagree about what is meant by the word "PC", and that is fine for me.

110644101.jpg

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #274 of 637
Quote:

Correct, English is not my native language.
Anyway, to me "precise" is more or less equal to "exact / distinct / accurate / clear". The word "pedantic" I probably have to look up to fully understand.

I say the word "PC" have a very precise definition, while you think I am pedantic to stick with it.
Hence I don't see how I used the word "precise" wrong. If so, then my English simply come short...

I say that the word "PC" has several definitions. For you to insist that only one of them is the correct definition is, IMO, pedantic.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #275 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/110644101.jpg

I most probably do!
Arguing is quite fun though.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I don't see the problem with simply writing "XP", "Vista", "OS X", ... instead of "PC" when asking questions clearly related to one specific platform/OS.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #276 of 637
Quote:

Anyway, I don't see the problem with simply writing "XP", "Vista", "OS X", ... instead of "PC" when asking questions clearly related to one specific platform/OS.

You wouldn't see the problem, you'd see it as an opportunity to post 3 times.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #278 of 637
Quote:

Do you see the problem with the manner in which you participate on this website?

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #279 of 637
Ok, I am willing to look into changing my impression of the word "PC"!
smile.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #280 of 637
My 2¢, PC most often means a Windows-based machine in the USA. Certainly it stands for personal computer and has a broad definition. The rise of Intel Macs blurs this line a bit more, given that all new Macs can run Windows.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #281 of 637
To the original point of the article (which doesn't seem to be ideal for a front-page post). I've often bought first run Macs and had little difficulty. I pre-ordered a 15" unibody on the day of the announcement and it's flawless. Certainly the luck Jude had with hardware flaws is a bummer, but it's a relatively isolated occurrence. I guess I should post when we get Dells that have issues.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #282 of 637
Quote:

Ok, I am willing to look into changing my impression of the word "PC"!
smile.gif

Lots of things in the US get a commonly-used name from a particular brand of whatever that thing is. PC is implied to be an Windows machine because of the old IBM PC days, which ran a Microsoft command-line OS. A lot of people say "Coke" as a term for sodas, even though they may not technically want a Coke. Same thing for "Tylenol", "Kleenex", "Q-tip", "Legos", lots of other stuff.

When you're the world's largest superpower, you can impose your terminology on others.
ksc75smile.gif
Just kidding.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #283 of 637
Hehe, yeah, I don't like PC either, just saying that I hear people use it to mean Windows. Now where's that set of Velcro® brand hook and loop fastener I had lying around?

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #284 of 637
PC = Windoze, Linux

Mac = Mac, and 'PC' is such a dirty term, with no political correctness merit to it at all.

Cupertino seems pretty satisfied with this arrangement, as is Redmond...so why not everyone else?

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #285 of 637
So for you guys using quicksilver, do you know if there's a quick way to launch an ad-hoc network? I want to be able to type a few keystrokes and have an ad-hoc network setup to tether my iPhone on.

Thanks for the two finger click recommendation. I like using the two finger slide so I'll see how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back