PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #242 of 637
Quote:

Just boot-up time alone!
I sit there waiting and staring at my hard drive light on 2 different PC's (work and kids). In that time, I have booted up on my iMac, reviewed all my mail and Head-fi activities, and shut down, showered and shaved (you know, the 3 S's)

I don't know about macs, but my PCs boot up quite fast. And waking from sleep is pretty much instantaneous on my desktop. Even if you have fast hardware, you need to make sure you get rid of extraneous software (particularly with laptops) and just take care of your PC.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #243 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about macs, but my PCs boot up quite fast. And waking from sleep is pretty much instantaneous on my desktop. Even if you have fast hardware, you need to make sure you get rid of extraneous software (particularly with laptops) and just take care of your PC.

My Vista system boots quite fast. But my old desktop with the Windows 7 beta boots even faster. In any case, both of my Windows systems boot faster than my cousin's iMac, though she has a G5 iMac. I've never compared boot times with a Intel-based iMac.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #245 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure that with Apple's small market share, any hardware/software flaws probably stand out a lot more. If 17 people out of 100 have problems, it's noticed. If 17 people out of 1,000,000 have problems then it's not as easily noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That second 17 should theoretically go up as well- to something like 170,000 people out of a million would have problems.

I think ye are missing the point. If 1 in 5 report problems, it doesn't matter if thats from a total of 5 users or 5 million. Its still 1 in 5, or 20%.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #246 of 637
If someone knows what they are doing, they should have no problems with a modern PC or Mac being slow to boot, or bad performance in general. If a problem does arise anyone with any cop on, should know how to fix it.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #247 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intel Mac's about a minute give or take a few seconds model depending.

Depends on how much stuff you have it loaded with. My MBP takes ~30 seconds or less from cold start to login screen.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #248 of 637
^ Yeah, ±30 seconds here as well.
Booting Mac OS 10.5.6 from cold to login window. Then 10 seconds or so after entering password until fully loaded desktop

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #249 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Booting Mac OS 10.5.6 from cold to login window. Then 10 seconds or so after entering password until fully loaded desktop

To get to the desktop is another matter entirely. I have too much stuff loaded on startup, so it takes maybe ~60 secs to be fully loaded after that. I blame Quicksilver as it is always last to load, and quite slow.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #250 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To get to the desktop is another matter entirely. I have too much stuff loaded on startup, so it takes maybe ~60 secs to be fully loaded after that. I blame Quicksilver as it is always last to load, and quite slow.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #251 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, same here. I have a MacBook Pro, takes about 30 seconds from cold boot to the login screen, once the password has been entered, it takes around 10-30 seconds, with Quicksilver the last to load. Then it's straight on to Head-Fi...
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #252 of 637
I have a Mac Mini with a dual core Intel and I'm surprised with how quick it boots up. I only use it for development (iPhone apps) but it still surprises me.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #253 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Guess the amount of items loaded on startup make a big difference then.
I have MenuMeters and Meteorologist, thats it.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #255 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moral of the story: PC > Mac

But a Mac is a PC.

PC = personal computer, as long as an individual buys a computer its a pc whether it has window, the max OS, linux etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back