PC sound help
May 10, 2002 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

venzuel00

100+ Head-Fier
A few people from this forum recommended me to get a pair of paradigm atoms and the NAD L40 for my PC laptop. I was wondering if the "stereo link" is a most to get good sounding out of my laptop with my system mentioned above. I was considering the extigy but i think the stereo link would be much better. What other alternatives do I have to improve my laptop sound? I've heard of a D/IO (whatever it is called) , or the Creek something. I would like some inputs from all you guys... Thanks

May 10, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 24
I've heard both the Stereo-Link 1200 and the Xitel Hi-Fi Link. Both are great for laptop users. They sound similar (the components inside are supposedly similar too), but the Stereo-Link is definitely better in the lower octaves, perhaps because it uses an external power supply (i.e. more power). The sound quality from the Stereo-Link is comparable to a reasonable CD player. I haven't heard the Extigy, but it may also be a good choice, and you should definitely think about it. Reviews for it as a hardware device have tended to be good, though the included software is apparently awful. The Ego-Sys U2A is another possible choice.

To my knowledge, no one on this board has tried using an ART DI/O with a laptop. I think everyone would agree that this has the potential to provide the best sound, but you would need three things to get it to work: a Xitel Digital Hi-Fi Link, an optical to coaxial converter, then an ART DI/O.

May 10, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 24
Would a paradigm atom be enough for my laptop or should I get a an amplifier like NAD L50(only mp3s)? I'm trying to convince my friend that these will decimate any pc speakers like sirocco crossfires or Klipsch Pro Media. Also would they sound better if I use Audiotron or Stereo Link? How would I set these up for a 5.1 system for my laptop( maybe buy 2 pairs and center speaker???I 've read alot of rave reviews about the Audiotron and alot of people are very happy about it.

May 10, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 24
Xitel Hi Fi link is half the price of Stereo Link. Is there a big difference in sound quality?? What did you mean by octave? What setup do most people in headfi have for their computers or laptop users?? Nobody has heard about the Audiotron??

May 11, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 24
There is no way you can power the paradigm atoms properly with anything short of an amplifier. Speakers like the klipsch pro media have their own amplier, the atom does not. The atoms may work from ine out, but they would not sound quite poor and nowhere near as good as they could.

May 11, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
Would a paradigm atom be enough for my laptop or should I get a an amplifier like NAD L50(only mp3s)? I'm trying to convince my friend that these will decimate any pc speakers like sirocco crossfires or Klipsch Pro Media. Also would they sound better if I use Audiotron or Stereo Link? How would I set these up for a 5.1 system for my laptop( maybe buy 2 pairs and center speaker???I 've read alot of rave reviews about the Audiotron and alot of people are very happy about it.

With Atoms (or any other real speaker), you'll need an amp (like the L40). There's no doubt that a good speaker setup will be better than a PC speaker setup; how much better depends on what speakers you're comparing. On the other hand, if you need 5.1 sound (for games or whatever), it can start to get expensive to buy real speakers, and you may have to settle for computer speakers. If you primarly listen to music, a pair of real speakers is better. The best option for 5.1 out of a laptop is the Extigy.

You also asked about the Xitel/Stereo-Link differences. The "lowest octave" means the bass. The Stereo-Link has stronger and more realistic bass. Personally, I think the difference in sound is worth the difference in price.

I haven't heard the Audiotron, so I can't comment on that.

My current computer setup is:
ThinkPad -> Stereo-Link -> NAD C320 -> headphones/speakers

May 11, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 24
So basically that's why most people prefer to buy the computer speaker if they want to set up a 5.1 system. How does the NAD L40 compare to your C320? I can't find yours, i can only find the C350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back