[PC] Recommend: Never had good PC Speakers. Nows the time!
Jun 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shadowcrit

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi Forum Members,

Forum Lurker recently joined, and read though a lot of the forums. I still feel noobish on being able to pick out a good set of speakers for my self. So I would like the enlist you guys to help me please!
smile.gif

What I am Looking For:
Near Field 2.1 Speaker System.

Budget:
Well, not a hard budget, but would like to keep it around $300 (not including tax and shipping, I'll pay extra for that).

How Will I Use These:
Mainly PC Gaming. My music collection is in FLAC and MP3 320kbps, so Music is a close 2nd.

I plan on hooking these up via USB. So I'm not too sure if a built in DAC is important or not. I want that sub woofer bass sound when playing games and listening to music.

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 9
$300 is a bit tight for a good 2.1 system, and the large majority of powered speakers don't come with USB hookup (USB hookup means they have an internal DAC). I'd recommend considering the JBL LSR305. Very good powered speakers. Sweetwater has a good price on them: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 9
  What I am Looking For:
Near Field 2.1 Speaker System.
Budget:
Well, not a hard budget, but would like to keep it around $300 (not including tax and shipping, I'll pay extra for that).
How Will I Use These:
Mainly PC Gaming. My music collection is in FLAC and MP3 320kbps, so Music is a close 2nd.
I plan on hooking these up via USB. So I'm not too sure if a built in DAC is important or not. I want that sub woofer bass sound when playing games and listening to music.

Monoprice audio.
5" studio monitor for $110 (normally $178)
8" studio monitor for $163 (normally $255)
Sub-woofer for $143 (normally $220)

Your not going to find a better bang for the buck audio setup.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401

Expect another $15 for the cables.

Do you already have something "USB" for the hook up?

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, the $300 is not a hard budget. For example, I was considering the Vanatoo One speakers. I will raise the budget if its worth it :)

I will take a look at the monoprice setup. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, the $300 is not a hard budget. For example, I was considering the Vanatoo One speakers. I will raise the budget of its worth
smily_headphones1.gif

I will take a look at the Monoprice setup. Thanks!

The Vanatoo One look like some nice speakers, but I think your paying extra cash for features (USB, optical, coaxial) you will not use.

You can get a nice DAC from $50 to $100, but your paying an extra $335-$385 for he Vanatoo One, over the Monoprice 8" studio monitors.

I've been using the Monoprice 5" studio monitors for the past year, no regrets.
Last Friday I ordered the Monoprice 8" studio monitors (only $185, including tax/shipping), for my nephews.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Since I have purchased from Monoprice lots of times before, I think I will give these a shot! I am little confused about the cabling needed for the speakers. I hope this is an o.k thread to talk about it.

Going to purchase the 5" Speakers(Link) with the 10" Sub(Link).

Questions:

1. Will both speakers need their own power cord?

2. If I hook up both speakers to the sub, can the sub power it and no need for the cables?

3. Is there a good DAC that is recommend that I can use for this setup to hook it up to my PC?

Again thanks for the recommendation PurpleAngel and Cel4145!

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 9
  Since I have purchased from Monoprice lots of times before, I think I will give these a shot! I am little confused about the cabling needed for the speakers. I hope this is an o.k thread to talk about it.
Going to purchase the 5" Speakers(Link) with the 10" Sub(Link).
Questions:
1. Will both speakers need their own power cord?
2. If I hook up both speakers to the sub, can the sub power it and no need for the cables?
3. Is there a good DAC that is recommend that I can use for this setup to hook it up to my PC?
Again thanks for the recommendation PurpleAngel and Cel4145!

The studio monitors will ship with their own power cords (as will the sub-woofer).
The sub will not power the studio monitors, but you will need cables with mono 1/4' TS plugs (both ends), to connect the sub-woofer to the studio monitors.
This is the 1/4' cable (six foot) for connecting the sub-woofer to the studio monitors (you would need 2, so $4.40 X 2 is $8.80)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=5496&seq=1&format=2
And cables with a stereo 3.5mm (1/8) plug or RCA jacks on one end and 1/4" mono 1/4" plugs on the other end, depending on wither the DAC you get has a 3.5mm jack or RCA jacks, to connect the DAC to the sub-woofer.
This is the cable that would connect from a DAC with a 3.5mm output jack, to the inputs on the sub-woofer.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150905&p_id=601040&seq=1&format=2
If your DAC has RCA outputs, use this cable
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR201

As the studio monitors and sub-woofer each have their own built in amplifiers and each come with their own power cord, so you will need three AC sockets for them to plug into, might order a power stripe/surge protector from Monoprice.
The the audio will run from your source (DAC) to the sub-woofer, the sub-woofer will pull out of the signal it needs for the low end (low bass) and then route the rest of the signal to the studio monitors, which will handle the treble, mids and higher bass.

The Monoprice studio monitors and sub-woofer also come with balanced connections (XLR, three prongs), but unless you get a DAC with a balanced output (which I doubt you want or need), it's not something you will need to deal with.
The 3.5mm, RCA and 1/4' TS connections are unbalanced connections, which is what most people usually use for audio.

For sound card with a good DAC chip (CS4398), for use with your PC.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used, $50

Or for an external DAC
Hifimediy USB DAC, $57
Schiit Modi DAC. $99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back