PC Gaming Setup
Sep 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Northdash

New Head-Fier
[size=x-small]I've recently built a new PC but am looking to upgrade the sound card and put in some equipment to get the most out of them. The 3 cards I've been looking at are:

-auzentech prelude (most likely to get)
-auzentech forte (2nd runner)
-creative x-fi titanium

Now my biggest focus is on gaming (mostly FPS and your occasional MMO) but I am a music lover (i do use FLAC files). I listen to just about every genre, so I want a nice, well balanced system.

I'm trying to learn more about audio equipment, as I must admit, I know VERY little. Right now I've been using a E5 portable amp that seems to be doing the job quite well.

My question is simple, what would you recommend for a decent setup. If you could provide an explanation on what it does or why you recommend it, I would love to understand. The only headphones I'll be using are my audio technicas ATH-AD700., I won't be using any speakers.

Also it would help to know what type of cable to use ;]

Price wise, I work and have a solid job so money is not an issue. But be reasonable. I'm not setting up anything high end, just a mid range solid system to make my sound experiences more enjoyable.

Cheers![/size]

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 10
IMO I'd go with the Auzentech Fote for the following reasons.

The headphone amp will be more than enough for your music needs and will indeed max out your AD700's.

The Forte IMO will sound just the same if not better than the prelude for gaming. I actually will own both as soon as my Forte comes. But If i would bet $100000 on what would sound better, I'd throw it at the forte.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 10
You might also want to consider a external DAC/AMP like a Zero or Compass. I'm sure there are other options as well.

Of those 3 choices I'd say skip the X-Fi titanium. My Zero was way better than the X-Fi for music. For gaming it was about the same.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely look into the Zero and Compass. The Forte does look like a very solid card, as does the prelude as well.

Any other suggestions welcome :]

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also want to consider a external DAC/AMP like a Zero or Compass. I'm sure there are other options as well.

Of those 3 choices I'd say skip the X-Fi titanium. My Zero was way better than the X-Fi for music. For gaming it was about the same.

How is the Zero "about the same" as an X-Fi? It doesn't have surround decoding, right? I mean, it's just a

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the Zero "about the same" as an X-Fi? It doesn't have surround decoding, right? I mean, it's just a

I never used the surround features. It might be nice for single player games but I always felt stereo was the best for multiplayer. The Zero also widen the sound stage making positioning better. I'm just mentioning the Zero because I've used it. There are probably other better options as the Zero seems to have a high failure rate. The Compass is twice as much but only slightly better for games. Much better for all else though.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 10
X-Fi Xtrememusic and z-5500 for gaming here.

I find it hard to wall people with headphones.

Center = wall hacks
Rear = 360 degrees vision

edit: I'm waiting for the essence ST but I don't want to give up the x-fi for gaming.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiyoyuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: I'm waiting for the essence ST but I don't want to give up the x-fi for gaming.

What's wrong with the essence? Compared to X-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back