PC game: Civilization fans? Which one u prefer?
Oct 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
Civ3 or Civ 4?

Yesterday i picked up a copy of civilization 3 from the bargain bin in a pc game store. I realised that i actually prefer 3 to 4 despite of the lousy graphic.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 30
I played Civ 2 back in '97 and it's the only one I've played to date, but I loved it and have been contemplating snagging 3 or 4 if I could just find the time to play it.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 30
Civ 1 all the way. That is a classic. I got bored to later instalments quite fast for some reason, but Civ 1 with all its crudeness was hooking.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 30
Civ 4 is probably my favorite but I really like Civ 3 too.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 30
Civ 3 is more intuitive to me.

Gameplay on both of the newer ones is good, but I think that the focus on graphics can sometimes take away from it.

Some simple games can be very fun, like Sid Meier's Pirates.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 30
i have played all but civ one on the snes so i am not sure how well that says for the version but i loved it.

i have 3 and 4 and used to have 2 but only on mac classic which does not run on my macbook pro.

4 is great but it seems to be a bit simpler than 3 which was overall complicated and really almost bordering on too much. 4 has some good additions but i think i prefer the clean look of 3 and find it easier to switch between advisors.

4 is great but i play it less than 3. 3 i love but play less than 2. i think 3 is my favourite though.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 30
Although I haven't had a chance to play either I can tell you that 4 has amazing music. I keep saying I'll pick 4 up but never do.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked Alpha Centauri alot. It was essentially Civ in space, does it count?

x2. I've played Alpha Centauri the most and still prefer it because I learned the units and interface better than the others.

Between the Civs, though, Civ 2 first and then Civ 4.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 30
Of the OP's options, Civ 4: the experience skill points are the detail and greatness. The graphics should be better in simplicity and leanness. It has never been too fast on my computers. If a turn based strategy should be something, then fast and responsive and have good documentary.

Of all Civs, Alpha Centauri is the winner. It doesn't work too well on Linux but the gameplay, the level of graphics and depth is very great. Not to mention very atmospheric music, sound effects and voice actors!

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Civ 1 all the way. That is a classic. I got bored to later instalments quite fast for some reason, but Civ 1 with all its crudeness was hooking.

I agree. It's the only civ i've spent nights playing.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 30
only the best game series ever!

i played 1 on an ancient 150mhz pc, which was a prize, and was amazing at the ti me lol

i do like 4, but its very different to 3, i think 4 is better with culture, my favourite winning method, and its just generally bigger!

there are some things of 3 that were better, but i havent played 3 for ages

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 30
haha: 150mhz ain't ancient. i remember wondering when amd/intel were going to stop blowing my mind. we got computers quite late for a family of the time and our first was a 486 though i had spend all my time with apple ii and old mac and then eventually on 286 and 386: admittedly i got into it when there was already a huge consumer surge so calling my experience authentic is sort of rubbish. but 150mhz computer: damn!? that is hard core burner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back