PC-->EMU0404-->LittleDot MKIII-->t-amp-->Energy RC10
Dec 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 50
Ahh yeah, sorry for the delayed response. Reason I got the XPA-2 was to give myself a bit more headroom when I wanted to upgrade in the future and also I had to strike during the Christmas sale. I've heard it was more dangerous to not have enough wattage than to have too much. Haven't been having any trouble using the XPA-2 with the Energy RC10s at all. In fact, I'm getting a very dynamic sound from them. These are very capable bookshelves, especially given their price.

If you're looking for a solid receiver with more than enough juice to power them, you should stay on lookout for HK3480s or HK3490s on ebay. HK3480s can be nabbed for under $100 often times and supposedly it's not that different from the HK3490 other than optical in, Ipod connectivity and I believe a few watts in a power. I had the Energies hooked up to the HK3490 and it sounded very good indeed. Occasionally, Harman Kardon also sells refurbished, but warrantied 3490s on ebay which can be nabbed for around $200.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 50
thanks for that information... for now I am under tight budget and so just going with a t-amp.. maybe in the future, if i get a chance to try out a receiver, i might make the upgrade

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 50
yea it looked orange on there website but its really like a dark wood with a slight red tint

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 50
@ baird_Gow, do you think it would be possible for you to snap a picture of what it actually looks like? i know mine are coming next week... but still curious to see what the actual color looks like.. just a request, if not convenient, it's fine..

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ baird_Gow, do you think it would be possible for you to snap a picture of what it actually looks like? i know mine are coming next week... but still curious to see what the actual color looks like.. just a request, if not convenient, it's fine..

My camera makes them look really really red (they aren't) but here is the darkness of them
P1020601.jpg

P1020602.jpg

P1020604.jpg

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 50
WOW... that looks just amazing.

BTW, you have a realllly nice setup.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #22 of 50
Thanks it will be even better now that my HFI-780 have sold and i am getting PRO 900s. BTW i have also upgraded my Reciever to a HK 3390 since i took these (my friend also has RC-10's and a HK 3390 (but with better DAC)) it is a great receiver for the price you can get from Harman Kardons ebay site ($140 -$190 Refurbished but with a full warranty so who cares).

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 50
oh that's so tempting.. i haven't even gotten my t-amp yet and am getting the itch to get a receiver... do you have recommendations closer to $100... i am pretty tight on budget right now

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #25 of 50
@desuEx, is that also the cherry color?

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #26 of 50
Yes. The other pic's RC-10 color comes out a deeper shade of red than the actual - my picture was taken under natural light (unless cherrys actually vary that much, that is).

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 50
as i said my pics are really red for some reason mine look like his
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh that's so tempting.. i haven't even gotten my t-amp yet and am getting the itch to get a receiver... do you have recommendations closer to $100... i am pretty tight on budget right now

Yea i got one lol sell some of your IEMs and get the HK 3390 its a nice mid-fi receiver a couple of years ago it was over $400

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's in my sig, but w/e. Integrated amp is on a side desk.

IMG_5330-Copy.jpg

ewwww early reflections. you should put those speakers closer to the edge of the desk like mine are (and if you need to angle them towards you) so you don't get early reflections.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #28 of 50
Definitely not an ideal setup at the moment, but I'm actually moving soon, and will have a better space to play with.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #29 of 50
I was gonna rearrange my room but i decided to upgrade to the PRO 900s instead cause im going to be living at a fire academy for 3 months and the last time i checked headphones are portable while a room is not.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #30 of 50
Nice budget setup, how would a t-amp fare against one of these mid-level Harman receivers?

I'm considering a similar setup, but I guess I'll have to wait a little while to read your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do not have a littledot MKIII, but I do want a tube preamp. I think t-amps are are naturally polite and rolled off (which I prefer) so I'm not sure if it's exactly needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back