PAYPAL under 18(years old)?
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mambo5

100+ Head-Fier
It seems that you can't make any online purchases without a paypal account these days.

You have to be 18 to make a paypal account, and you have to be 18 to make a checking/savings account(here in US) so i can't link my own checkings/savings account to a paypal under my mother's name. I've managed to make a few online purchases with only a debit card under my mom's name.
My parents are skeptical about transferring money to a person named "PAYPAL" on the internet. DANG IMMIGRANT (but legal) PARENTS.

I'm still a good 3-4 years till I'm 18. My sister can't do it, she's too mean, and my parents don't trust transferring money over the internet to a "PAYPAL ACCOUNT".
I can't use Ebay, the for-sale forum here, and many other online retailers and stores.
I've run into this paypal problem since i started searching for a portable amp.
Is there any other method to get use/get a paypal account?
My friend said something about a branch account with my money. will that work?

Is there a way?

Please help!!!
Looks like amazon.com will continue to be my source for headphones and such head-fi related purchases.

Gone are the days where you could get a good deal without buying online.
thank you in advance

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 13
Money order is your friend.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 13
Lie.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 13
I believe you can open a joint account with a parent or guardian. Why don't you ask your parents to open a joint savings with you? That's very low risk - the bank won't make the withdrawal without funds and there's no possibility of overdraft. I don't remember the particulars, but I've had checking since I was 15. I'm sure you could open the same.

If your parents are skeptical of a "PayPal," is there someone else they trust who could explain it to them? Maybe another family member, clergy, a teacher at your school, the family doctor or lawyer, someone they trust.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 13
As Uncle Erik said, you could open a joint checking account. When I first started working (15 y.o.) I opened up one with my parents. It was under my name, but my parents were legal custodians or whatever it's called. When you turn 18, the account is completely yours.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 13
I did the same, I miss that account. It was pretty much a normal savings account, with the normal interest rate, no fees and no penalties for withdrawals or anything. In the UK I got a debit card which worked for online payments at some stores too.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm 16 and English. I use my Solo (debit) card and Bank account to financially back the account. - Its impossible for paypal to find out you are underage, as the bank will simply REFUSE to give paypal any personal information of yours such as age. However it is breaking the rules.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 13
just curious about one thing - do i have the right to decide how old i am
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 13
I am almost 16. I have had Paypal since early 2006!

I have had it tied with a HSBC young savers account (without debit card at first, now with debit card as of over 2 years ago i think)

Now my savers account has been upgraded to a "Bank Account" as I am 16 in two months (just like you get your national insurance number here 2months before 16)

I guess parents is the issue. I always used to check the listing with my dad before i bought anything anyway, and my dad has been using paypal for years.

I have had hack scares twice, but Paypal always react fast (so cautious they sometimes flag up non-issues!).

I am verified too.

Matt

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 13
I keep forgetting how young people are around here...

I'm still used to being one of the "young guys" over at Audio Asylum!

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep forgetting how young people are around here...

I'm still used to being one of the "young guys" over at Audio Asylum!

Honestly didn't ever think about age here, then I went to a meet and felt REALLY young(20) & out of place . But then I did some listening and chatting and realized how little it mattered haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back