Paypal Legal Issues
Mar 20, 2008 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

razer

500+ Head-Fier
Hmmm, lets I'am in country A and MR X is in country B. I saw an ad on product Q by MR X and decided to buy it. So I payed MR X the money through paypal and waited for a long time yet I don't see what I get. Would it be possible to take legal actions against say MR X even if we're living in different countries? Would paypal help settle the issue?

I'am asking this cause I'am planning on getting an item from an unknown person online and am afraid that I'll probably be scammed....
confused.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, lets I'am in country A and MR X is in country B. I saw an ad on product Q by MR X and decided to buy it. So I payed MR X the money through paypal and waited for a long time yet I don't see what I get. Would it be possible to take legal actions against say MR X even if we're living in different countries? Would paypal help settle the issue?

I'am asking this cause I'am planning on getting an item from an unknown person online and am afraid that I'll probably be scammed....
confused.gif

You can take legal action, but it's not practical for small transactions (under a couple thousand dollars) because you have to go through a whole set of hurdles... e.g. how do you intend to get and prove service ex juris? Then once you get a judgment, how do you intend to enforce it (i.e. get paid)?

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

If you think there is high chance of being scammed, just don't do it.

If you are going to do it anyway, use paypal credit card payment. Paypal will likely not help you much if problems occur, but your credit card company will help you.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 7
First I would not use Paypal for anything you can't afford to lose. They are overrated crooks themselves. Tons of info about Paypal business practices and the wild west style of running that outfit.

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 7
The best bet would be to avoid the transaction if there's worries about it being a scam. However if it's a must have item, do use paypal credit card payment as Jon L has mentioned. In the case that paypal isn't going to do much, you'd be able to to try to get a charge back through the CC. (I don't know how Paypal would react to this...might be something to look into-since paypal accounts are usually tied to the user's bank account)

The last option would be to gather up some aliens, time-travelers, or espers
wink.gif

-btw. nice headphone collection

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best bet would be to avoid the transaction if there's worries about it being a scam. However if it's a must have item, do use paypal credit card payment as Jon L has mentioned. In the case that paypal isn't going to do much, you'd be able to to try to get a charge back through the CC. (I don't know how Paypal would react to this...might be something to look into-since paypal accounts are usually tied to the user's bank account)

The last option would be to gather up some aliens, time-travelers, or espers
wink.gif

-btw. nice headphone collection

Oh, I use paypal with my credit card....I hardly ever use paypal with credit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back