Paypal dispute resolution not good.
Jun 4, 2004 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
The first of May I won an auction on eBay and paid via Paypal right out of my bank account. I never received the item. I tried to contact the seller several times with only one runaraound reply. I finally filed a complaint with Paypal on May 25 or so. Today, I got this from Paypal, keep in mind that I had paid out $42.10
Quote:

Our investigation has determined that the seller is at fault, and as a
result we have attempted to recover your funds.
$0.58 USD has been credited to your account. This is the maximum amount we were able to recover. Please allow up to 5 days for this adjustment to be
reflected in your account.

What?
confused.gif
What happened to the rest of my money if the seller is at fault?
The guy had a perfect feedback, until the last of part of May when he evidently burned someone else on the same item.

update, I went to check on something at eBay and clicked on that auction and it now says "pay now" where it used to say "paid". It says invoice was sent today June 4
confused.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 27
I'm betting that that is what he had left in his account with PayPal. They're sort of sleezy about amounts like that. I have had a couple occasions where I had money in the PayPal account and used all of it up only to find out that there were still small amounts left in the account. I can only guess thatwhat they're trying to do is make sure that they have some of your money left to earn interest from, but I really think it sucks!

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 27
Mr. PD:

Call PayPal directly. Get in hold of their customer service or complaints resolution department(s) and get the name of the person with whom you are speaking. Tell them the specifics of the transaction and the e-mail message you received. This is something you have to argue over the telephone. It requires human interaction. What they are doing is wrong. You know it. Now, fight for it as soon as possible. People screw up every day but that's no excuse for what they are doing in your case.

Jun 5, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 27
That bites!!

Plus you have to wait 5 days for the 58 cents.

With PayPal, Ebay and Audiogon as useless as they are what’s stopping these guys from ripping everyone off? NOTHING!!

You know if PayPal wanted your Money they’d dig deep to get it.

Any amount is too much but thank goodness it was a moderately low amount. I think vwap got hosed for $400+ and got back 96 cents from PayPal.

Mitch

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 27
What a load of crap! I'd call them and b*tch eventhough I doubt you'll get anything back. But, you never know until you try. goodluck buddy!

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 27
All the more reason to pay by Visa. I got screwed once by some d*@k head on Ebay, but I paid with my Visa through PayPal, and Visa backed me up. I never once had to deal with PayPal.

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 27
That's total crap what paypal has just told you. Do give them a call and talk to someone who can resolve this problem. When it comes to refunding money to customers who have been shafted, paypal does very little and it seems they leave it you to resolve the problem.
mad.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 27
If you've paid by visa or mastercard, Call your credit card company, they will reverse the charges. I've posted a thread regarding this, just do a search.

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 27
i think paypal also has a limit of $2000 - lifetime total, maybe? - they will let you charge using a credit card. they are always after me to become "verified" - meaning give them access to my bank account. never. once that $2000 limit is reached, no more paypal purchases as far as i'm concerned. and btw, the ability of of credit card companies to intervene is recent - i think the companies forced it on paypal because they were getting so many complaints. doesn't speak well of paypal's practices.

you may want to cite this thread, mr. pd, in dealing with paypal. remind them of how many members this board has - all over the world. bad publicity is bad for business.

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 27
yup. had the same thing happen to me, only worse. bought a $200 mp3 player from a guy with 50+ good feedback that never arrived. paypal determined seller was at fault and credited me back like $50.. whatever was left in his account. they don't cover the difference, and tell you to go through Amazon (which is the same company, thanks jerks). SO amazon is even more dumb. you have to wait like 60 days and try to work it out, then you only have 30 days to do all this formal process that's a huge pain in the ass and basically everyone who actually has stuff to do will give up and just take the loss. they only cover $200 per auction anyway, and there's like a $30 processesing fee deduciton. absolute SOL policy. I didn't use eBay for about a year after that. Bought some small things recently, but it's totally buyer beware. something goes wrong? ha. don't even bother. stick with sellers who have tons of feedback, and try to contact them before you bid so you know if they have good communication.

Jun 5, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
.................................................. ........, and try to contact them before you bid so you know if they have good communication.

I ran into that once. I tried to contact a seller about some speaker mounts. They never replied so I never bid on their stuff.

I may try to call Paypal. But then again, it was only 42 bucks.

I am confused why eBay says there was an invoice sent on June 4th for the auction in question. I haven't received such an invoice. How can the auction show a pay now button when I paid for this over a month ago?
confused.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I ran into that once. I tried to contact a seller about some speaker mounts. They never replied so I never bid on their stuff.

I may try to call Paypal. But then again, it was only 42 bucks.

I am confused why eBay says there was an invoice sent on June 4th for the auction in question. I haven't received such an invoice. How can the auction show a pay now button when I paid for this over a month ago?
confused.gif

Probably their software renegs the transaction and therefore shows it as not paid now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back