Paul Pierce>> Kobe, did anyone see the game?
Feb 28, 2006 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
So did anyone watch this game on sunday night? I am not a big NBA fan, but I do like the celtics. The team is real young and I think has potential in the future. Plus Boston is awesome.

But back to the game.....So was it me or did Pierce just take Kobe to school? The game was really close and actaully one if the best NBA games I have seen in a long time, but I just loved seeing Pierce blow bast Kobe time and again. I think its time for me to buy some more celtics gear on ebay

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 12
It's interesting to see Paul Pierce & Co. got the win over the Lakers, with some dodgy calls from the referees. I don't rate Pierce as much as Bryant since the former just showed up for a few game (better recently after the All Star break?), and Kobe has been carrying the team on his shoulders all season long.

Time for Lamar to step up and get with the offense...

Overlunge

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Pierce has been having a career year .... but no ones noticed. Pierce has been awesome all year. Look at his point average vs the number of shots he attempts. He gets the same double teams that Kobe gets too.

I think Kobe is a great individual player ...... but I dont know he carries the team as much as he makes everybody else stagnant. The Lakers would be a better team if Kobe shared the ball more. Defense is also not Kobe's forte' and Pierce is tough to handle for anyone with his size and strength.

The Celtics young guys do look better and better. Why did they wait so long to give Gomes a chance ..... he, Perkins and Pierce are my favorite Celtics? D West has a good chance of becoming a premier guard. T Allen was primed for a break out season but the had the legal troubles and a knee injury thats still clearly affecting his jumping ability; once he is healthy though .... he is going to be good. K Perkins should have been playing from day one this season .... what was Doc thinking? He is a low post presence and when he is in the game the Celtics control the boards. A Jefferson keeps showing flashes of excellence but he is inconsistent and hampered by nagging ankle sprains. His potential may be the highest of any of the young guys though.

The future does look bright especially with all the draft picks Ainge has stockpiled. Now if they would just get a coach that could set a rotation, teach team defense, manage the clock, recognize mismatches and respond to the other teams runs with timely time outs ... they will rapidly improve!

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Kobe has made a number of all defensive teams so...

Biggie.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
Seriously, Kobe's one of the best 2's defensively since Jordan. I'm not sure where the no-defense rap comes from, but it's certainly not true.

Did ya see the game? Pierce made kobe look foolish on more than one occasion. Not saying Kobe is a bad defender, but its hard for anyone to stop my man paul

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Paul Pierce definitely has the ability to raise the level of his game when competing against excellent players like Kobe. Kobe's just not used to playing defense
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I think Kobe is a great individual player ...... but I dont know he carries the team as much as he makes everybody else stagnant. The Lakers would be a better team if Kobe shared the ball more.

No, the Lakers would be a better team if they had better players surrounding Kobe. It's really as simple as that. This is the Lakers starting lineup:

PG - Smush Parker
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Lamar Odom
PF - Kwame Brown
C - Chris Mihm

Aside from Bryant and maybe Odom, none of these guys have any business starting on an NBA team. Odom is robbing the Lakers for 12 million per. Parker was picked up in summer league. Kwame is, well, Kwame. And the first guys off the bench are guys like Sasha Vujacic (you've probably never heard of him) and Luke Walton.

I believe the Lakers lead the league in losses in games decided by 6 points or less. That is a sign of inexperience and youth. They're just not a good team. As great as Kobe is, he cannot make up for this. It's a miracle they have spent most of the season over the .500 mark.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Borat is right, after all, Kobe can't really pass if no one else can actually play...

And Odom has been a huge disappointment so far. All the pre-season comparisons to Pippen went out the window, and now he's lost in the triangle and just gives the rock to Kobe without thinking. I'm surprised that they are still in the playoff race.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Kobe can't really pass if no one else can actually play...

Lately the Lakers have been on a downfall and it has actually coincided with Kobe making a concerted effort to involve his other teammates. What happens is early in the game he will pass up shots to get his other teammates going. Naturally, because those guys aren't very good, they will miss open jumpshots and the Lakers fall behind early. They take an amazing amount of 3's by the way for a team that can't shoot them. Later in the game after it is clear that his teammates cannot keep pace on the offensive end, Kobe starts to look for his shot and shoots them back into the game. The Lakers begin to close in on the lead but often lose it in the closing minutes because of mental mistakes by the younger players (including Odom!) or failed defensive assignments in late game situations. It's like clockwork, I tell ya.
mad.gif

BTW, I did watch this game two nights ago and that late call that sent Pierce to the line was horsedoodie. Yes, that was a dumb mistake by Kobe to go for a steal like that, but you let the players decide the outcome of a game. You do not make that call if you're the ref. Pierce was not in any danger of losing that ball. You only make a late foul call at the end of a game on a drive, a clearly fouled jumpshooter, or an intentional foul. That's it. Calling a "ticky tack foul" out on the perimeter that doesn't even lead to a turnover is not acceptable.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 12
I've read somewhere on ESPN's website that during the month of Febuary, Kobe's scoring average is down from Janurary, and therefore the Lakers has a poorer record in Febuary... so there you go!

Pass the ball to Kobe! Until the Lakers get some decent players to step up and get with the plot, let Kobe carry the team.

Overlunge

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Exactly, Kobe is the only reason why the Lakers are still above .500 and holding onto the last playoff seed in the West. For all of Phil Jackson's grumbling about teamwork, there's a reason why Kobe is still allowed to jack up his shots, because Phil knows that if Kobe doesn't get his touches, the Lakers are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back