Pathos Aurium anyone?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by customcoco, Mar 25, 2013.

1. RickY B
    The biggest help i gave that amp was tossing the SMPS power supply ($15) and using a Linear Power Supply (LPS) Buy an HDPlex 200wt model and you will here superior imaging and 3D soundstage. I have boxes of tubes but for the last time, heard a very very small increase in SQ with Mullards and Amperex Holland Tubes. Even Inner Fidelity says the same about tube rolling with this amp. With the LPS it was huge. Goodnight Boys and Girls

2. hannibal
    I have been running Matsu-shi-tah &DJ8's that I got from Upscale Audio, but just got in a pair of NOS Bugle Boy 6DJ8's. Have not tried them yet. Also have not tried an LPS; The Pathos people did not seem to think it would make much of a difference, but I do have an HDPlex, so if i feel like reaching around the back of my rack I may give that a whirl.

3. Leotis
    I moved on from Pathos Aurium to Woo Audio WA5 and Wells Audio Headtrip. (With Abyss headphones.)
    Woo WA5 is near the top of the pile for tube HP amps, and Headtrip is near the top of the pile for SS HP amps.
    Had both those amps for the last year and a half, but let the Headtrip go because I like the Woo better.
    Solid state has its strengths and weaknesses. Tubes have their strengths and weaknesses.
    You overstate the case for solid state IMO.
    I can easily tell the difference between Telefunkin and Electro Harmonix in the Pathos. But those tubes are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Obviously YMMV.
    PS. Thanks for the power supply tip.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  4. doraymon
    I have an Sbooster high quality rpower supply compatible with the Aurium, I will give it a try and see if it changes anything.
    Where do you guys buy your tubes?

5. ivan1973
    Hi Ricky B, I'm interested in what you said about HDPLEX with Pathos, could you please describe in more detail what parameters and how much better listening? Right now I have both the Pathos and the V281 I like both my hope and that HDplex can give the Pathos a Po more dynamic speed and transparency, what can you tell me about it? Thank you.

6. RickY B
    Hi Ricky B, I'm interested in what you said about HDPLEX with Pathos, could you please describe in more detail what parameters and how much better listening? Right now I have both the Pathos and the V281 I like both my hope and that HDplex can give the Pathos a Po more dynamic speed and transparency, what can you tell me about it? Thank you.

It was two years ago but as my memory goes the soundstage opened up. I remember saying that the sound stage was more 3 dimensional. Overall a bigger more musical sound. I made a DC cable using the Oyaide 2.1mm Gold connector. I remember being very happy. The reason why Pathos won't admit it is because they would have to add many dollars onto the price for an outboard LPS. Just my opinion. All designers know that using an SMPS is a cheaper way out. Ask Ed Meitner of EMM Labs how important a good power supply is.
    I had a friend on the West Coast that bought the HDPlex for his pathos and he was very pleased as well. Get a decent cable from Ghent Audio. You might need to adapt it to the XLR on the HDPlex. The Return on Investment with the power supply far exceeded the money i spent on tube rolling with this amp. Many people say they here a difference with their $200 Telefunkens etc because they want to hear it. I'd bet your money if they tried identifying them blindly they'd all fail. Just my opinion