Patchmix gurus...
Aug 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

doctorcilantro

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay. Here's a scenario.

Externally lock EMU1212M to Lavry AD-10 at 96Khz. Record at 24/96.

Samplitude monitors the input and sends to ASIO out.

With Patchmix, attenuate the ASIO (which runs out to a Lavry DA-10), by 10db.

EMU Patchmix runs at 32bit internally; I would keep Samplitude at 24bit.

I'm trying to find out if:

Patchmix uses 32bit internal processing. If I set Samplitude 10 to use 24bit to record a 24bit/96khz input (from Lavry AD-10) using an ASIO Send, AND monitor that recording via ASIO OUT 1&2...how do I best maintain the integrity of the monitored signal (playback)?

Assuming I don't use any digital attenuation on the Patchmix ASIO strip:

1. Use an a SEND S/PDIF output in Master
2. Use an a SEND S/PDIF output in the specific ASIO 1&2 coming from Samplitude.

Currently I use a Send S/PDIF output in the Master because this allows both Wave and ASIO output to make it to the same device (Benchmark DAC1). Currently, video playback on most HTPCs utilize wave output for DirectShow). Anyway, I'm not so concerned about bit-perfect, but if I needed to have bit-[perfect, is the ASIO S/PDIF output preferable in the Master or specific ASIO out strip. Is dither applied as in the Master or is it only if processing is engaged (i.e. digital attenuation)? When does 32bit internal "kick-in" (with trim pots I assume but what about faders). All my output strips are pre-fader.

I want to keep the 24bit output "clean" and I am not so much worried about losing a few bits (if I decide to use digital attenuation) on an ASIO out strip rather than having dither applied when I'm not doing any processing post-Samplitude. I just want Patchmix to output to an external DAC w/o adding dither if I 'm using the Master strip (with send to s/pdif) bit not "doing anything" else to the signal.

dc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back