PASS DIY Headphone Amp - WHAMMY
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #46 of 274
This is my latest project, trying to mount a round hybrid board in an 8 ball and such. 8 ball coaster.jpg coaster amps.jpg I like a challenge, I may even mount one inside a scotch bottle.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #48 of 274
Think I am ready to start my build at last. Some of my mouser parts were on back order but I found my transformer and my case ordered from China (Aliexpress) has turned up as well :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_7789.JPG
    IMG_7789.JPG
    997 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #49 of 274
what kind of case did you get from China?

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #51 of 274
OK making some progress but found I missed a couple of things a snubbing capacitor and the heatsink mounting bolts lol

While I wait for those to arrive I have some holes to make in the enclosure.

Not sure what output caps I'm going to use yet I have a few options to hand just need to see what I can fit.

IMG_7858.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #52 of 274
It looks like you are moving right along, I pretty much had everything when I started so it was a quick build. Great price on the cabinet!

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 274
Nearly there, I am going to fix the volume pot to the front panel with leads back to the pcb this allows me to set the pcb back around 50mm from the front of the enclosure and gives bit of space to experiment with different output caps.

10146170.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #55 of 274
At least you do have some extra room, my build was pretty tight. I did move the 1/4 inch jack over some for a more balanced look on the front panel and that was more work than I intended it to be.:)

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #56 of 274
Tom its funny how things always end up more work than you intend. All I have left to do is fit and hook up the volume pot and headphone jack I was thinking another 15-20mins and I would be done and playing tunes tonight. However the fly in the ointment is the nice 10mm thick aluminium front panel it's to thick to mount my parts to and I need to mill out a recess on the back side of the panel so it is thin for the threaded bits to poke through on the front side enough to get their nuts on. Fingers crossed I can machine the recesses out using a flat bit in a pillar drill at work tomorrow.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #57 of 274
coaster.jpg Tell me about it lol, even though copper is considered a soft metal when it is thick enough it takes a while to cut square openings in it lol.

I love the term "pillar drill", it sounds so much nicer than drill press. Most of my current work is with round pc boards, I love the challenge and every now and then you find things that fit the boards well if you think about it enough. Jimmers came up with the plastic covering for a security camera but the hand sculpture is an idea I lifted from MC Escher's Reflections drawing.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #58 of 274
However the fly in the ointment is the nice 10mm thick aluminium front panel it's to thick to mount my parts to and I need to mill out a recess on the back side of the panel so it is thin for the threaded bits to poke through on the front side enough to get their nuts on. Fingers crossed I can machine the recesses out using a flat bit in a pillar drill at work tomorrow.
Doh, that's no fun. Using a Forstner bit I assume? I should have gotten a larger chassis for my build, I used the smallest pot I had and it's literally a mm away from one of the capacitors on the board.

Paladin I assume you are continuing to experiment with the Schiit coasters at the moment? :D

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #59 of 274
coaster 2.jpg Yes, the interesting thing was that Jason at Schiit sent out boards, a schematic and bom to anyone who asked for them. I got a couple and had a heck of a time getting one going. I asked for a photo and found a slight error in the schematic and bom so I guess I was the first person in the country other than Jason to get one going. Lots of tiny surface mount parts and a few through hole parts. That board fits perfectly inside a Mattel magic 8 ball, but it takes a couple men and a small boy to open one, but once opened, it is glorious. I enjoy a challenge and in effect I was doing beta testing.

Here is a four headphone rack I did for a buddy with all copper and brass, Coaster amp in center.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back