Parts I need to build Buffalo II with attenuator
Jul 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been asked a million times,  I just don't feel like doing the research.  

I want to get the cheapest case possible.  I assume I will require a drill to drill holes for audio connection stuff.  I want to use it with IEMs, so I want to get a analog attenuator.  To maximize quality of sound, do you guys suggest attenuator or amp?  And, the important part is why?  Is there an analog attenuator chip built in to the board?  I don't want any bit loss.

Can somebody experience with the build provide me with a list of parts I need for my scenario?  Thanks.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 5
For the best possible sound quality, I strongly suggest you use the ES9018's internal digital volume control.  You don't "lose bits."  it attenuates the output without adding noise, as all analog solutions will do.  If you go this route, the Buffalo-III just needs a pot to make it happen.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Brian,
Is this solution the same as the volumite or a new addition to the Bufalo III? I've read there is bit loss with the volumite, but since it's implemented with a 32bit chip the ratio is negligible.
-John

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 5
John, the noise of extra connections and resistors in the signal path will far outweigh anything you may lose with the onboard pot, ive been using it for years and i wouldnt have it any other way, its like it isnt there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back