Partable amp for HiFiMAN HE-400
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eye-scream

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Posts
3
Likes
0
Need a portable amp for HiFiMAN HE-400. I narrowed down my possible options to C&C BH, FiiO E12, Little-Bear B-1, Digizoid Zo, JDSLabs C5, and a custom Cmoy (3X Nichicon KW Capacitors, JRC4556 Dual Op Amp, two 9v batteries). Any suggestions which of these bad boys would provide the best synergy with this HiFiMAN orthoprodigy? Thanks. 
 
Apr 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 9

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Posts
38,488
Likes
1,158
Quote:
Need a portable amp for HiFiMAN HE-400. I narrowed down my possible options to C&C BH, FiiO E12, Little-Bear B-1, Digizoid Zo, JDSLabs C5, and a custom Cmoy (3X Nichicon KW Capacitors, JRC4556 Dual Op Amp, two 9v batteries). Any suggestions which of these bad boys would provide the best synergy with this HiFiMAN orthoprodigy? Thanks. 

"Welcome to head fi! Sorry about your wallet"
 
May I first ask the purpose for the amp?
 
As in, will you be taking the HE 400's and portable amp to go out and about in the city? Or will you mainly be using it at home as a movable desktop setup. Many buy portable amps to use at home so that they can move about and carry it around at home.
 
Apr 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 9

eye-scream

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Posts
3
Likes
0
Given their size, sound leakage, and their non-existence of isolation, I don't foresee myself walking with these outside. So, definitely for moving around the apartment, and primarily for comfortably vegetating on a couch.
 
Apr 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 9

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Posts
38,488
Likes
1,158
Quote:
Given their size, sound leakage, and their non-existence of isolation, I don't foresee myself walking with these outside. So, definitely for moving around the apartment, and primarily for comfortably vegetating on a couch.

I can relate 
biggrin.gif

 
HE owners in the FiiO E17 thread seemed to like it with their HE's but of course it really isn't know.
 
I would look at individual reviews that feature both the HE 400 and a speciifc amp
 
May 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 9

lausar

Member of the Trade: Integra Tech
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Posts
25
Likes
10
Quote:
Need a portable amp for HiFiMAN HE-400. I narrowed down my possible options to C&C BH, FiiO E12, Little-Bear B-1, Digizoid Zo, JDSLabs C5, and a custom Cmoy (3X Nichicon KW Capacitors, JRC4556 Dual Op Amp, two 9v batteries). Any suggestions which of these bad boys would provide the best synergy with this HiFiMAN orthoprodigy? Thanks. 

C5.
 
May 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 9

tintin220

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2009
Posts
244
Likes
21
The C5 is easily the best of the batch. I know you didn't consider it, but I think the O2 is the best sounding amp in its price range, portable, transportable, or not by no small margin. Either the O2 or C5 would be a phenomenal choice to pair with the HE-400, which is fairly easy to drive compared to some other orthos. If you end up getting more power hungry headphones, I would take the O2 over the C5, as insane output wasn't one of the design goals of the C5. The C5 has a digital pot too, which is just awesome for sensitive phones.
 
May 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 9

eye-scream

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Posts
3
Likes
0
I am considering getting O2, but for AH-D600 rather than HE-400. I'm afraid that in the case of HE-400, O2 won't be able to provide enough bass punch and bass impact. C5 has an excellent bass boost so no worries here. Have you tried O2 with AH-D600? It has enough bass quantity on its own, but I think it could certainly use a bigger O2 sound stage. Also, any idea how O2 fares against Shonyun 306 and AMBLabs Mini 3 (presumably both have a relatively spacious sound stage)?
 
May 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 9

tintin220

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2009
Posts
244
Likes
21
Quote:
I am considering getting O2, but for AH-D600 rather than HE-400. I'm afraid that in the case of HE-400, O2 won't be able to provide enough bass punch and bass impact. C5 has an excellent bass boost so no worries here. Have you tried O2 with AH-D600? It has enough bass quantity on its own, but I think it could certainly use a bigger O2 sound stage. Also, any idea how O2 fares against Shonyun 306 and AMBLabs Mini 3 (presumably both have a relatively spacious sound stage)?

 
I have never listened to the AH-D600 so I can't speculate on that, but I'm of the opinion that HiFiMAN orthos already have enough bass impact not to need any bass boosting. Granted, I'm not a basshead, so maybe you prefer more bass than I do. The C5 has outstanding battery life too, so that's another reason you might want to consider it over the O2, which also isn't as portable. 
 
Never heard the Shonyun 3, but I do not like the Mini3. I had one once upon a time, and honestly, it didn't sound much better than a Cmoy, if at all. It just doesn't hold its weight anymore with the vast number of better sounding, cheaper options available today. The O2 is miles out of its league. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top